The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What's the best Godzilla suit? The countdown begins.

Godzilla 1954 - ShodaiGoji
5%
Godzilla 1955 - GyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1962 - KingGoji
6%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji
15%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1965 - DaisensoGoji
2%
Godzilla 1966 - DaisensoGoji/NankaiGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1967 - MusukoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1968-1972 - SoshingekiGoji
8%
Godzilla 1973 - MegaroGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1974 - MegaroGoji (B Type Head)/MekaGoji
3%
Godzilla 1975 - MegaroGoji (C Type Head)/MekaGyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1984 - ReturnsGoji/Godzilla84/Godzilla85
5%
Godzilla 1989 - BioGoji
14%
Godzilla 1991 - GhidoGoji
3%
Godzilla 1992 - BatoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1993 - RadoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1994 - Mogegoji
2%
Godzilla 1995 - DesuGoji
5%
Godzilla 1999 - MireGoji
6%
Godzilla 2000 - MireGoji (B Type)/GiraGoji
No votes
Godzilla 2001 - SokogekiGoji
6%
Godzilla 2002 - KiryuGoji
2%
Godzilla 2003 - KiryuGoji (B Type)/SOSGoji
8%
Godzilla 2004 - FinalGoji
9%

Total votes: 65

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Worst Godzilla Designs?

Post by Godzilla165 »

What is the worst Godzilla designs to you? This includes the individual Godzillas from all three eras.

#BotM

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: Worst Godzillas

Post by Breakdown »

I really don't like any of the Millenium Godzillas save for Kiryu Goji. One main thing is that while the jagged spines where fine, they where waaay too big on the G2K and GXM suits. Kiryu Goji made them smaller and nicer looking imo. Plus I really don't like the head/face of G2K. GMK Goji and FW Goji are both meh.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Millenium Godzilla's

1 good movie an the rest utterly blew, I hated most of the characters an the Godzilla suit for G-2000 was okay but for G-vs- megaguirus was god awful, as were the effects on megaguirus a 5 year old probably could have done a better film with a budget the price of a box of crayons.

Didn't care for the 2 Mecha-Godzilla films, They were weak, Still hate Godzilla's design an Mecha-Godzilla should be a space alien, always. The Original an Terror of mecha=G are the only real Mecha-Godzilla films... The rest blow.

Godzilla 2000 was okay, but coming off of G-98 serious a dried up dog turd would look better in comparison.

Final Wars - Good effects, The Godzilla suit was pretty decent, the monster updates were good but the lack of monsters an the stupid alien guy ruined the entire movie. To long an a waste of a budget.

GMK - Finally the ONLY good movie to come out of this series, the characters weren't as bad as some of the others, tolerable... Godzilla's design was GREAT, the effects were good esp on how they did the atomic breath, hell even Mothra looked awesome (An i never say that). Best film in a long time.

Over-all this series sucked an box office intake showed it....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Are you asking about the quality of the films, or the designs of the Godzilla suits?

Either way, Millennium is at the bottom of my list, but it'd be nice to know exactly what I'm getting my mad hate on about.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

eabaker wrote:Are you asking about the quality of the films, or the designs of the Godzilla suits?

Either way, Millennium is at the bottom of my list, but it'd be nice to know exactly what I'm getting my mad hate on about.
I think it's the individual creatures and their suits.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ Correct! Which design and personality do you hate the most about a certain Godzilla or Godzillas and why? You can talk about the movies themselves if you feel the need to, but this is mostly discussing which Godzillas you see as the worst.

#BotM

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I would say the Heisei designs are the overall weakest. 84-Goji seems alright from pictures, and Bio-Goji was decent, but I'm not fond of the exaggerated proportions and musculature that intensified with the proceeding films.

The Millennium suits fare better, IMO. Mire-Goji was a good redesign for a new start to the franchise, though still somewhat stiff; and today it's a little extreme for my preference. Kiryu-Goji, on the other hand, took that design and improved on it (but still stiff!). Sokogecki-Goji was somewhat flawed, but still a wonderful "throwback" design. Final-Goji seemed to mix elements of the Showa & Heisei suits, and pulled it off pretty well.

Showa, of course, is still the best. There were a couple of stinker suits (Gyakushu & Musuko) but most of the rest were pretty good, plus the all-around BEST suits of all, Mosu-Goji & King-Goji.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Going a bit off topic here... Why is it that the monsters in the Showa era moved much more naturally than the other eras? Like the flying monsters flapping their wings looked much more genuine then in the Heisei era and in the Millenium somewhat. I would have thought that technology and animatronics improving would have made the suits move more fluidly (especially the flying ones).

Sorry to get off topic, but this has pondered me for the longest time.

#BotM

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Godzilla165 wrote:Going a bit off topic here... Why is it that the monsters in the Showa era moved much more naturally than the other eras? Like the flying monsters flapping their wings looked much more genuine then in the Heisei era and in the Millenium somewhat. I would have thought that technology and animatronics improving would have made the suits move more fluidly (especially the flying ones).

Sorry to get off topic, but this has pondered me for the longest time.

Tsuburaya. Kawakita sucks compared to him.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Heisei, I guess. I love the Biogoji suit, but never cared for the others much. From the pictures I've seen, the head on the RoG suit looks pretty bad, and the post-GvsM suits suffer from obesity and annoying orange eyes.

