Rest in Peace, Haruo Nakajima

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Star Falcon
Samurai

Re: Rest in Peace, Haruo Nakajima

Post by Star Falcon »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The only time I genuinely felt sad when a celebrity passed away was when Ray Harryhausen died. And now Nakajima. Harryhausen movies and Showa Godzilla movies were my childhood growing up in the early 1980s.
Things like this really hit you when you reach my age. Seeing your beloved childhood heroes pass away.
Indeed - i grew up on HarryHausen and Showa/Heisei Kaiju films too, in many ways they have got me where i am today. Very sad news. We had a Kaiju themed fancy dress party on the weekend just gone which feels like an apt tribute, and i am going to see Shin Godzilla in the cinemas on Thursday.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

My early childhood was riddled with bullies, broken and stolen toys, divorce, and drug addiction (not me). To say my childhood was great would make me a liar but my parents did their best in a bad area. Godzilla was always there for me though and was a major part of my life and this man brought him to life. Fast forward 25 years later and I still find comfort in these films when I'm down and out. R.I.P. my friend.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Mkyuncle
Samurai

Post by Mkyuncle »

The man, the legend, Godzilla. I'm sorry I never got to meet him. Mr. Nakajima RIP

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Slightly off-topic question, but did Nakajima really play Maguma in Gorath? It's not listed on his wikipedia page, and Wikizilla instead credits the role to Katsumi Tezuka.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Another thing I got to say about Haruo. Just like how Australia lost a son with Steve Irwin over a decade ago, Japan lost a son with Haruo Nakajima. :(

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

No CGI Godzilla will ever live up to Nakajima's Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Nakajima is a man who excited and thrilled a generation. He may be gone, but he will always be remembered.

To the first Godzilla, farewell.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Gareth Edwards, who has only tweeted 10 times, has this to say. The feels are strong.

https://twitter.com/ShootTheMonster/sta ... 7867915265

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Well, that is the true passing of an era.. I saw that Nakajima died, and was suddenly hit with a subtle feeling of emptiness. Godzilla, King of the Monsters was among the first I watched; as well as Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster and Godzilla vs. Hedorah. All of those left an impression on me as a child, and got me into the series. A VHS tape set as well as the Classic Media five-disc set of these movies allowed me to watch these movies again and again, and just enjoy the monster action. You don't really think about how much was put into those battles at that age. How much of a grueling experience the men in those suits had to go through just to deliver us a film series that gets more mockery than appreciation (at least, in my experience). All of that stemmed from the original 1954 film, in which Nakajima quite literally went through hell to give life to the monster that would put a mark in cultural history, as well as have arguably very large impact on the way SFX for films was done from there on, at least in the 30 years following.

This man gave me a huge portion of my childhood. Playing as Godzilla in 12 films and Rodan in its debut film, and produced films that gave a great and satisfying viewing experience for my smaller self every time I watched them. They inspired me to get more films related to the series, figures, games; anything you can name, really. The films also gained a following which resulted in sites like this (in a general aspect, not specifically leading to places that argue over which toy has the best paint job), where people can express their feelings with the films and their related media. We all wouldn't know each other if it weren't for Nakajima's actions in 1954.

For his contributions to my childhood, I must thank him. Now I, as well as the rest of us--must also say farewell, for he has left the world of the living. I felt he could have gone on for a little longer, perhaps long enough to where I could have had an opportunity to meet him myself (though realistically speaking, I doubt I would have wound up going to a G-Fest in the near future anyway) but fate decided on that yesterday.

So thank you, Haruo Nakajima for having a indirect hand in giving me a lively childhood. You will be sorely missed, and you may be gone; but you will never be forgotten.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Reflecting more on his passing, there's almost a form of poetry in dying one day past the 72nd anniversary of Hiroshima. An event so massive, so violent, so needlessly destructive, yet eventually a postive, even essential piece of Nakajima's career.

NPR:
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/08/542198902 ... actor-dies

BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40860365
Last edited by TheSecondComing on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Little late, but I did know about this news on the day he passed away. Anyhow, this is incredibly sad. He shall be cherished forever. I'll change my profile picture for his honor.
Long Live The King

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

ArchdukeSquidlyIII wrote:Slightly off-topic question, but did Nakajima really play Maguma in Gorath? It's not listed on his wikipedia page, and Wikizilla instead credits the role to Katsumi Tezuka.
I don't think he did. He stated at a convention a few years ago that he had "Nothing to do with that film". Also I have this picture book of his (which goes into detail about ever character he played) and Magma is not there.

This is the book

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Tim Bean on Facebook is collecting photos for Nakajima's funeral ceremony next week. If you took a photo with Nakajima and are interested in having it shared there, you can find out more details here: https://www.facebook.com/tim.bean.10/po ... 0782156422
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Not surprisingly, Dougherty jumped on the tribute bandwagon two days ago. He apparently had the privilege getting his autograph at one point:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mike_Dougher ... 2346729473

It'll be shocking if there isn't a tribute in 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters'.
Last edited by Leviarex on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
ArchdukeSquidlyIII wrote:Slightly off-topic question, but did Nakajima really play Maguma in Gorath? It's not listed on his wikipedia page, and Wikizilla instead credits the role to Katsumi Tezuka.
I don't think he did. He stated at a convention a few years ago that he had "Nothing to do with that film". Also I have this picture book of his (which goes into detail about ever character he played) and Magma is not there.
That's what I thought. Someone better tell Matt Frank then! ;)

Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

RIP Nakajima

TheSecondComing
Futurian

The great Hideo Kojima retweeted both Variety's obituary and El Rey Network's tribute to Nakajima.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

For the first time, Godzilla REALLY died. We'll never forget you, Nakajima-san. You have always been my favorite monster actor next to Boris Karloff. You will and always will be Godzilla to all of us and the rest of the world. Thank you and rest in peace, our one true King of the Monsters. :godzilla: :g64: :baragon: :cry:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing