Mapping the Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Mapping the Godzilla Films

Post by cmdmstudios »

As we all know, in most Godzilla films, the titular kaiju typically appears somewhere in Japan to destroy one of it's metropolises or to fend off another creature like it. And while we do know that Tokyo may be hit in one film, then Osaka in another, and so on and so forth.

What I want to see, though, is Godzilla's (and the other monsters) paths through out each film.

For instance, in G2K, we know that Godzilla first appears in Hokkaido, at the Cape Nosappu Lighthouse, then he goes east, following Main Road 35 until he reaches the small city of Nemuro, then later changing directions to attack the small power station. Then, a next couple days, he appears at the Tokai Power Plant, but before he can destroy it, the JSDF lure him to the Kuji River, where they assault him with the full metal missiles from the northern shore.

I'd list the details for Tokyo, but I cannot remember the district that Godzilla fights Orga at (I want to say Shinjuku, but I'm not sure if that's right).

I'd love to see some visual representations as well. so that people may see exactly what kind of path Godzilla takes through out each film.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Re: Mapping the Godzilla Films

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Daikaiju eiga, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the TK forums. Its continuing mission to explore strange new films, to seek out giant lifeforms and alien civilizations, to boldly go where no nerd has gone before.

Seriously though, I'm exited to see this too.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, I mean... we probably just need two people... one to do the research, and another to make the maps. I could maybe do the latter... (assuming this is only on the level of a map of the whole country, drawing overall routes of kaiju from city/region to city/region each movie; something as specific as the Godzilla 2000 route, we'd need either a heck of a detailed map, or someone with cartographic knowledge of Japan, in order to complete...)
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

http://dev.classmethod.jp/business/busi ... -godzilla/
If you can use Chrome with built in translate, or have a good understanding of Japanese, someone has used Tableau to map out the location from various films. Missing are fictional location like Lagos island.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

szmigiel wrote:http://dev.classmethod.jp/business/busi ... -godzilla/
If you can use Chrome with built in translate, or have a good understanding of Japanese, someone has used Tableau to map out the location from various films. Missing are fictional location like Lagos island.
Okay, that is pretty amazing. I'm glad you managed to dig that up.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."