Enough OP Godzillas, focus more on INTRESTING

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Re: Enough OP Godzillas, focus more on INTRESTING

Post by G.Escanor »

LockBite wrote:I think we can call Godzilla Earth the peak, yeah. Legengoji is enormous already, definitely bigger than the 108 meters they throw around if you look at shots like his trip the ocean in the finale.

You know what killed this size war, actually? That nonsensically gigantic cloverfield monster they puked out for Paradox, so big you’d see the friggin thing from space. I mean that’s over the line, as if Hollywood was giving an unintentional reminder of how stupid this could quickly get.
I can totally agree on that, since the creature had grown from a reasonable size in comparison to other giant monsters to being able to have it head peak over the clouds. That would make it somewhere around 6,000 meters! that's insane, and will need a pretty good explanation to even make it relevant or necessary.
ShinEscanor156

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

My opinion on this varies. I think it largely depends on Godzilla's involvement. Is he the villain of the story? Then making Godzilla overpowered might help so long as we're rooting for the underdogs. If Godzilla is the hero of the story, I'd most certainly downgrade his power. Now he's still a force to be reckoned with because he's Godzilla, but there needs to be an element of conflict in order to make his fights interesting.

Then again, if you're like me, you're probably rooting for Godzilla no matter what. So, uh, yeah... 8-)
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

We should also keep in mind how Godzilla is brought to life - they shrunk him down for the Millennium era to put more detail back into the miniatures. When you've got an animated Godzilla like Legendary/Shin/Anime you don't have to worry about that as much.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Just for the record, I never said Shin was OP, I said the promos and characters over-hyped him. While powerful, he did have a weakness of overheating. And the OP thing made sense in context of the movie as there is no other monster and in the long run he will keep mutating into something new, but as we see him at his latest he'd still be killed by something like Heisei Godzilla.

And speaking of weakness, the filmmakers do seem to be somewhat aware that they might be making him too strong so they give him some weakness so he can be in some danger. Legendary's armor is offset by his gills and old age, Shin's lasers by overheating, and Earth, or Filius at least by it's generator organ in it's spines. Seems they took a page from Heisei's second brain.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Size wise, 100 meters is quite big enough, but I have no problem seeing buildings taller than Godzilla.

Power wise, most incarnations weren't overpowered in my opinion. Showa, Heisei, and Millenium both showed vulnerability when facing other kaiju. I will say the GMK Godzilla came close to being overpowered, but he was fighting monsters that weren't at full strength.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

G.Escanor wrote:
LockBite wrote:I think we can call Godzilla Earth the peak, yeah. Legengoji is enormous already, definitely bigger than the 108 meters they throw around if you look at shots like his trip the ocean in the finale.

You know what killed this size war, actually? That nonsensically gigantic cloverfield monster they puked out for Paradox, so big you’d see the friggin thing from space. I mean that’s over the line, as if Hollywood was giving an unintentional reminder of how stupid this could quickly get.
I can totally agree on that, since the creature had grown from a reasonable size in comparison to other giant monsters to being able to have it head peak over the clouds. That would make it somewhere around 6,000 meters! that's insane, and will need a pretty good explanation to even make it relevant or necessary.
I’m actually thankful for it, because it could potentially inhibit the size wars. Nothing is going to beat that, and anything approaching it would be stupid.