Then Millenium. Miregoji is another of my favorites, and the GMK suit mostly looks good. I don't like the head on the Kiryu-saga suit, though. And I've never actually seen the FW suit in action, so I can't speak for it.

Showa did the best, with Kingoji and Mosugoji being two more of my favorites. The only suit I don't like is Musukogoji.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I voted Millennium.

It was as if Toho was trying too hard to make Godzilla cool again by making the creature's design pretty dynamic with the jagged plates, spiky skin, and more overall reptilian appearance. Godzilla's presence in the Millennium films (spare Megaguirus, and GMK) seemed that it was just necessary. The rest of the movies could have easily carried on without Godzilla's presence. That's why I feel the Millennium Godzilla is not the greatest.

Heisei, like people have been saying, started out pretty strong and kept Godzilla an ever consistent threat while giving room for him to grow in character.

Showa is indeed the number one best. That's where suit acting was in its prime. Haruo Nakajima definitely made Godzilla the way he is during that era.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I really can't pick. The worst I can think of are the GRA suit, and the Mosuko Goji suit, however that one gets a pass for being in a good movie. While the Heisei design has it's fatness and stiffness I love the overall look and feel, it's easily one of my favorite looks for Godzilla, execution wise however it doesn't fare as well.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Design wise I would have to say showa as some are just downright ugly, Heisei is a tad fat and slow but looks baddass especially 84 and potrays the character well and Millenium all had pretty solid designs with GMK and Kiryu Goji looking the best and GMK representing my favourite portrayal, I found kiryu Goji too slow and dimwitted to be a real baddass.
84-95

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Worst Godzilla Designs?

Post by Arbok »

I want to say the Millennium suits, and probably will... but I wonder how much nostalgia is playing in benefit of the Showa series, it's often hard to argue with the originals though.

I felt the Heisei series was the best of the three design wise, trying something new from the Showa series and really running with it in a way that worked.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Millennium series. Most of the monsters designs just look so B-movie Sci Fi Channel, aside from GMK (though Ghidorah is suspect) and some of the Final Wars designs.

Lioconvoy
Samurai

Post by Lioconvoy »

I really do love the original, they stood constant unlike the millennium.

I think i just would not like the Millennium, they kept re-inventing him.

Sue Dounim
Ronin

Post by Sue Dounim »

I love nearly all of Godzilla's looks, but I voted Showa simply because of the stupid mug of a face that adorns Musukogoji. I'll never get used to it.

XxdoubledragonxX
Ronin

Re: Top 5 suits of Godzilla

Post by XxdoubledragonxX »

5. King Goji (King Kong vs. Godzilla) - this incarnation was a very well made suit. It had aspects of a gorilla and had a very reptilian look to it which added to the fact that Godzilla IS a big reptile.
http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images/5/56/Kk2.jpg

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/KingGoji ... Pagoda.jpg

4. Soshingeki Goji (Destroy All Monsters, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan) - this incarnation was the very first incarnation of Godzilla I laid my eyes on. This suit will always have that special place in my heart because my first ever Godzilla film was Godzilla vs Gigan and I loved this suit.
http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images ... VD_017.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images ... VD_015.jpg

3. Kiryu Goji (X Mechagodzilla, Tokyo S.O.S) - this incarnation is really cool because its heisei colors on the Mire Goji suit basically. I like the Mire Goji suit still but this suit is a great improvement
http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images ... a_2002.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images ... 003%29.gif

2. Bio/Ghido Goji (vs. Biollante, vs. King Ghidorah) - this incarnation is arguably the most powerful incarnation of Godzilla to date. The sculpt of his body in combination with his facial sculpt and ferocious roar truly shows how terrifying Godzilla can be
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... illa91.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/images ... 9-1991.jpg

1. Final Goji (Final Wars) - this is by far the best incarnation of Godzilla in my opinion mostly because it combines aspects of the previous suits into one amazing looking suit
http://kaijukommand.tripod.com/images2/godzilla2004.jpg

http://www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/media/images/zilla1.jpg

I really hope SH Monsterarts makes this incarnation, I would be so happy and I also hope this incarnation is playable in the upcoming Kaiju Combat game :)
stay calm and release restraint level 1

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

1. Daisenso Goji, '65 - he's got a playful look, kinda like a prehistoric frog, but he's fierce, and he's got wonderfully light gray coloring and elegant spines. I watched Monster zero and Godzillas revenge a ton as a kid so I got a lot of exposure to this suit.

2. Soshingeki Goji, '72 - this suit actually got better with wear and age IMHO, the muzzle was improved and helped make him look a tad less muppet like. I think it looked better in 1972 than in '68

3. Megaro Goji, '74 - from one of my favorite films and a big improvement on the new suit, Godzilla was a badass with a 'tude once again.

4. Gyakushu Goji - sleeker than the 54 suit, but equally menacing, more animalistic in its movements, and maintains the irregular spiky spines

5. Mosu Goji, Ghidorah - similar looking to daisenso goji, but a little more derpy eyed,
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

1. Bio/Ghido (89' & 91')
2. Mire (G2K)
3. Daisenso (Invasion of the Astro Monster)
4. Rado (Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II)
5. King (KKvG)
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob