The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What's the best Godzilla suit? The countdown begins.

Godzilla 1954 - ShodaiGoji
5%
Godzilla 1955 - GyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1962 - KingGoji
6%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji
15%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1965 - DaisensoGoji
2%
Godzilla 1966 - DaisensoGoji/NankaiGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1967 - MusukoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1968-1972 - SoshingekiGoji
8%
Godzilla 1973 - MegaroGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1974 - MegaroGoji (B Type Head)/MekaGoji
3%
Godzilla 1975 - MegaroGoji (C Type Head)/MekaGyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1984 - ReturnsGoji/Godzilla84/Godzilla85
5%
Godzilla 1989 - BioGoji
14%
Godzilla 1991 - GhidoGoji
3%
Godzilla 1992 - BatoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1993 - RadoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1994 - Mogegoji
2%
Godzilla 1995 - DesuGoji
5%
Godzilla 1999 - MireGoji
6%
Godzilla 2000 - MireGoji (B Type)/GiraGoji
No votes
Godzilla 2001 - SokogekiGoji
6%
Godzilla 2002 - KiryuGoji
2%
Godzilla 2003 - KiryuGoji (B Type)/SOSGoji
8%
Godzilla 2004 - FinalGoji
9%

Total votes: 65

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Re: The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:Design-wise, 2000
Functionality, GMK
Funny, I think GMK works well as a design but is a terrible suit. It stands awkwardly, it waddles goofily, and I'll never understand how people complained about the 2014 Godzilla being fat when that butterball exists. Not trying to bodyshame Godzilla, but seriously: it's arguably the fattest Godzilla suit.

What about its functionality is it that you enjoyed, if you don't mind me asking?

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:Design-wise, 2000
Functionality, GMK
Funny, I think GMK works well as a design but is a terrible suit. It stands awkwardly, it waddles goofily, and I'll never understand how people complained about the 2014 Godzilla being fat when that butterball exists. Not trying to bodyshame Godzilla, but seriously: it's arguably the fattest Godzilla suit.

What about its functionality is it that you enjoyed, if you don't mind me asking?
The animatronics and methods they used to make the suit
it wasn't stiff like a lot of the suits were
2000 is my favorite design, but the actual suit could've been a lot better
https://youtu.be/0zF_-7l4qvI
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Mechagigan wrote:
Coobzilla03 wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:1: Megarogoji 74 ( I feel like the face of this suit is more well rounded in 1974 than in 73 or 75.)

Me, too. '73 looks too much like a puppy dog while '75 just looks... off to me.
'74 makes great use of the suit's static eyes... From some angles he looks just as friendly as '73, while in others, he looks more mean than ever before. It's definitely my favorite Godzilla 'face'.
Exactly! the face in 1973 looks too cartoonishly high, while in 1975 it looks stunted from the side, It's 1974 that really got the look right.
Megarogoji 1974 has been my favorite face for a while now as well, its the perfect face of an reformed asshole turned hero, which is exactly what the Showa Godzilla became by that point. He might save the world, but he still has the same mean tendencies from years past. If you look closely during MechaGodzilla's beam spam, KC tries to use Godzilla as shield, and Godzilla shoves him to the side like "Get offa me!"
I used to like Godzilla 1968/72 as well, until I saw how far back the bottom teeth are, and where is his tongue? did it freeze off in SoG like his ears & 4th toes? :lol:
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Mosugoji is the creme of the crop when it comes to Showa. Personally I'd say it, as well as Megarogoji '74 and Godzilla '68 are the best of the entire Showa series.

Heisei would probably be G84, Biogoji, and Mogegoji.

Millenium is a bit harder since generally I don't really like any of the suits. I'd probably go with GMKGoji, G2k and Kiryugoji.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

5)KiryuGoji
4)KingGoji
3)MosuGoji
2)DaisensoGoji
1)SoshingekiGoji
Last edited by ZinK on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Here are my top five favorites in no particular order. When you think back on it, it's amazing how many Godzilla suits and changes have come to them over the many years.

Gyakushu Goji-1955: A very underrated movie, and an amazing suit. The fangs on it as well as the slimmer body make it a perfect fit for the darker tone of the original Godzilla movies, yet able to fight something. I also love his more mammal-like structure which truly feels like this is not just a simple animal.

BioGoji-1989: This suit is truly the pinnacle of the Heisei era. It looks absolutely excellent, and Godzilla looks so realistic it feels like I can touch him. Say what you want about the Heisei films, but the suits crafted for them are just beautiful. I was originally going to put 1984 in its place, but I felt like this suit was better when you talk about the technology used for them. The animatronics just felt weird for the 1984 suit, and even though the lips curled the eyes constantly moving apart was distracting.

MosuGoji-1964: A really ironic and amazing looking suit, that moves slowly and doesn't stumble as much making it look like it fits in the movie. I only have a problem with the eyes, they just seem a bit too glazed over and it looks kind of weird. Not much else to say about this suit I haven't already said so far.

Desu-Goji-1995: Like the Bio suit, the colors, sculpt, and general technology make this amazing. Plus, it is the first and only Godzilla suit to have these effects, with machines implanted inside of it that specifically were made to leak smoke.

