The one that keeps getting away

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

The one that keeps getting away

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Which toho and/or other kaiju film have you always meant to get around to seeing, but for some reason it just keeps eluding you? Maybe you haven't been able to find it, or maybe tracking it down just keeps escaping your mind.

For me, it's Mothra (1961) and Varan. I think I've seen just about every other Toho film from the showa era, but I've never been able to find a copy of Mothra. I guess I could look online... but whatever, I just haven't yet. Varan is even less excusable - I actually already own it, and have done for years. Like maybe even ten years. Just haven't watched it yet. :?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Re: The one that keeps getting away

Post by Cybermat47 »

For me, it’s The Mysterians and Dogora.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Half Human is the obvious answer. Aside from that, I have yet to see Gorath, The Three Treasures, or War in Space.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Half Human, likewise, and Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds, I think- unless that was another studio? Regardless, it's the one we always kept almost-watching but never did.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Son of Godzilla, still can't get my hands on a copy, never seen it air on tv even once.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ivo-goji wrote:Son of Godzilla, still can't get my hands on a copy, never seen it air on tv even once.
Oh wow, you're missing out. In my opinion, one of the top 10.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ivo-goji wrote:Son of Godzilla, still can't get my hands on a copy, never seen it air on tv even once.
Used to be one of most available ones when that Sony line come out in 2004, but I guess that edition is probably hard to find by now. Hope you manage to track it down!

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla have both skyrocketed in price since they've been out of print and no one picked up the rights after Sony. Thankfully they should be available for reasonable prices again whenever Criterion decides to physically release the Godzilla films it acquired.

And yeah, while people tend to write Son of Godzilla off, I consider it one of my favorites and one of the best entries in the series. Definitely worth getting when it's finally available for a reasonable price.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Which toho and/or other kaiju film have you always meant to get around to seeing, but for some reason it just keeps eluding you? Maybe you haven't been able to find it, or maybe tracking it down just keeps escaping your mind.

For me, it's Mothra (1961) and Varan. I think I've seen just about every other Toho film from the showa era, but I've never been able to find a copy of Mothra. I guess I could look online... but whatever, I just haven't yet. Varan is even less excusable - I actually already own it, and have done for years. Like maybe even ten years. Just haven't watched it yet. :?
Track down either Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection or the Sci-fi Creature Collection. Both are relatively cheap on Amazon. So far it's only available in those collections. Icons of Sci-Fi is both dubbed and subtitled while the Creature Collection only had the dub.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

If you have Dish, it's on On Demand. Sub and everything.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love the Titra dub of Son of Godzilla. I find it only adds to the film's charm. Hope Criterion can track that dub down for their eventual home video release.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I love the Titra dub of Son of Godzilla. I find it only adds to the film's charm. Hope Criterion can track that dub down for their eventual home video release.
I actually really enjoy that dub too. I remember I found a dub online not too long ago and got really excited, only to find out it was just the international one.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Mothra has been available on DVD for years and is still in-print. Not much of an excuse there. Son of Godzilla, if you're simply not a fan of torrenting or bootlegs, is currently available with Starz on Amazon Prime (subtitled, even). You can sign up for a free trial.

Anyways, for me its gotta be Submersion of Japan, along with some of their war efforts. I just...need to buy those bootlegs.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Zarm wrote:Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds, I think- unless that was another studio? Regardless, it's the one we always kept almost-watching but never did.
I see that you too are a man of culture.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Last Days of Planet Earth aka Prophecies of Nostradamus
The War in Space
Last War

I would also love to see the Titra/Titan dubs included on future releases of Godzilla Vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Destroy All Monsters.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Legend of Dinosaurs & Monster Birds is from Toei. Someone in a similar thread mentioned a lot of their toku films needing proper releases. Something like the When Horror Came to Shochiku set would be great.

As for Toho with the Bloodthirsty trilogy coming out it would be great to see their other horror and disaster films which are somewhat more niche and obscure compared to the straight sci-fi/monster stuff.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Half-Human and Latitude Zero for me. The former is just out of laziness, since I've had copies of the U.S. and Japanese versions for years now. :lol:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Pkmatrix wrote:Half-Human and Latitude Zero for me. The former is just out of laziness, since I've had copies of the U.S. and Japanese versions for years now. :lol:
Oh, definitely treat yourself to Latitude Zero! That's a fun movie.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Maritonic wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:Half-Human and Latitude Zero for me. The former is just out of laziness, since I've had copies of the U.S. and Japanese versions for years now. :lol:
About ten years ago I had the opportunity to buy the DVD at a small (long closed now) shop in Secaucus, NJ...but, I passed on it figuring I'd have no trouble picking it up some time later. I've literally never found it again. :lol: I'm trying to avoid just pirating it as I'd like to have the case too, but alas...

EDIT: Holy crap, it's only $25 on Amazon now??! I thought it was more like $225! Imma buy that NOW! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Bought Latitude Zero as well as the BDs for Them! and The Valley of Gwangi (that last one I'd totally forgotten was to be released!).
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
About ten years ago I had the opportunity to buy the DVD at a small (long closed now) shop in Secaucus, NJ...but, I passed on it figuring I'd have no trouble picking it up some time later. I've literally never found it again. :lol: I'm trying to avoid just pirating it as I'd like to have the case too, but alas...

EDIT: Holy crap, it's only $25 on Amazon now??! I thought it was more like $225! Imma buy that NOW! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Bought Latitude Zero as well as the BDs for Them! and The Valley of Gwangi (that last one I'd totally forgotten was to be released!).
Re: Them! Did you get the single, or go for that box set that comes with Them!, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong?