Godzilla 1954 Remake

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

Godzilla 1954 Remake

Post by LegendZilla »

Since someone else on these forms decided to discuss the potential of a Godzilla Vs Hedorah remake of all films, I have decided to pitch my own idea of a remake. Okay, I realize that I have brought this idea up before and it's bound to trigger most of you guys, but is there at least anyone other than myself and Great MM willing to be open towards such a notion as Toho one day doing a full-on remake of the original 1954 Godzilla? I know the film itself is already a classic and rightfully so, but we all have to admit that is not perfect as the case with every film ever made. I am by no means saying that it needs to be superior to the original, but as MM suggested, what few changes do you think would be necessary as a means to improve upon other than effects?

My suggestions are :

* Include a flashback of Emiko and either Ogata or Serizawa dating and/or bonding as teenagers, since such a scene was pitched for the original film, but never filmed. Such a scene might help flesh out the characters slightly more.

* Flesh out the character of that one camera man who befriends Senkichi a bit more.

* Show one or two minutes of Yamane gaining custody of Senkichi, or at least imply it.

* Rather than getting scared off by mere fighter jets, have Godzilla leave Tokyo on his own accord.

How are those for suggestions?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I once thought of an "Westernised" remake in the style of Kong '05 by Peter Jackson.
You got some interesting ideas though.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'm glad Toho has never gone through with an exact remake... that's one thing I like about the Godzilla series, that it can go in a million different directions based on that 54 film and those events but to never retell that story exactly. In a way Toho has been 'rebooting' Godzilla before reboots were even a popular industry thing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tbeasley wrote:I'm glad Toho has never gone through with an exact remake... that's one thing I like about the Godzilla series, that it can go in a million different directions based on that 54 film and those events but to never retell that story exactly. In a way Toho has been 'rebooting' Godzilla before reboots were even a popular industry thing.
Yeah but reboot after reboot would get tiresome after a while. Therefore, a remake will be a different route to take in order to refresh things.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Some things are better left unremade to be honest.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Some things are better left unremade to be honest.
Remaking something is not inherently a bad idea.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

LegendZilla wrote:

No but seriously, some films don't need a remake.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

A modern remake of the 1954 film? That sounds like it could be the second best Godzilla film of all time!

But yeah, with the changes in society, technology, etc., Shin Godzilla is pretty much a modern retelling of G54. It's so different because modern circumstances are so different, but some things have stayed the same - or rather, gotten worse. Just as Shin towers over Shodai, today's nuclear weapons are far more dangerous.

In the same vein, you could view G84 as something of a 54 remake. Same basics as 54 and Shin - Godzilla shows up, kills some people, goes away, comes back, uses atomic breath to kill way more people, is defeated by science. But, the message of the film is more oriented towards the audience at the time of production.
LegendZilla wrote:* Rather than getting scared off by mere fighter jets, have Godzilla leave Tokyo on his own accord.
Well, you could make the argument that Godzilla was leaving of his own accord, and the JASDF just happened to show up at that time. That's how I see it, anyway.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I was thinking about a remake set in the 50's akin to how Kong '05 was set in the 30's. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be stretched out to 3 hours.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote:^I was thinking about a remake set in the 50's akin to how Kong '05 was set in the 30's. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be stretched out to 3 hours.
Me too. One where Godzilla attacks San Francisco rather than Tokyo.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^I was thinking about a remake set in the 50's akin to how Kong '05 was set in the 30's. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be stretched out to 3 hours.
Me too. One where Godzilla attacks San Francisco rather than Tokyo.
Godzilla '14 was in San Francisco. Seriously, please get existing remakes/reboots out of your heads for once and get into hypothetical territory.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The way I really see it. Shin Godzilla was basically a remake of the 1954 Godzilla movie only in the present day instead.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote:Godzilla '14 was in San Francisco. Seriously, please get existing remakes/reboots out of your heads for once and get into hypothetical territory.
No I mean, rampage in the same/similar way as the original '54 film (or maybe in somewhere like Vancouver, or Seattle, or Portland).

The plot would be similar to the original, albeit extended and main characters' nationalities would be switched from Japanese to American (and their names switched from Japanese to western).

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't know if the character interactions and motivations would work as well in a modern western context. The dilemma of ending the relationship with Serizawa and hiding the new one in the meantime, and Serizawa's suicide at the end, seem rooted in considerations of ethics and honor that 21st century American culture would largely roll its eyes at; I also don't suspect that the final act would be action-packed enough for a modern film.

I think a remake of this wouldn't work in a modern context (either Japanese or American) because of the differences in culture and context; Shin's use of the same story structure but different plot focus and characters is the closest I think we could successfully get these days.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzilla Mothra
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla Mothra »

I'm absolutely against a remake of any kind. The closest we should ever get are RETURN and SHIN.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ToxicLove wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

No but seriously, some films don't need a remake.
I beg to differ

Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

LegendZilla wrote:
I beg to differ
I said some, not all. The Blob, The Fly, The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are 4 examples against a tidal wave of feces sadly.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ToxicLove wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I beg to differ
I said some, not all. The Blob, The Fly, The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are 4 examples against a tidal wave of feces sadly.
Although it's worth noting that three out of those four were new adaptations of literary source material. Re-considering how to adapt across media is very different from trying to take apart and rebuild something that was conceived within the same medium.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Thing was much less a remake of the film as it was a more faithful adaptation of the original story.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:* Include a flashback of Emiko and either Ogata or Serizawa dating and/or bonding as teenagers, since such a scene was pitched for the original film, but never filmed. Such a scene might help flesh out the characters slightly more.
This kind of backstory is usually best served by "iceberg details." It's not sufficiently relevant to the narrative that we need the details explicated; we just need the most relevant details, delivered organically when they're relevant.

Flashbacks should really be reserved for those moments when, in the characters' minds, the past is becoming the present again. Flashback as an expository device often just feels labored.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.