Gira-Goji/Mire-Goji-2000/1999: These two suits were almost exactly the same, except with less shading for the 2000 suit. Both of them felt like very good examples of redesigns for a new era, it's just too bad they didn't last long.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

1. MosuGoji
2. Goji84
3. SokogekiGoji
4. ShodaiGoji
5. BioGoji
GO GO GOJI KUN

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

My personal top 5
1974: My favorite design, the former villain turned heroic badass. That one moment when he looked up the hill in fury, that was pretty intimidating!
1964: 2nd favorite design, the angry, evil mutated sea monster. I like his design in GTTHM because of his reaction to hearing Rodan (and to be honest I don't really see any drop in quality from MvsG).
1965: The first actual Godzilla design I ever saw, the slightly less angry giant dinosaur, I still like this design, but only during monster zero.
1972: The tired but determined monster, for some reason, the crappy state of the suit makes Showa Goji look older, in a somewhat cool way.
1999/millennium: Looks like a cool update to the 1962 suit, I have no complaints about this one.
Honerable mentions:
1954: The one that started it all, the demon of post-war japan.
1962: Ugly neck and head aside, a great suit, perfect for fighting the 8th wonder of the world.
1989: The best Heisei suit, not much else to say.
All of the millennium Gojis except for 2000/GMK.
dishonorable mentions: :lol:
Heisei Godzilla In general: The EXTRA THICC/overrated poster child of this fandom.
1967: No.
zilla: Not actually Godzilla, never will be.
Gmk: The grimdark to end all grimdarks.
2000: a little too bright purple/green for my tastes.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

No order but these are my favorite suits

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

My top:
From worsts ro bests suits:
10)KingGoji: The face looks cartoonized, and he has 3 fingers instead of 4.
9)MegaroGoji: His head is so big compared to the body, and the neck in some scenes looks reaallyyy long.
8)SokogekiGoji/GMKGoji: The eyes are really white, he is hunchedback, he is fat, and those spines are really rare.
7)MosuGoji: It's kinda cartoonized as KingGoji, but with a shorter snout, visible eyebrows, and really weird eyes.
6)KiryuGoji/SOSGoji: His eyes are really shiny, the spikes in his legs and shoulders are cool, and the spikes are really awesome.
5)84Goji: He's kinda angry, the spines are smaller in the back, and bigger in the hip, and the tail is really long.
4)GyakushuGoji: Different to the ShodaiGoji (That he's also one of My favorites) the GyakushuGoji has spines pointing backwards, the face from the side is OK, but from the front looks like a jerk, and the appearence is meh.
3)MogeGoji: He looks nice, I like the face and the color of the eyes, he's kinda thicc, and the tail is longer than the suit's height but that's no problem for me.
2)MireGoji: His scales look like crocodile scales, his eyes are shiny too, his coloration (That is green), looks good, the dorsal spikes are big and pointy, he also has spikes in the legs and shoulders, and the tail is OK.
1)FinalGoji: His snout is long, his eyes are orange, the neck is also long, the dorsal spines are not-so small, the extremities are thin, and the tail is kinda short.
Last edited by Godzilla2004fan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

#1: SokogekiGoji

#2: ShinGoji

#3: MosuGoji

#4: SoshingekiGoji

#5: FinalGoji
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shin's fourth form is nowhere near being another GINO, that's straight libel. I agree that his oversized legs and tail and undersized arms are pretty awkward looking, though. I do like the head, I'll give it that much. And the dorsal plates.

EDIT: The heck? A minute ago the most recent post was about Shin. I must've clicked on the wrong page or something...
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

1. Final Wars Godzilla

2. 1993 Godzilla

3. 1984 Godzilla

4. Godzilla 2000

5. 1968 Godzilla
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

1. GhidoGoji
2. 84Goji
3. Shin
4. GMK
5. MosuGoji
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

1. 1984
2. 1964 (the first one)
3. 1989-1994 (let's be real guys they're all the same suit)
4. 1968
5. 2002-2003

I'm really liking what I've seen so far of 2019 (not a suit technically, I know) but I want to see it in action before I make up my mind.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KaijuCanuck wrote:1989-1994 (let's be real guys they're all the same suit)
I can’t agree with that at all. They all look very similar, because they’re supposed to, but the differences aren’t nearly minute enough to write it off and declare they’re all the same.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Terasawa wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:1989-1994 (let's be real guys they're all the same suit)
I can’t agree with that at all. They all look very similar, because they’re supposed to, but the differences aren’t nearly minute enough to write it off and declare they’re all the same.
There's differences for sure - but they are similar enough that I can't really choose one over any other. I feel pretty comfortable just declaring that general 'heisei look' to be one design in terms of comparing them against the series as a whole. If I were to separate them out they'd take over the whole list, and that's no fun. :D

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

To each his own. I think the ‘92 and ‘93 costumes are significantly worse than the ‘91 and ‘94. Those two would crack my top 5. The other two I mentioned would fall somewhere in the middle.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, there's a very noticeable change in appearance from '93 onward. Godzilla packs on more bolk, his posture shifts forward a little, and his eyes turn orange.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio