Godzilla: full series run through

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Godzilla: full series run through

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The other day I realized it’s probably been over a year since I actually sat and watched a kaiju film the entire way through, and I’m itching to watch some. I’ve had the idea to watch the entire Godzilla series in production order (live action and Japanese only). I’ve see every film before, but never in order on purpose.

Has anyone done this already? How did it go? Did you burn out and need to take a break?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Godzilla: full series run through

Post by Maritonic »

Does...does this need it's own thread?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've not done the WHOLE series, but I've done week-long runs of the Showa, Versus, and Millennium eras before. :) When I did Showa the intention was to do ALL of it, but I ended up burning out by the time I got to Terror of Mechagodzilla and just capped it off there

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:Does...does this need it's own thread?
Honestly, it’s far more deserving of a separate thread than something like “What if Godzilla and Gamera were friends???” or “What if Godzilla fought this random villain from Blade???”. There might already be a marathon thread though.

I did a marathon before seeing Shin Godzilla. I managed to get through Showa and Heisei easily enough, but burned out immensely towards the end of the Millennium series, causing me to hate the last two films for a long time due to my bad memories of that marathon.

I think I can do it again for GKOTM, but I’ll probably take a page from Canuck’s book and only do live action.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I did... sort of a round-robin starting at Biollante, through to the end of Millenium/2014 (at the time), then looping back around to Showa. With a few stops in the middle for, say, the Gamera trilogy and the Mothra trilogy, and rewatching a few favorites or alternate American versions. So not quite. When we finish our current marathon of Superhero films, we're planning on hitting the Godzilla films in order. (Which we also sort of did a few years ago, with my brother-in-law).

We watched weekly- and in fact, had an easier time keeping the regular schedule and staying invested than we have been watching the Superman, Batman, Spider-man, etc. big-budget franchises! So, take that for what you will.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

No, never. I'm usually satisfied with watching one movie at a time. Watching too much stuff too close together ruins the experience for me.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

UltramanGoji wrote:“What if Godzilla fought this random villain from Blade???”
I don't know, Godzilla vs a giant Stephen Dorff would be pretty cool.

I would very much recommend anyone who hasn't watched the series in order to do so. You could pace yourself out by just doing one or two movies a day, that's what I usually do. Watching the series for the first time in that way really helped put the overall series and its growth into perspective for me, some films I didn't like so much I liked a lot more and vice versa. It made changes the character underwent a lot less sudden - stuff like Showa Godzilla becoming a hero and all that.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

tbeasley wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:“What if Godzilla fought this random villain from Blade???”
I don't know, Godzilla vs a giant Stephen Dorff would be pretty cool.

I would very much recommend anyone who hasn't watched the series in order to do so. You could pace yourself out by just doing one or two movies a day, that's what I usually do. Watching the series for the first time in that way really helped put the overall series and its growth into perspective for me, some films I didn't like so much I liked a lot more and vice versa. It made changes the character underwent a lot less sudden - stuff like Showa Godzilla becoming a hero and all that.
I think I’m gonna try it, it’s not like I fail a test or anything if I burn out. Ill just watch each next film as I feel like, taking breaks as I want them. The only hard and fast rule is that I can’t watch any out of order.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've watched the full series in order multiple times (well, the last time was when the "full series" still ended with GFW). It's always been spread out over a span of weeks, months or years, though. Basically, it's, "Whenever I feel like watching a Godzilla movie, it'll be the next one chronologically." (Actually, that last time through, which is when I was showing the series to my wife, it was all Toho kaiju flicks, not just the Godzilla entries.)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

It’s also a good excuse to watch some I haven’t in a very long time, or only once. I’m pretty sure I’ve only seen GRA one time, and AMA not since I was a little kid - probably never even put the DVD in. :lol:

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

For King of the Monsters I plan on watching Gojira, Rodan, Mothra, GTTHM, G14, and maybe Skull Island.

For Godzilla vs Kong though I'm doing all the Godzilla and Kong movies. Maybe even the other Toho kaiju films.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'll probably marathon the series right before Godzilla: King of the Monsters comes out. I've never done it before so I'm pretty excited to try it. I'll watch a film a day, but I might sacrifice the anime trilogy if the next two parts aren't better than the first. Also, I'll probably save G14 for last and I'll watch it the same day I see KOTM, if I'm not busy during the day. I'll also watch Kong:
Skull Island
the day before so I can watch them in order of the timeline.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I did the whole series, English dubbed, before the 2014 film came out. I think I had everything on blu-ray or DVD except for Returns/1985. I watched the MonstersHD rip of that. Still mad we don't have 1985 on blu-ray.

It really didn't take that long as so many of the films are less than 90 minutes long.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Marathon'd all 30 of the movies in the 30 days prior to Shin Godzilla's US premier. First time I ever did anything like that. Did nothing but increase my hype. Recommended experience.
Last edited by Jatahaxe on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsters are the real people.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

SG-17 wrote:I did the whole series, English dubbed, before the 2014 film came out. I think I had everything on blu-ray or DVD except for Returns/1985. I watched the MonstersHD rip of that. Still mad we don't have 1985 on blu-ray.

It really didn't take that long as so many of the films are less than 90 minutes long.
We actually do now! :) Granted, it’s just the Japanese version, not Godzilla 1985 technically.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blu-ray/ret ... ing16.html
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
SG-17 wrote:I did the whole series, English dubbed, before the 2014 film came out. I think I had everything on blu-ray or DVD except for Returns/1985. I watched the MonstersHD rip of that. Still mad we don't have 1985 on blu-ray.

We actually do now! :) Granted, it’s just the Japanese version, not Godzilla 1985 technically.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blu-ray/ret ... ing16.html
Oh I know, but I like 85 with Raymond Burr better.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

So last night I started and watched Gojira. Pretty good film actually! ;)

I won’t necessarily do them every day, but I’m definitely feeling GRA tonight.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuCanuck wrote:So last night I started and watched Gojira. Pretty good film actually! ;)
Really? I hear the fandom hates it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:So last night I started and watched Gojira. Pretty good film actually! ;)
Really? I hear the fandom hates it.
Well yeah, I know it’s a pretty controversial entry but I’m not afraid to take a stand here and say that I liked it. Come at me trolls!!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Gojira is top 5 of the franchise for me. It's arguably the best or second best of the entire series. Incredible piece of filmmaking.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.