Godzilla 1954 Remake

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Post by Zarm »

LegendZilla wrote:^By remake, you mean it very roughly. As you said, a remake in concept.
No... once again, very much not what I meant or said. Far more than concept or 'rough remake.' A retelling of the same core story with altered protagonists and surroundings built around it. I mean very specifically, literally, and exactly a remake- just using an innovative hybrid approach to remaking that is largely without precedent in the film industry.

(That said, I suspect the difficulty here is in what we would each consider a rough or in-concept remake. To me, the former suggests only the rudiments- which what I'm describing is too specific and detailed for- and the latter suggests using only the basic idea of Godzilla attacking, which the use of the specific narrative structure again precludes; it is too specific to fit either of those definitions. However, you may have a different meaning attached to those terms that the concepts I'm describing do fall within...)

Incidentally, to eabaker's point, I can point to any number of remakes with entirely different characters; usually the better-known a plot or concept, the less the particulars of character and specific encounters/scenes are adhered to. Yet they are still very much remakes.
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Can The Amazing Spiderman from 2012 be considered a remake of Sam Raimi's Spiderman by that logic?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote:^Can The Amazing Spiderman from 2012 be considered a remake of Sam Raimi's Spiderman by that logic?
Not at all.

Both are adaptions of the comic book stories. The former isn't based off the latter.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Can The Amazing Spiderman from 2012 be considered a remake of Sam Raimi's Spiderman by that logic?
Not at all.

Both are adaptions of the comic book stories. The former isn't based off the latter.
Nor is Shin based on 1954 in that regard.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote:Nor is Shin based on 1954 in that regard.
Except neither are based on any comics or whatever. Shin is more or less a "modernisation".
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Well in case you couldn't already tell, What I have in mind is NOT a modernized quote-on-quote remake, but rather a period piece remake in the same vein Kong 2005.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote:^Well in case you couldn't already tell, What I have in mind is NOT a modernized quote-on-quote remake, but rather a period piece remake in the same vein Kong 2005.
Fair enough.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Hmm...a period piece remake of the original with essentially that plot and those characters?

Can't say I wouldn't be interested. Heck, I'd love to see something like that done that essentially combines the US and Japanese versions...meaning that Steve Martin would ACTUALLY be in the plot and a piece of the film with the other characters, would be a heck of a good time....potentially.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Chrispy_G wrote:Hmm...a period piece remake of the original with essentially that plot and those characters?

Can't say I wouldn't be interested. Heck, I'd love to see something like that done that essentially combines the US and Japanese versions...meaning that Steve Martin would ACTUALLY be in the plot and a piece of the film with the other characters, would be a heck of a good time....potentially.
I'd love this, especially if it meant a painstakingly authentic CGI recreation of the ShodaiGoji suit was made for it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:^Well in case you couldn't already tell, What I have in mind is NOT a modernized quote-on-quote remake, but rather a period piece remake in the same vein Kong 2005.
I guess I just don't understand what the point of this would be.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Sorry, but don’t you mean quote unquote?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I just don't want to see a CGI Godzilla 1954- and someone else playing the original actors characters. It would be weird to see Ogata played by someone instead of Akira Takarada.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I just don't want to see a CGI Godzilla 1954- and someone else playing the original actors characters. It would be weird to see Ogata played by someone instead of Akira Takarada.
Is it awkward to see some other than Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi playing Frankenstein or Dracula? Or someone other than Adam West playing Batman?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I just don't want to see a CGI Godzilla 1954- and someone else playing the original actors characters. It would be weird to see Ogata played by someone instead of Akira Takarada.
Is it awkward to see some other than Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi playing Frankenstein or Dracula? Or someone other than Adam West playing Batman?
As iconic as those performances were, they were interpretations of characters adapted from other media. The characters themselves did not originate with those interpretations.

Personally, of course, I find it awkward to see anyone other than Charles Ogle play Frankenstein.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

So, I take it you're not exactly a fan of the 2005 King Kong film for the same reasons, then, what with Naomi Watts, Adrian Brody, and Jack Black replacing Faye Ray, Bruce Cabot, and Robert Armstrong respectively.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

cmdmstudios wrote:
So, I take it you're not exactly a fan of the 2005 King Kong film for the same reasons, then, what with Naomi Watts, Adrian Brody, and Jack Black replacing Faye Ray, Bruce Cabot, and Robert Armstrong respectively.
It's kinda funny...... I saw KK2005 before I ever saw the original. I like them both, but '33 is still better.

Yet still, why would a 54 remake be necessary at this time? Just to be better? The franchise is moving forward.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The characters in KK are also much broader, more theatrical, in some ways closer to archetypes, which makes it a little easier to see them interpreted by different actors than the more naturalistic characters in G'54.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
cmdmstudios wrote:
It's kinda funny...... I saw KK2005 before I ever saw the original. I like them both, but '33 is still better.

Yet still, why would a 54 remake be necessary at this time? Just to be better? The franchise is moving forward.
I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't think it would be necessary, or better. I just kinda like the idea of going back every once in a while as we go forward. Kinda like meeting up with old friends you haven't seen in a while and making new memories with them.

The original will always be there, but I think a period piece remake could be rather interesting.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I feel we had a nice "remake" with Shin Godzilla. I know it's technically a reboot, but it made for a good modern remake of sorts.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote:I feel we had a nice "remake" with Shin Godzilla. I know it's technically a reboot, but it made for a good modern remake of sorts.
Reboot=/=remake