If you could have any director direct a Godzilla film...

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: If you could have any director direct a Godzilla film...

Post by darthzilla99 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:both the dog dies
You lost me there. Any movie having a dog die on-screen sets me away from it.
I see. I remember lots of people saying it was a cop-out that the dog survived.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

darthzilla99 wrote:I see. I remember lots of people saying it was a cop-out that the dog survived.
That's one of my quirks with movies. I won't watch a movie if it has a dog dying but otherwise if they turn out find nor they don't show it off-screen will I then. That's why I didn't watch the John Wick movies.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

I know the divisive reaction of SW: TLJ, but I could like seeing Rian Johnson or Matt Reeves directing a Godzilla film, and, as someone said before , if Gamera ends up having an American film, I think Del Toro would do a great job with the source material! As long as Bay (the lover of explosions) or Snyder (just like Bay but if Bay actually believes that his explosions are deep and meaningful with pseudo-symbolism) don´t get to direct a Godzilla film, everything will be fine. Also, if Akira Kurosawa ended up directing a Toho Godzilla films before he died, I think we could have gotten a masterpiece of a film! :D.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MrGoji1999 wrote:I know the divisive reaction of SW: TLJ, but I could like seeing Rian Johnson or Matt Reeves directing a Godzilla film, and, as someone said before , if Gamera ends up having an American film, I think Del Toro would do a great job with the source material! As long as Bay (the lover of explosions) or Snyder (just like Bay but if Bay actually believes that his explosions are deep and meaningful with pseudo-symbolism) don´t get to direct a Godzilla film, everything will be fine. Also, if Akira Kurosawa ended up directing a Toho Godzilla films before he died, I think we could have gotten a masterpiece of a film! :D.
Matt Reeves yes. Rian Johnson though skreeonk no!!!!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MrGoji1999 wrote:I know the divisive reaction of SW: TLJ, but I could like seeing Rian Johnson or Matt Reeves directing a Godzilla film, and, as someone said before , if Gamera ends up having an American film, I think Del Toro would do a great job with the source material! As long as Bay (the lover of explosions) or Snyder (just like Bay but if Bay actually believes that his explosions are deep and meaningful with pseudo-symbolism) don´t get to direct a Godzilla film, everything will be fine. Also, if Akira Kurosawa ended up directing a Toho Godzilla films before he died, I think we could have gotten a masterpiece of a film! :D.
Matt Reeves yes. Rian Johnson though skreeonk no!!!!
Well, thats why I said that I know the divisive reaction to The Last Jedi, its just that I loved that film for all the different yet familiar things that it did to the Star Wars franchise. At least is better than the prequels :P but back to a dream director directing a Godzilla film, I could like Steven Spielberg or David Fincher as other candidates for directing a G film.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MrGoji1999 wrote:Well, thats why I said that I know the divisive reaction to The Last Jedi, its just that I loved that film for all the different yet familiar things that it did to the Star Wars franchise. At least is better than the prequels :P but back to a dream director directing a Godzilla film, I could like Steven Spielberg or David Fincher as other candidates for directing a G film.
I still say Matt Reeves is the best choice. :huge:

I did like Cloverfield and absolutely loved Dawn and War of the Planet of the Apes. All movies I enjoyed, he's an brilliant director.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I absolutely loved The Last Jedi and that kind of risk taking is something I would love to see done with Godzilla.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

GalacticPetey wrote:I absolutely loved The Last Jedi and that kind of risk taking is something I would love to see done with Godzilla.
Agreed, altough I still loved both G14 and K:SI the way they were, but an American Godzilla film separate of the Monsterverse with a TLJ style direction would be great!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MrGoji1999 wrote:Well, thats why I said that I know the divisive reaction to The Last Jedi, its just that I loved that film for all the different yet familiar things that it did to the Star Wars franchise. At least is better than the prequels :P but back to a dream director directing a Godzilla film, I could like Steven Spielberg or David Fincher as other candidates for directing a G film.
Didn't Fincher almost direct the Godzilla vs Gryphon script before D&E threw everything out the window?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Didn't Fincher almost direct the Godzilla vs Gryphon script before D&E threw everything out the window?
I din´t know that, a shame that not only that film din´t get to be released, but also that Fincher din´t direct the script of that film :(.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GalacticPetey wrote:I absolutely loved The Last Jedi and that kind of risk taking is something I would love to see done with Godzilla.
Agreed.

I'd definitely take a Johnson Godzilla movie in a heartbeat over either the proficient but safe and lifeless approach of a Matt reeves movie, or the extreme heavy-handedness one can count on from Del Toro or Snyder.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Didn't we get risk taking with Shin Godzilla and the anime film (s)? ;) I agree I think Johnson would be a great choice.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think a lot of the names brought up so far wouldn't touch the franchise or character one way or the other. If you've got something like a Marvel movie or Star Wars under your belt Godzilla kind of flies under the radar unless you really love the character, or you would want to come up with your own original property like Abrams with Cloverfield and del Toro with Pacific Rim.

My vote goes to Shinya Tsukamoto - you might know him as this guy in Shin Godzilla

He's a respected filmmaker in his own right probably best known in the west for his Tetsuo trilogy. He's expressed interest in doing a kaiju film before and he would be an inspired choice. The only bummer would be his regular composer, Chu Ishikawa, recently passed away so we wouldn't get one of his kickass scores.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Lots of people I agree with. I'll limit this to currently active directors. I am only offerings directing talent from around the world so I'm not thinking as far as whether or not it'd be a Toho movie, a WB movie, etc.

Takeshi Miike
The sort of director that would make something other than an obvious, standard Godzilla movie.

Hayao Miyazaki
Technically he's directing another movie so here he is. Miyazaki has a mystical, thematic style that would be different but great for a Godzilla movie.

Quentin Tarantino
Much like Miike, I would think of a Tarantino movie that's completely different from the mainstream of what we'd think of.

Nacho Vigalondo
Colossal is Vigalondo's only movie I've seen, but I really liked that quirky style and it could be very effective here.

Guillermo del Toro
I think del Toro's admiration for monsters show he'd have the care for Godzilla that would elevate the monster from a CGI beast to a real character.

Alex Garland
Garland's movies have a detail and ambiguity that freshens the movies he's done within the genre. Godzilla would benefit from the same.

Denis Villeneuve
So much ability here to craft an atmosphere that makes for the intensity (but intelligence) few Godzilla movies have had.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts
Kong maybe wasn't the most original movie, particularly given that WB didn't need to think of it in the context of remaking the traditional narrative. That said, the movie was great and so you'd know Vogt-Roberts would make a solid Godzilla movie.

Bong Joon-ho
Bong's movies are thoughtful, and we already know he can make a great monster movie. Probably my favorite director from SK.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Tsukamoto would be my pick as well, but if I'm to add another director to the list it might be Nicolas Winding Refn.
Monsters are the real people.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Could you guys see David Ayer directing a Godzilla film?

Added in 55 seconds:
That is, if we look at something like "Fury", as opposed to SS.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Michael Bay, so we can see what explosive trashfire he can create with this property. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed May 27, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

You forgot to mention Paul WS Anderson in the list of directors that need to stay away.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Quentin Tarantino has expressed interest in directing a Godzilla film. That would be pretty awesome. It would probably be like Shin Godzilla meets GMK. A smart political satire with good characters and kinetic, brutal kaiju fights. And of course, it would be called Godzilla Unchained. Or maybe Kill Ghidorah...
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I always get the names of P WS Anderson and P Thomas Anderson confused, which leads to a lot of hilarious situations every once and a while.
He Jock it Made of Steel