The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What's the best Godzilla suit? The countdown begins.

Godzilla 1954 - ShodaiGoji
5%
Godzilla 1955 - GyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1962 - KingGoji
6%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji
15%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1965 - DaisensoGoji
2%
Godzilla 1966 - DaisensoGoji/NankaiGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1967 - MusukoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1968-1972 - SoshingekiGoji
8%
Godzilla 1973 - MegaroGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1974 - MegaroGoji (B Type Head)/MekaGoji
3%
Godzilla 1975 - MegaroGoji (C Type Head)/MekaGyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1984 - ReturnsGoji/Godzilla84/Godzilla85
5%
Godzilla 1989 - BioGoji
14%
Godzilla 1991 - GhidoGoji
3%
Godzilla 1992 - BatoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1993 - RadoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1994 - Mogegoji
2%
Godzilla 1995 - DesuGoji
5%
Godzilla 1999 - MireGoji
6%
Godzilla 2000 - MireGoji (B Type)/GiraGoji
No votes
Godzilla 2001 - SokogekiGoji
6%
Godzilla 2002 - KiryuGoji
2%
Godzilla 2003 - KiryuGoji (B Type)/SOSGoji
8%
Godzilla 2004 - FinalGoji
9%

Total votes: 65

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Top 5 suits of Godzilla

Post by 20th Century Boy »

1. 1954 suit (Godzilla)
2. 1999 suit (G2K)
3. 1989 suit (GvB)
4. 1964 suit (MvG)
5. 2002 suit (GxM)

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Overrated and underrated Godzilla SUITS

Post by Beef Bigshot »

So we have all seen the overrated and underrated Godzilla Movie thread but not a suit one. So it's pretty self explanatory.....

Overrated- gmk, this suit is good and all, but it is really inconsistent with how it looks. Some shots the suit looks spectacular while in others, Godzilla is so freakin fat. Also while I like it's head, some shots make it look pretty cheap with it's teeth sticking out.

Underrated- 1955 "gigantis" suit, this suit I hold very dear to my heart. It's like the original suit but much slimmer. Also it's fins look great! It's criminal how much this suit get looked over by fans
Resized Image

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Overrated and underrated Godzilla SUITS

Post by 20th Century Boy »

The Kingoji suit is by far the most overrated suit. I still don't know what people find in it. I think the face is completely ridiculous and the neck is too big. The arms are also way too meaty.

I don't really have an underrated suit.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Overrated: King Goji for sure. It is a unique suit, but it strikes me as overly reptilian, has a derpy little head, and lacks some of Godzilla's defining facial characteristics. Godzilla typically has a more rounded, sloping face, and this suit is too much of a break from that. The head is just too narrow, and looks a lot like an iguana.

Mosu Goji, while being an excellent suit, is one that I do not find to be that expressive, and when it was upgraded for Ghidorah, it began to look a tad bug-eyed. However, I think I'm in the minority of people who prefer the Ghidorah version to the original.

Mire Goji is just plain overused. Its one of the few redesigns I actually agree is cool, but its over-saturated in media. However, I will say its better than seeing more pictures of GINO.

Underrated: Daisenso Goji seems to be mostly forgotten about, despite the fact that it was used to two fan favorites (Monster Zero and vs. the Sea Monster). It expands on the Mosu Goji suit whilst developing Godzilla's persona into a playful anti-hero: he's cuter and somewhat frog-like, but he can still be menacing and fierce.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Overrated: The 1984 suit. It looks pretty good in some shots but others make him look like he's half asleep. Im also not that fond of the spines. I dunno, they just dont look right. I guess I can just say that if they were facing up-side-down they would look more in place.

Underrated: The SoG suit. Sure, the face does look derpy but I had much more of a problem with the derpiness in the GvH suit.
Everything else about the SoG suit looks fine! (expectually the spines)
^This post in sexually offensive.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Legion1979 wrote:
MustafaDaisenso wrote:Overrated: King Goji for sure. It is a unique suit, but it strikes me as overly reptilian, has a derpy little head, and lacks some of Godzilla's defining facial characteristics. Godzilla typically has a more rounded, sloping face, and this suit is too much of a break from that.
But is that even a fair complaint? There were only two Godzilla suits made before this, and it's drastically different than either of those. Is it really fair to hold this suit up to the standards of what came after it?
I see where you're coming from, but the departure is abrupt, and doesn't carry on the theme of a gradual suit evolution (i.e. how I can see elements of previous suits in another, such as the shape of the '68 suit's head being reminiscent of both the '65 and '67 suits, with the spines similar to the '67).

The King Goji strikes me as a failed experiment (in its facial features), design wise, because every suit after that built on the other. I know that Godzilla's character was taking a break from the past, and I do love the size and shape of the spines, but overall it doesn't really capture the amphibious-dragon qualities I picture with Godzilla.

Also for Underrated suits: Gyakushu Goji, whose suit isn't as well detailed as the original (due to a modified building technique) but who still captures the menace of the first Godzilla while modifying his look to be more dynamic. I think its too bad that fans just love to hate on both the movie the suit is from and the effects, in spite of their surprising quality.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Overrated: GMK - like the first post states, some angles it just looks fat and awkward. It did have it's cool moments, though.

Underrated: 1984 suit - It was big, it looked menacing, it didn't have the blubbery leg look the later Heisei got, and that snarl... yes! Great looking fangs, scary eyes. Of course at times, it also looked derpy, but I think you'll get that with just about any suit.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

PRIMEVAL wrote: Underrated: 1984 suit - It was big, it looked menacing, it didn't have the blubbery leg look the later Heisei got, and that snarl... yes! Great looking fangs, scary eyes. Of course at times, it also looked derpy, but I think you'll get that with just about any suit.
How is that suit underrated? Everybody always sings its praise except for the few like myself who don't seem to like it. If anything, I would say that the suit is overrated. The face looks silly in nearly every shot and I don't care for the positioning of the fins.

I would say an underrated suit is the batogoji suit. It is a good fusion of the musculature of the biogoji suit and the facial features of the mogegoji.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

ligerzilla2014 wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote: Underrated: 1984 suit - It was big, it looked menacing, it didn't have the blubbery leg look the later Heisei got, and that snarl... yes! Great looking fangs, scary eyes. Of course at times, it also looked derpy, but I think you'll get that with just about any suit.
How is that suit underrated? Everybody always sings its praise except for the few like myself who don't seem to like it. If anything, I would say that the suit is overrated. The face looks silly in nearly every shot and I don't care for the positioning of the fins.
I rarely ever see anyone praise it... Perhaps I'm just at the wrong places at the wrong times.

It's a very polarizing suit. I'm a major fan of the '84 design, both on its own merits and based on the fact that feels like a logical evolution of the more anthropomorphic Showa faces that I love.

Aside from that, I'll agree that the 1955 is an underrated design. It's not at all bad, but I feel like people tend to dismiss it because of their indifference to the film it appeared in.

Overrated design for me is 1992 - 1995. Don't get me wrong, the face is brilliant, but adding all that bulk to the biogoji just stripped it of any sense of proportion. It's fat people, deal with it. However, I do love the "burning Godzilla" effect, and this look remains one of my favorites despite the fat suit. If they had given me the '89 proportions in '95, I'd have been in my glory.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

wataru

Im waiting for someone to say G89/91 is overrated so I can unload some butthurt....
so butt rape........or butterape
http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/12/57
Resized Image

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I don't have a preferred underrated suit, but I do think the KingGoji (1962) suit is overpraised. It's not very good. The suit has a dopey face, the mouth is always open, and it pales in comparison to its predecessors.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

predecessorS, YES PLURAL! that means we have another gigantis suit fan!!!!!!!

ya but the king goji suit is just ok in my books, looks cool but aint great, doesnt scream godzilla enough to me
Resized Image

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Beef Bigshot wrote:predecessorS, YES PLURAL! that means we have another gigantis suit fan!!!!!!!

ya but the king goji suit is just ok in my books, looks cool but aint great, doesnt scream godzilla enough to me
High five brother, another Gigantis fan

Yeah the king goji suit is probably the number one overrated suit, for reasons mentioned in previous posts from myself and others, although it has it's moments.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Overrated: GMK. The head and spines looks good, but the rest of the body just looks funny to me. The feet are too big and I don't like the smooth, leathery skin texture it has. I like the rugged, disfigured skin like Miregoji and the late Showa suits had.

Miregoji: While I actually like the suit, media over saturates it like others have said.

Underrated: Megarogoji. Yeah it looked terrible in Godzilla vs Megalon, but I really liked it in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. It and the Godzilla 68/69/71/72 where my favorites when I was a kid and still are today.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Overrrated: I would have to go with the King-Goji suit. All the Showa era suits seem very similar in many ways, but this one is a big departure.

Underrated: I am going to say FinalGoji. Many coomplain about his rat face, and he does have one, but overall the design really works for that movie.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

First three are a tie for me..

1. 1954
2. 1964
3. 1999
4. GMK
5. 1989
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Not in order

GMK
G2K
GFW
G84/85
G91
Yooo 8-)

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

i actually really really like his face
Resized Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Me too for what it was, it was a decent suit for its time. Don't know which suit(s) are overrated, I barely am in suit discussions, but I can identify one underrated one that could piss some people off:

Underrated- FinalGoji, I backed out when finding out that suit, which IMO is one of the best, gets so easily backlashed, mainly on these forums. I understand the rat-face discussion, but is that it? I don't get why people hate a thin Godzilla either. I know that bulky is a bit better, but come on, thin needs some fairness.
Yooo 8-)

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:Me too for what it was, it was a decent suit for its time. Don't know which suit(s) are overrated, I barely am in suit discussions, but I can identify one underrated one that could piss some people off:

Underrated- FinalGoji, I backed out when finding out that suit, which IMO is one of the best, gets so easily backlashed, mainly on these forums. I understand the rat-face discussion, but is that it? I don't get why people hate a thin Godzilla either. I know that bulky is a bit better, but come on, thin needs some fairness.
Its not one of my favorites anymore but I agree. The "rat" head never bugged me because it still looks really mean. The skinny-ness never bugged me either because really, its just as thin as the "all so loved" '64 suit.
^This post in sexually offensive.