Godzilla 1954 Remake

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Gerdzerl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: Inside an 80's neon space station in high orbit
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby Gerdzerl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:28 am

LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.


I'd personally be okay with that, but I know it'd definitely piss off a lot of the "old guard."

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11436
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 am

LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.


The WW2 souls thing is a weird example to bring up, since it's not introduced as an aspect of Godzilla, but as a story point that happens to Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5440
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 pm

What? Why would he not be bipedal? When he's not breathing atomic breath he would just be the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Sorry but I'm not at all for the idea.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14333
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm

LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.


I mean, when you separate those traits without including their relevance or development story-wise, yeah they're gonna sound far-fetched.
Image

User avatar
GalacticPetey
Futurian
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby GalacticPetey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Those changes you mention all were all done to service the stories. The WWII souls were relevant to the story Kaneko wanted to tell, the plant aspects were because Urobuchi wanted Godzilla to truly feel like a global entity, and the tail lasers were to add to the insanity that was Anno's vision for the film.

What does putting him on all fours do?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 pm

GalacticPetey wrote:Those changes you mention all were all done to service the stories. The WWII souls were relevant to the story Kaneko wanted to tell, the plant aspects were because Urobuchi wanted Godzilla to truly feel like a global entity, and the tail lasers were to add to the insanity that was Anno's vision for the film.

What does putting him on all fours do?


Adds a little weight of realism. Because in actuality the larger any animal is, the lesser the capability of bipedalism. That is why Spinosaurus was a quadruped mostly.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14333
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:Those changes you mention all were all done to service the stories. The WWII souls were relevant to the story Kaneko wanted to tell, the plant aspects were because Urobuchi wanted Godzilla to truly feel like a global entity, and the tail lasers were to add to the insanity that was Anno's vision for the film.

What does putting him on all fours do?


Adds a little weight of realism.


The character is already a surviving prehistoric monster that breathes fire, so that's kind of an invalid argument.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:57 pm

^As long as they don’t overwork the whole realism angle like they did with GINO, then no harm will be done.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Gerdzerl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: Inside an 80's neon space station in high orbit
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby Gerdzerl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Godzilla being quadrupedal would be interesting if it was done like Ricardo Delgado's concept art design for the unmade 1994 film.

Image

I don't think we've ever see Godzilla crawling around to navigate tight spaces, but I could wrong.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4923
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby Zarm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 pm

That... looks to me like a frame from an Animaniacs episode or a Tom and Jerry cartoon; not very threatening. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled. Zone Fighter is viewable in English at last! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Cybermat47
Interpol Agent
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 pm

LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.


Interesting idea, but I can’t say I’m a fan. They did something similar with Shin Godzilla’s fourth form, then scrapped it, and for good reason.

I think the only way it would work is if you redesigned Godzilla extensively, which is reaching into Zilla territory.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Cybermat47 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.


Interesting idea, but I can’t say I’m a fan. They did something similar with Shin Godzilla’s fourth form, then scrapped it, and for good reason.

I think the only way it would work is if you redesigned Godzilla extensively, which is reaching into Zilla territory.


No more different then a bipedal or quadrapedal Spinosaurus are from one another.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Cybermat47
Interpol Agent
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 am

LegendZilla wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.


Interesting idea, but I can’t say I’m a fan. They did something similar with Shin Godzilla’s fourth form, then scrapped it, and for good reason.

I think the only way it would work is if you redesigned Godzilla extensively, which is reaching into Zilla territory.


No more different then a bipedal or quadrapedal Spinosaurus are from one another.


When we believed that Spinosaurus was bipedal, we believed it had the same posture as other theropods - its spine held parallel to the ground. Now that we think it was quadrupedal, we still believe that it’s spine was held parallel to the ground.

Godzilla, on the other hand, holds its spine upright, like a Human, so if it was redesigned to be quadrupedal, then it would have to hold its spine like a Spinosaurus - parallel to the ground. That means a 90° rotation of it’s entire body. And, its limbs would have to be roughly the same length, so it would either have really long arms or really short legs.

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote:Adds a little weight of realism.


Not really. It’s still a giant fire breathing reptile that can survive having a nuke dropped on it.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby LegendZilla » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 pm



Will this help get you more optimistic over the notion I am suggesting?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5440
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:12 pm

LegendZilla wrote:[]

Will this help get you more optimistic over the notion I am suggesting?

You've talked about wanting audiences to be more flexible with new monsters and ideas other than Mothra or King Ghidorah, then you aren't a fan of Shin Godzilla or the rest of Toho's new films for doing new things differently despite you, me, and others being part of the flexible audience , yet you still want a remake of G54? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I'm just saying your opinions seem to contradict one another.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14333
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:[]

Will this help get you more optimistic over the notion I am suggesting?

You've talked about wanting audiences to be more flexible with new monsters and ideas other than Mothra or King Ghidorah, then you aren't a fan of Shin Godzilla or the rest of Toho's new films for doing new things differently despite you, me, and others being part of the flexible audience , yet you still want a remake of G54? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I'm just saying your opinions seem to contradict one another.


That usually happens when you're a contrarian for the sake of being one.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5598
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:[]

Will this help get you more optimistic over the notion I am suggesting?

You've talked about wanting audiences to be more flexible with new monsters and ideas other than Mothra or King Ghidorah, then you aren't a fan of Shin Godzilla or the rest of Toho's new films for doing new things differently despite you, me, and others being part of the flexible audience , yet you still want a remake of G54? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I'm just saying your opinions seem to contradict one another.


Just because you’re inflexible with some things doesn’t mean you can’t be more flexible with others. Plus we are all a little guilty of having opinions of contradicting each other.

*edit*

So as long as there’s a chance that such a remake could work out, I will firmly stand in favor of it. All it needs is the right team who handle it with the proper amount of care and I’d say it would be in good hands. I know making it good would be a daunting task, but it does not necessarily mean it’s impossible. If it does succeed despite all odds, it will be one of those uphill battles against an avalanche.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests