Favorite/Least Favorite Toho monsters

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tymon
Futurian

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Toho monsters

Post by tymon »

Favorite:
Godzilla 1968
King Ghidorah 1965
Rodan 1956
Varan
Anguirus 1968
Titanosaurus
Mechagodzilla 1975
Godzilla 1999
Baragon 2001

Least Favorite:
SpaceGodzilla
Jet Jaguar
Hedorah
Gabara
Battra
King Ghidorah 2001
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

My favourite has and always will be Godzilla, as he was one of the first fictional characters that I watched that was not only "fun" but cool. I also love Anguirus, Rodan and Mothra. Titanosaurus is pretty awesome in his own way.
My least favourite, well that is a harder question. I actually like most of the monsters, character-wise, at least.

I guess, maybe one like Hedorah or Ebirah? I could never get behind either of them.

Showa Gigan or Ghidora are not my favourites, though that's more due to the designs than anything else, as they're still kind of cool.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

It's hard to make decisions like this. I think all the monsters are pretty cool, and they each bring something different to the table. That said, there are some that stand out.

Godzilla - that goes without saying.

Mothra - Toho's most iconic monster after Godzilla. Arguably Toho's best monster, and definitely the most interesting (consider the Shobijin; the cycle of metamorphosis, death, and rebirth; etc). Mothra provides such a great contrast with the other kaiju: she's not just another mutated dinosaur. She's not just a big bug out of a 50s American monster movie either, but something much better. The Godzilla series from 1964 onwards is unthinkable without her.

Biollante - another really unique monster, nothing like her before or since. Visually stunning and lifelike in the film. And she has a human soul, which gives her another layer of weird/awesome.

Gezora - because how can you not love this goofy mook.

If I had to pick a least favorite it would probably be Orga. Not a bad monster, just kind of generic. He never grew on me.

For the record Ebirah is totally underrated.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

Ebirah's a giant lobster, nothing original about that and yet he radiates an irresistible charm. Maybe its because he's a Showa kaiju.
Visit my fan site: Goji Database

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I'm not a huge fan of Ebirah, or Kamacuras and Kumonga for that matter. They're essentially giant versions of the real-life thing they're based on, without a lot to separate themselves from their small counterparts, both ability and design-wise.

Granted, I don't dislike them either, but I feel a general sense of "meh" about them. That's probably why they're underrated.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

RumbleJapan wrote:Ebirah's a giant lobster, nothing original about that and yet he radiates an irresistible charm. Maybe its because he's a Showa kaiju.
I agree. I wish his face was a little patched up to look more like a lobster though.
And make his pincers create a Sonic Clap.
There.
Super Ebirah.
The Robber wrote: Gezora - because how can you not love this goofy mook.
Oh god! Tokyo is under attack! Somebody help us!
We're all going to die!
It's terrifying!
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

You can't deny that Ebirah's claw rising out of the ocean is a striking image. Ebirah is presented very well in the movie and he gives us an aquatic battle with Godzilla, something never seen before.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

The Robber wrote:You can't deny that Ebirah's claw rising out of the ocean is a striking image. Ebirah is presented very well in the movie and he gives us an aquatic battle with Godzilla, something never seen before.
Ebirah is very well-suited to his role in Sea Monster. His battle with Godzilla is both interesting and entertaining :D

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Favorite:
Showa Godzilla
Showa Anguirus
Showa Rodan
Showa Mothra
Jet Jaguar
Baragon
Biollante
Showa King Ghidorah
Showa Mechagodzilla
Showa Hedorah
Showa Gigan
Megalon
Destoroyah

Least favorite:
Spacegodzilla
Keizer Ghidorah

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Favorites
Gigan (both versions)
Death Ghidorah
Battra larva
Mechagodzilla II (showa)
Ghidorah (showa)
Little Godzilla
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983