More Entertaining? Godzilla (1998) vs. Godzilla (2014)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Godzilla (1998) or Godzilla (2014)

Godzilla (1998)
19%
Godzilla (2014)
81%

Total votes: 59

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

More Entertaining? Godzilla (1998) vs. Godzilla (2014)

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

When Godzilla 2014 came out, it was no surprise some fans were drawn on whether or not it truly was the superior version of the American attempt. So let's have that debate here, which was more entertaining, which would you prefer to watch, let's hear what you think.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: The Better Movie? Godzilla (1998) vs. Godzilla (2014)

Post by Maritonic »

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is going to be a HILARIOUSLY slanted poll. Is this really a contest?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I don't know, a lot of people find the monster action in Godzilla 1998 to be more entertaining than Godzilla 2014's 5 minutes of it.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Seriously? I know for some reason I am in the minority in finding 2014 far superior to either Skull Island or Shin Godzilla, but I like to think it was at least unquestionably better than 1998.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I don't know, a lot of people find the monster action in Godzilla 1998 to be more entertaining than Godzilla 2014's 5 minutes of it.
I've literally never heard one person, in this fandom or in life, say anything *genuinely* good about Godzilla 98. Usually it's "not as bad as people say it is" or nostalgic appreciation. Comparing the quality of film, all around, of these two is like comparing Star Wars and Troma's War. It's laughable.
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:I don't know, a lot of people find the monster action in Godzilla 1998 to be more entertaining than Godzilla 2014's 5 minutes of it.
I've literally never heard one person, in this fandom or in life, say anything *genuinely* good about Godzilla 98. Usually it's "not as bad as people say it is" or nostalgic appreciation. Comparing the quality of film, all around, of these two is like comparing Star Wars and Troma's War. It's laughable.
I mean, I once had someone argue to me on Facebook that G'98 and Aliens had the exact same plot (not at all true), and therefore if I consider Aliens a good movie, I must therefore also admit that G'98 is a good movie (really doesn't follow logically at all).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I think this is an case of apples and oranges. On one hand Godzilla (1998) was more of a fun fast-paced entertaining popcorn flick, whereas Godzilla (2014) was more serious and tense-building.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I mean, I once had someone argue to me on Facebook that G'98 and Aliens had the exact same plot (not at all true), and therefore if I consider Aliens a good movie, I must therefore also admit that G'98 is a good movie (really doesn't follow logically at all).
Wow. That. Man. I don't even have anything to say to that.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I was almost going to type out several well-reasoned arguments for why G14 was much better. But I mean... come on. COME ON!!!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I was almost going to type out several well-reasoned arguments for why G14 was much better. But I mean... come on. COME ON!!!
Yeah that's what I'm saying. There really is no argument.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I was almost going to type out several well-reasoned arguments for why G14 was much better. But I mean... come on. COME ON!!!
I guess I like the lighting and color pallet in G'98 better.

That's it. That's all I've got.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

I'll give you that I guess, yeah.

Jean Reno is more entertaining than Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Oh, and I like the opening theme to '98!

It's so surprising when I remember that there are things about that movie that I don't dislike!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Lol. Okay, if we’re seriosuly doing this, then I guess I like the intro to G98 better than the extremely similar one in G14. The staging and editing is terrific, and I prefer the score. It really does a great job of getting across the monstrosity of the bomb itself.

And then the ship attack is fine, and then we get to Chernobyl and whoops! It’s a bad movie.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Lol. Okay, if we’re seriosuly doing this, then I guess I like the intro to G98 better than the extremely similar one in G14. The staging and editing is terrific, and I prefer the score. It really does a great job of getting across the monstrosity of the bomb itself.

And then the ship attack is fine, and then we get to Chernobyl and whoops! It’s a bad movie.
HAHAH you basically summed it up. Ship attack is fine, awesome, and then yeah no. Not so much. Agreed.

As awesome as the intro to 98 is, I still actually prefer the intro to '14. Really got me hyped up. But yeah, the intro to 98 is a high point for sure.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

HAHAH you basically summed it up. Ship attack is fine, awesome, and then yeah no. Not so much. Agreed.

As awesome as the intro to 98 is, I still actually prefer the intro to '14. Really got me hyped up. But yeah, the intro to 98 is a high point for sure.
I like the opening credits to both movies, in their own ways, but I do prefer the opening theme to '98.

While I'll generally defend the entire first act of G'98, that's still at the level of, "Passably entertaining, competently staged and shot, but nothing terribly special."

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I just know someone with an irrational hate boner for G14 is gonna come along and try to argue how it's worse than the pregnant iguana movie. There's always that one guy.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I prefer both the editing and the score- one of two best pieces, for me- in G14, but I totally get preferring 98 in that regard. David Arnold always knows what he's doing.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I derive more ironic value from Godzilla (1998) than I enjoy watching Godzilla (2014). Cranston was the heart of the Legendary film and it completely nosedives in quality with his departure. Afterwards its only competent, at best, with a couple of interesting moments in the third act. But I also remember the initial thirty minutes or so of the Tri-Star film being quite good. It only loses its way once Godzilla is fully revealed and legitimately falls apart whenever the nest enters the picture. And David Arnold's score trounces what Alexandre Desplat did for Legendary.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Godzilla 2014 is a competently directed film that suffers from weak writing in regards to its main character. Godzilla 1998 suffers that same issue, but much worse in that the script is filled with constant continuity errors. The 2014 Godzilla at least felt believable in regards to how people reacted to the events that were happening.

However, I enjoy Godzilla 1998 as a poorly made guilty pleasure that's a product of its time. It (rightfully) never would be made today, so its nice to sit down and watch a movie that illustrates just how dumb mainstream American blockbusters got at their peak.