Rest in Peace, Haruo Nakajima

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rest in Peace, Haruo Nakajima

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:Would (and should) Monster Planet be dedicated to him?
It would be cool if Godzila: King of Monsters was

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

In light of today's tragedy, I made this tribute to him: http://leviarex.deviantart.com/art/Haru ... -697446502

Bronyzilla04
Monarch Researcher

Post by Bronyzilla04 »

Came to pay my respects to Nakajima. He and the other people who worked on Godzilla made my childhood awesome. He will be missed. Long live the King of the Monsters. T~T

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

RIP, Mr. Nakajima.

I don't think my childhood would have been the same without his portrayal of Godzilla.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Haven't been posting to TK too much lately, but as soon as I heard I felt the need to come here and express both my sorrows and my thanks to Mr. Nakajima for giving me and countless others amazing childhoods, he truly instilled life into every Kaiju he played.

Rest In Peace, and may your legacy carry on.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I honestly couldn't believe it when I first read it, I'm still heartbroken over it. Haruo Nakajima was my childhood hero, as far as I'm concerned he'll always be Godzilla. He brought to life Godzilla along with so many other iconic monsters, he is the king of suit acting and an absolute legend. He was such a hard worker and was so full of energy, I'm grateful for all of the amazing work he did. While I'm saddened by his passing and the fact that I never had the honor of meeting him, it's good to know he'll be reuniting with his wife, as well as Eiji Tsuburaya and the other Godzilla fathers up in Heaven. Rest in peace Mr. Nakajima, my condolences to his daughter and his loved ones he left behind. :cry:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I'm so devastated. I always thought I would get the chance to meet him eventually. But now that dream has been destroyed. :(

R.I.P. Nakajima-san, and thank you for all the joy and entertainment you provided for all of us. :cry:
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

It will probably have changed by the name you read this post, and I don't know how IMDB chooses articles, but Variety's earlier obituary is currently their #2 headline.
No small feat.
http://www.imdb.com/news/top?ref_=nv_nw_tp_1

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

88 years old.

The King lived a long and good life.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

さようなら、中島さん :(
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am currently watching the original 1954 film in his memory.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

At the very least they should add "In memory of Haruo Nakjima 1929-2017" at the end of the credits.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

:(
A tragic day for the story of Godzilla. We will always remember Mr. Nakajima's legacy in the world of kaiju and how he brought to life many monsters we know and love with his performance. May he rest in peace, and thanks for everything. :'(

NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Post by NateZilla10000 »

I don't usually make posts like this, but this time it hits home; hard. Mr. Haruo Nakajima (中島春雄) honestly is the entire reason I started on my journey into becoming a film director, along with the likes of Tomoyuki Tanaka (田中 友幸), Ishirō Honda (本多猪四郎), and Eiji Tsuburaya (円谷 英二). When i was younger I was swept away by the Kaiju genre, with Godzilla starting it all. The moment I found out it was possible to create my own movies using my dingy old camera, I was off making dinosaur and Godzilla films; inspired much by what I saw in the kaiju movies.

As I grew older, the more I learned about the original Gojira (ゴジラ, 1954) and the series in general, the more I gained respect for it. From it's deep meaning of nuclear dangers and man's arrogance to the intricacy of the models and suits, I was floored by how much effort was put into the movies.

But Haruo Nakajima stood out from the crowd. This man was one of the most hard working people ever to cross the silver screen; his determination and valor were qualities unlike any other.

Before he played Godzilla, he worked as a stuntman in the 1953 film Eagle of the Pacific (太平洋の鷲); where he was lit on fire with gunpowder, having no objection to it. When Ishiro Honda asked him to play Godzilla in the first movie, Mr. Nakajima went to the zoo to study large animals like gorillas and elephants and how they moved around so that he could replicate their size and power.

But this would not come easy; the suit weighed over 100 lbs and temperatures inside could easily reach 130 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 15 minutes. The intense stage lights and the literal wall of real fire on set only made matters worse. Between takes, crew members would drain literal pools of sweat from the feet of the rubber suit. Passing out on set and in costume was a common occurrence. But did Nakajima give up? No. He did not.

He went on to play Godzilla for 12 more consecutive films; not to mention a great handful of other kaiju in other movies with each film presenting its handful of intense challenges.

In Rodan (空の大怪獣 ラドン, 1956), Mr. Nakajima was hoisted into the air in flight; only to come crashing back down when a wheel on the wire frame snapped. Had it not been for the pool of water beneath him, he would have died. But did Nakajima give up? No. He did not.

In Varan: The Unbelievable (大怪獣バラン, 1958), an accident caused an explodable truck to sear his stomach. But did Nakajima give up? No. He did not.

In Mothra vs. Godzilla (空の大怪獣 ラドン, 1964), when a pyrotechnic charge set off, Mr. Nakajima was accidentally set on fire in costume. But did Nakajima give up? No. He did not.

In Godzilla vs. Hedorah (ゴジラ対ヘドラ, 1971), he was tasked in bathing in sludge and mud, in costume (they weren't water tight, mind you), to get a scene right. But did Nakajima give up? No. he did not.

No matter what was thrown at him, no matter what came his way, Mr. Nakajima pushed through and got the job done. He never backed down, he never swayed, and he never failed to deliver; only retiring after his dear friend Mr. Tsuburaya passed away.

Mr. Nakajima brought life to Godzilla; the kaiju's character would be nothing had Mr. Nakajima not been the one to step into that rubber suit in 1954 and the 12 films that followed. Had it not been Nakajima in that costume, I cannot confidently say that it the film would have had the same impact that it did. He was by far the most determined, passionate, and all the round bravest actors the world of cinema has ever seen.

I only wish I could have met him.

Farewell, Mr. Haruo Nakajima. You will be deeply missed; Godzilla and his fans owe everything to you and your performance.

I owe everything.
Last edited by NateZilla10000 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
At the very least they should add "In memory of Haruo Nakjima 1929-2017" at the end of the credits.
I hope they do that for City Shrouded in Shadow as well, he didn't just help bring Godzilla to the world, he helped bring Tokusatu and the Daikaiju genera as well.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:I hope they do that for City Shrouded in Shadow as well, he didn't just help bring Godzilla to the world, he helped bring Tokusatu and the Daikaiju genera as well.
I agree with doing that too.

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

So sad news! He was a legend. Rest in peace Mr. Nakajima!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

For the first time, Godzilla REALLY died. We'll never forget you, Nakajima-san. :(
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

"In the end, the Godzilla I played remains on film forever. It remains in people's memory, and for that I feel really grateful."
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The only time I genuinely felt sad when a celebrity passed away was when Ray Harryhausen died. And now Nakajima. Harryhausen movies and Showa Godzilla movies were my childhood growing up in the early 1980s.
Things like this really hit you when you reach my age. Seeing your beloved childhood heroes pass away.