Godzilla 1954 Remake

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 pm

I am honestly starting to think that the abundance of remakes Hollywood may or may not be addicted to doing since the 21st century came along has left a bad taste in most of you guys’ mouths due to most of them being sub-bar. Because of that, your judgement’s clearly become clouded. Let’s at least try to be optimistic and pretend that a 1954 remake gets greenlit and it actually does wind up being one of those remakes that does turn out good. Is there at least one person willing to explore what could be done with such a film?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Postby SpaceG92 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:59 pm

LegendZilla wrote:I am honestly starting to think that the abundance of remakes Hollywood may or may not be addicted to doing since the 21st century came along has left a bad taste in most of you guys’ mouths due to most of them being sub-bar. Because of that, your judgement’s clearly become clouded.

I wouldn't call it "clouded judgement".

It's more of they followed a statistical trend based off a large amount of remakes that, as you said - are sub-par. Statically speaking, if 85% of all remakes are crap - the next remake will have a high probability of being crap. That's just how probability works, it's not clouded judgement.

I'll be down for a remake actually. Well, not a "remake". I don't want to use the wrong word. Another adaptation? Eeeeh - I don't think that's it either. Just keep it following the basics of the first film. Monster shows up, goes rawr, gets shot at, mad scientist puts alkasetlzer in water and calls it a super weapon, monster goes rawr again, scientist floods Tokyo bay with Diet Coke and releases his Mentos super weapon.

My only "requirement". Update the 54' design. The marquee design, or more "commonly" known now as Train Biter Godzilla 1954 will probably make a good base. The head is especially good and I kinda like the foggy eyes. Sorta make him visually impaired due to seeing the atomic blast.

http://www.kaijuaddicts.com/wp-content/ ... or-Big.jpg
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Okay, let me make some suggestions of things to be added (potentially) for the better :

Indicate that Emiko's break-up with Serizawa a sign of her being an independent and liberated woman more so than most Japanese females at the time.

As a means to flesh out the reporter character with the helicopter as I stated before, have the crew that gets shmucked by Godzilla at the tower during his Tokyo rampage actually be friends of said character and show him being affected by it afterwards.

Give Godzilla his nuclear pulse ability and have him use it at least once (I mean come one many of you feel that Shin was passable as a modern telling of 1954 and that movie had him fire his trademark heat ray from his skreeonking tail).
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:21 am

LegendZilla wrote:Give Godzilla his nuclear pulse ability and have him use it at least once (I mean come one many of you feel that Shin was passable as a modern telling of 1954 and that movie had him fire his trademark heat ray from his skreeonking tail).

Why would he need to use an atomic pulse? I doubt it would be very useful, especially when he just set a few buildings on fire in the original, and that turned into a citywide inferno in no time.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Postby LegendZilla » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 am

Cybermat47 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Give Godzilla his nuclear pulse ability and have him use it at least once (I mean come one many of you feel that Shin was passable as a modern telling of 1954 and that movie had him fire his trademark heat ray from his skreeonking tail).

Why would he need to use an atomic pulse? I doubt it would be very useful, especially when he just set a few buildings on fire in the original, and that turned into a citywide inferno in no time.

He could use it when he’s agitated while dealing with fighter jets.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Postby orga_000 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 am

LegendZilla wrote:I am honestly starting to think that the abundance of remakes Hollywood may or may not be addicted to doing since the 21st century came along has left a bad taste in most of you guys’ mouths due to most of them being sub-bar. Because of that, your judgement’s clearly become clouded. Let’s at least try to be optimistic and pretend that a 1954 remake gets greenlit and it actually does wind up being one of those remakes that does out good. Is there at least one person willing to explore what could be done with such a film?

Sorry that our judgements are "clouded." It's just what most of us grew up with. Bad remakes of good movies.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:10 am

LegendZilla wrote:I am honestly starting to think that the abundance of remakes Hollywood may or may not be addicted to doing since the 21st century came along has left a bad taste in most of you guys’ mouths due to most of them being sub-bar. Because of that, your judgement’s clearly become clouded. Let’s at least try to be optimistic and pretend that a 1954 remake gets greenlit and it actually does wind up being one of those remakes that does out good. Is there at least one person willing to explore what could be done with such a film?

Considering that you have awareness of "sub-bar" (nice malaphor) remakes, then you're probably have a similar opinion of them as the collective "we" do, which would make this the fish telling the skunk he stinks.
But, as this thread has shown, yes there are those who are apparently willing to explore the film's possibilities. Heck, a large group of people would have to be willing for the movie to be even made in the first place.
Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

Gerdzerl

Postby Gerdzerl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 am

Kaoru Wada's re-recordings would be perfect for a hypothetical remake of Godzilla.

Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 am

It just wouldn't be the same without the original team.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Postby LegendZilla » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:52 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

Yeah because everyone knows how John Carpenter's The Thing or David Cronenberg's The Fly sucked so bad because they lacked the original teams that made the original films they were adapted from. Right?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Both of those are based on short stories so technically they're not remakes.

Especially John Carpenter's, even if he was a major fan of Thing from Another World. It's much more accurate to the short story than the original. I don't even think it's fair to compare the two since they're so different.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:28 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

Yeah because everyone knows how John Carpenter's The Thing or David Cronenberg's The Fly sucked so bad because they lacked the original teams that made the original films they were adapted from. Right?

But this is Godzilla, it would feel weird with CGI or some other guy representing 1954 without Nakajima.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

SonOfGorgo
JXSDF Technician

Postby SonOfGorgo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:It just wouldn't be the same without the original team.

But this is Godzilla, it would feel weird with CGI or some other guy representing 1954 without Nakajima.

Isn't that like saying Peter Jackson's King Kong remake sucks just because it doesn't have Willis O'Brien's effects.
Still the best... 8-)

MechaGoji Bro7503

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 am

SonOfGorgo wrote:But this is Godzilla, it would feel weird with CGI or some other guy representing 1954 without Nakajima.

Isn't that like saying Peter Jackson's King Kong remake sucks just because it doesn't have Willis O'Brien's effects.[/quote]
Well I suppose, sorry if I'm sounding like a purist. :) Still, it wouldn't feel the same. KK2005 had some new elements that differentiate it from '33, such as a trio of rexes.

At the end of the day I just don't feel that a remake of the original is necessary, especially because Godzilla is different in that he has a whole franchise of new ideas, moreso than Kong. ( Kong's getting there). What's the point of adding the nuclear repulse if Shin Godzilla literally updated that ability, heck that whole film updated so many things.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 am

SonOfGorgo wrote:Isn't that like saying Peter Jackson's King Kong remake sucks just because it doesn't have Willis O'Brien's effects.

That's not the reason that Peter Jackson's Kong sucked. But it is a significant drawing-point that might make up for some of the flaws, absent. Landmark historical films have innovation and originality as much as story and acting and other craftsmanship going for them; without those, a remake has even has more of an uphill struggle. It has to update or change enough to actually justify having a reason to exist- a point or purpose that the original doesn't already fill by existing, as well as having to carry a burden of story and acting and performance that the original doesn't (because that's just one aspect of the original and its historical and innovative uniqueness, whereas it's a majority-share part of what the remake has to offer, along with updated effects... which are definitely not enough to carry a film in today's CGi-saturated age; spectacle alone is insufficient, and that leaves story and acting).

And in some cases, the story or characters that the remake inherits (which was fine when it was only 20% of what made the original work) simply aren't strong enough to make a good film when they're inflated to 80% of what the new film has going for it.

Classic films are as much historical events, milestones, and achievements as they are pieces of entertainment media. In the same way that the creation of the first light-bulb was world-changing but the manufacture of a lightbulb today happens millions of times a day without fanfare, divorced from that historical context, a film may be too flimsy to be worthwhile on its own merrits.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SonOfGorgo
JXSDF Technician

Postby SonOfGorgo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am

Zarm wrote:That's not the reason that Peter Jackson's Kong sucked. But it is a significant drawing-point that might make up for some of the flaws, absent. Landmark historical films have innovation and originality as much as story and acting and other craftsmanship going for them; without those, a remake has even has more of an uphill struggle. It has to update or change enough to actually justify having a reason to exist- a point or purpose that the original doesn't already fill by existing, as well as having to carry a burden of story and acting and performance that the original doesn't (because that's just one aspect of the original and its historical and innovative uniqueness, whereas it's a majority-share part of what the remake has to offer, along with updated effects... which are definitely not enough to carry a film in today's CGi-saturated age; spectacle alone is insufficient, and that leaves story and acting).

And in some cases, the story or characters that the remake inherits (which was fine when it was only 20% of what made the original work) simply aren't strong enough to make a good film when they're inflated to 80% of what the new film has going for it.

Classic films are as much historical events, milestones, and achievements as they are pieces of entertainment media. In the same way that the creation of the first light-bulb was world-changing but the manufacture of a lightbulb today happens millions of times a day without fanfare, divorced from that historical context, a film may be too flimsy to be worthwhile on its own merrits.

I get what you mean, and even agree in a way.
Still the best... 8-)

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Just stumbled across this video. I thought he raised some good points.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Postby orga_000 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm

LegendZilla wrote:

Just stumbled across this video. I thought he raised some good points.

I've seen this video before. I still don't really agree. (NOT ABOUT VIDEO ------->) Look-a-likes or CGI (Star Wars: Rogue One) wouldn't have the same feeling that the original movie had.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Since Japan's filmmakers have been too stuck up their asses with creating more and more unconventional versions of the character over time with both Shin and Monster Planet, I think that a remake would be one reason worth bringing back a traditional Godzilla.

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 pm

LegendZilla wrote:Since Japan's filmmakers have been too stuck up their asses with creating more and more unconventional versions of the character over time with both Shin and Monster Planet, I think that a remake would be one reason worth bringing back a traditional Godzilla.

Mindsets like this are what caused this damn franchise to go into hiatus for nine years.

Return to “General Toho Films”