What do you see too much of in Godzilla movies?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: What do you see too much of in Godzilla movies?

Post by Zarm »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:There's a lot of flat cinematography in the series. A good chunk of the post-1967 Showa films and the 90's Heisei flicks look "made for TV." Even then the Golden Age films never go beyond just good looking. The original Godzilla and Rodan have great shots and it's a shame they couldn't keep up the camerawork.
That's actually why I have a soft spot for vs. Mothra: Battle For Earth and vs. Spacegodzilla... specifically because both (the latter in particular) have moments of cinematography that transcend their era. (Indeed, one of the reasons Ebirah, Son of, and vs. Biollante are my favorites is the stunning cinematography of certain sections).

Consistently great, no. But each of them offer tantalizing glimmers.
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Zarm wrote:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:Mothra being nigh-useless in a fight post-Showa era.
Really? I thought she tended to be impluasibly powerful via the addition of random beams and electric bolts, myself...
Yeah, i’m sure in a fantasy match, later versions of Mothra would beat Showa in a fight, I more so mean her in comparison to Godzilla. Showa was able to fight Godzilla on roughly even terms, as opposed to just about every other version that fought him. (If i’m remembering correctly, it’s been forever since i’ve seen any movies with Mothra that weren’t the Rebirth trilogy)
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Tempted to explain a few complaints but I'll leave it at face value :P

*Mothra the Martyr
*Toho Big 5
*Godzilla winning unbeatable odds/escaping death because human intervention and people crediting all the work to Godzilla.
*Reboots

*Every other monster except Bagan

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

SpaceG92 wrote:Tempted to explain a few complaints but I'll leave it at face value :P

*Mothra the Martyr
At least we have the Heisei GvM, where Mothra is a psychopath who goes around murdering people when the fairies are safe, and then tricks a heavily bleeding Battra into holding the most dangerous part of Godzilla while flying him out to sea, all for the sole purpose of stealing the “save Earth from an asteroid” glory.

Also, we see Mothra splitting imto multiple, smaller Mothras, similarly to what Destoroyah does, and we never see her and Destoroyah in the same room... isn’t that suspicious?

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I've noticed the rare involvement of Americans in the later Heisei films. Background characters like scientists, fleeing civilians, one black guy in BIOLLANTE, and never one American being a main character.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I've noticed the rare involvement of Americans in the later Heisei films. Background characters like scientists, fleeing civilians, one black guy in BIOLLANTE, and never one American being a main character.
Glenn from Invasion of the Astro Monster would like to have a word with you.

Unless you're referring specifically to Heisei, of course.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I meant ONLY in the Heisei series.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I meant ONLY in the Heisei series.
Gotcha. Then yeah, only American I can think of is M11.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Cybermat47 wrote:and then tricks a heavily bleeding Battra into holding the most dangerous part of Godzilla while flying him out to sea,---
Never thought of it like that. I gotta craft that into a head canon at some point XD
GodzillaBurgh wrote:I've noticed the rare involvement of Americans in the later Heisei films. Background characters like scientists, fleeing civilians, one black guy in BIOLLANTE, and never one American being a main character.
Of course! Why would they cast filthy gaijins in glorious Nippon film? Absolutely dishonorable.

Just remember the thread title;
What do you see too much of in Godzilla movies?
Kinda like your implying,

"Gee. There are to many Japanese people in these Godzilla films."

:P
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I consider Godzilla as an international threat, not just strictly in Japan. Even the Americans save Japan's ass from the malfunctioning Russian nuke in THE RETURN OF GODZILLA. I kinda wish that the Americans, now more careful and cautious of the use of nuclear weapons, collab with Japan on alternative uses of taking out Godzilla with the help of other nations.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I consider Godzilla as an international threat, not just strictly in Japan. Even the Americans save Japan's ass from the malfunctioning Russian nuke in THE RETURN OF GODZILLA. I kinda wish that the Americans, now more careful and cautious of the use of nuclear weapons, collab with Japan on alternative uses of taking out Godzilla with the help of other nations.
So what your trying to say is,

"I see too much of Godzilla being handled as a domestic thread in the Heisei films."

Barring the UNGCC of course -
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Damn, you got me there. Touche. :applause:

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

The entire plot or at the very least a decent chunk or part of it being centered around G-cells or something equivalent.
Also, evil or malevolent aliens who never help Earth and always want to conquer or destroy it...I mean you'd think by now that we'd have at least gotten a scenario similar to to this: Bad aliens show up to conquer/destroy Earth, Good aliens show up to help Earth against bad aliens, invading Kaiju or Godzilla. And before anyone says "weren't some of the alien races in GMP benevolent?!" Remember that it's said later that had Godzilla not f***ed up everything, those same aliens had planned on ruling or taking over Earth.

Also, Minilla and the GvSG version of junior looking like a deformed and slightly less fat sumo wrestler or "The Newborn" from Alien Resurrection.

Always having one character who's hellbent on revenge from losing a family member, friend or loved one to Godzilla.

And finally, the run-into-the-ground, spammed and EXTREMELY overused 60' and 70's showa roar.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Too many films end with the characters just watching the final battle on a hilltop or command room for like half an hour.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Aliens that just look like humans/an earth organism. In fact, I think the thing I appreciate the most about GFW is that they explain why they look like humans.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Dr. Professor wrote:Aliens that just look like humans/an earth organism. In fact, I think the thing I appreciate the most about GFW is that they explain why they look like humans.
The aliens in Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla vs. Gigan, and the showa Mechagodzilla films also have aliens disguised as humans. The aliens in Godzilla 2000 also don't look like humans at all.

Monster Zero is really the only film where the aliens explicitly look like humans.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GalacticPetey wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Aliens that just look like humans/an earth organism. In fact, I think the thing I appreciate the most about GFW is that they explain why they look like humans.
The aliens in Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla vs. Gigan, and the showa Mechagodzilla films also have aliens disguised as humans. The aliens in Godzilla 2000 also don't look like humans at all.

Monster Zero is really the only film where the aliens explicitly look like humans.
That and Monster Planet.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

GalacticPetey wrote:

I also said Earth organisms. The aliens in vs. Gigan are just cockroaches. The aliens in vs. MechaGodzilla are just apes. I haven't watched DAM in a reeeeally long time, so I was thinking they just look human.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Dr. Professor wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:

I also said Earth organisms. The aliens in vs. Gigan are just cockroaches. The aliens in vs. MechaGodzilla are just apes. I haven't watched DAM in a reeeeally long time, so I was thinking they just look human.
Oh that's fair. The Kilaaks are actually slug looking creatures.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:

I agree on the cockroaches in Gigan, because they're literally just cockroaches. But the aliens in Mechagodzilla are a bit different, in my opinion. They freaked me out as a kid to be honest haha. Especially the commander with the spikes on his face.