What Will You Do for Godzilla's 68th Birthday?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What Will You Do for Godzilla's 63rd Birthday?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah I gotta agree with Living Corpse, it was also the birth of that kaiju genre- as in from 1954 onward. King Kong doesn't count.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Kaiju is a sub genre of giant monsters. Yes King Kong inspired Godzilla and King Kong has been a kaiju but again that was after the fact.
Suppose your right then. Won't argue with that.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Yeah I gotta agree with Living Corpse, it was also the birth of that kaiju genre- as in from 1954 onward. King Kong doesn't count.
This I'll agree with but giant monster movies as a whole it definitely goes to King Kong since as Living Corpse said the kaijus are a sub-genre of giant monster movies.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Yeah I gotta agree with Living Corpse, it was also the birth of that kaiju genre- as in from 1954 onward. King Kong doesn't count.
This I'll agree with but giant monster movies as a whole it definitely goes to King Kong since as Living Corpse said the kaijus are a sub-genre of giant monster movies.
Well yeah, that's why I said kaiju genre , not giant monsters ;)

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

What sets kaiju apart from other giant monsters?
Last edited by Cybermat47 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Cybermat47 wrote:What sets kaiju apart from other giant monsters?
Interesting query. I assume it's more of a definition thing; the term kaiju directly translated is "strange creature" so maybe a "normal" giant monster is different in that regard?

Or maybe it's all bs. :lol:
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The way I usually see it "kaiju" are typically treated like natural disasters or god-like entities. They are usually incredibly difficult to kill without a specific plot device or an equally powerful robot, weapon, or "good" kaiju. Even then they can usually not be put down permanently. Even some non Japanese creatures like Gorgo and the Giant Claw can fit that criteria and thus I consider them kaiju. Kong's classification as a "true kaiju" depends on the situation. While he is a giant monster he is not always treated like a kaiju. Kong's kaiju status is dependent on a film by film basis.

Standard giant monsters are usually extremely susceptible to ordinary military might and a usually fairly easy to kill. Sometimes there's a special circumstance that makes killing them a risk (Rhedosaurs' contaminated blood for example) but they can still be easily injured our outright killed by normal military means.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Probably watch Son of Godzilla, because it has the feel of a Holiday/Christmas movie to me for some reason, before freaking out about how much work my five full time college classes put on me, and then trying to get more sleep.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll be seeing the original, like I always do on this date.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Watched my Criterion disc of the original film and it's special features. Then played a few hours of the PS4 game (not very good, but fun when you've maxed out the upgrades).

Also made a Twitter post and an Imgur post in celebration.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

I watched Godzilla 2000 with my little sister.
Beforehand I wrote a short story set on Planet X.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

I watched Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, am now watching The Return of Godzilla, and will watch Godzilla vs. Megaguirus afterward.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Watched Terror of Mechagodzilla , my all time favorite Godzilla film.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
The way I usually see it "kaiju" are typically treated like natural disasters or god-like entities. They are usually incredibly difficult to kill without a specific plot device or an equally powerful robot, weapon, or "good" kaiju. Even then they can usually not be put down permanently. Even some non Japanese creatures like Gorgo and the Giant Claw can fit that criteria and thus I consider them kaiju. Kong's classification as a "true kaiju" depends on the situation. While he is a giant monster he is not always treated like a kaiju. Kong's kaiju status is dependent on a film by film basis.

Standard giant monsters are usually extremely susceptible to ordinary military might and a usually fairly easy to kill. Sometimes there's a special circumstance that makes killing them a risk (Rhedosaurs' contaminated blood for example) but they can still be easily injured our outright killed by normal military means.
For me it's more of a 'you know it when you see it' deal, but I think this explanation makes a lot of sense. My one disagreement is that I think Kong, although he doesn't necessarily fit the bill, gets an honorary pass because he started it all.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:

This. There are exceptions of course, like the Yog monsters being weak to fire.

Added in 3 minutes 5 seconds:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
For me it's more of a 'you know it when you see it' deal, but I think this explanation makes a lot of sense. My one disagreement is that I think Kong, although he doesn't necessarily fit the bill, gets an honorary pass because he started it all.
For me it depends on which King Kong. The first one? Nope. Monsterverse? Sure why not. He got harmed by military weapons but where they were lethal to classic Kong, they seemed to just be cuts to K:SI Kong and he will presumably be more resistant when he's older and has thicker skin..

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The fun with Kong is that he's been treated as both a "regular" giant monster and as a "kaiju".
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The fun with Kong is that he's been treated as both a "regular" giant monster and as a "kaiju".
And Frankenstein.

And weirdly enough Godzilla himself if we wanna count Godzilla 1998.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Living Corpse wrote:And Frankenstein.
You mean Frankenstein's monster. ;)

Frankenstein would be the monsters creator.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:And Frankenstein.
You mean Frankenstein's monster. ;)

Frankenstein would be the monsters creator.
Now I want to see a giant German guy destroy Tokyo :P

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Cybermat47 wrote:Now I want to see a giant German guy destroy Tokyo :P
We could've gotten something close to that back then as Godzilla vs. Frankenstein('s monster) was going to be a thing before dropping it in favor for King Kong vs. Godzilla. Where do you think the electrical powers came from? Basically 1962 King Kong was just Frankenstein('s monster) in a gorilla suit.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:Now I want to see a giant German guy destroy Tokyo :P
We could've gotten something close to that back then as Godzilla vs. Frankenstein('s monster) was going to be a thing before dropping it in favor for King Kong vs. Godzilla. Where do you think the electrical powers came from? Basically 1962 King Kong was just Frankenstein('s monster) in a gorilla suit.
I don’t want to see the monster, though - I want to see a kaiju version of Doctor Victor Frankenstein :lol:

But yeah, the backstory about KKvG originally being GvFM (though I’ve also heard that it was meant to be KKvFM, with KK switching places with FM who was replaced by Godzilla) is really interesting.