The miniatures

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

The miniatures

Post by GoWhaleTours »

How were the miniature buildings made? Does anyone know what materials were used, and how they broke so convincingly? They actually looked like giant buildings.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: The miniatures

Post by Stevo_1985 »

No idea boss. It would have to be something pretty brittle. I know in Hollywood they use this candy glass to simulate real glass. It looks and breaks just like glass buts it's some sort of sugar concoction. If you haven't seen it already the documentary bringing Godzilla down to size touches base on the set models and such.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Yeah I knew about the glass. Thanks for pointing me to the dochmentary though. Haven't seen it.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

If I recall, I remember reading in the past that the miniatures were mostly made of wood and plaster of paris, then actually pre-cut with a saw (and the cuts hidden) so that when the actor went to destroy the building it collapsed as it was supposed to. They'd also attach ropes to some miniatures and have people pull from off camera so it looked like the monster was knocking it over, or hide pyrotechnics inside to help blow them up.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Thanks. That's really cool! I really love how good the buildings looked in the toho films.

Has anyone ever though of the fact that the snickers commercial might be the last instance of Godzilla suitmation?
GO GO GOJI KUN

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GoWhaleTours wrote:Thanks. That's really cool! I really love how good the buildings looked in the toho films.

Has anyone ever though of the fact that the snickers commercial might be the last instance of Godzilla suitmation?
Hm...no, that hadn't occurred to me. :|

It will be interesting to see what the future of practical effects will be in Godzilla films, especially with the growing calls for Hollywood to dial back on the CGI. Shin Godzilla, after all, built that big animatronic for the film and there's still other recent films that have used suitmation (the Attack on Titan films, for instance) so it may not be quite the end for suitmation in Godzilla movies. ;)