If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How?

Postby Terasawa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm

CommanderBowser wrote:It's more of a title change, but change the Title of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 into Godzilla vs Rodan vs MechaGodzilla, to avoid confusion with the Showa version

I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Terasawa wrote:
CommanderBowser wrote:It's more of a title change, but change the Title of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 into Godzilla vs Rodan vs MechaGodzilla, to avoid confusion with the Showa version

I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”

This.

It's so stupid to call Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla2 when Mechagodzilla 2 is a Showa thing (he has MG2 on his shoulder). I mean, Heisei MG only has one film.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”

This.

It's so stupid to call Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla2 when Mechagodzilla 2 is a Showa thing (he has MG2 on his shoulder). I mean, Heisei MG only has one film.

Well, I think that title was supposed to imply it was the second "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla," not that the character was called MG2. The Pipeworks games definitely skreeonked that up, though.

It turns out Toho registered the film with the U.S. copyright office in 1996 as "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II," but with an alternate (and unused) title "Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla." Idk, that just seems like such a no-brainer to me. The final version of the character is called SMG, it's significantly different from the earlier film, and the early '90s were all about "Super" this and that. It was a mistake to call it anything else, IMO.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:13 am

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”

This.

Well, I think that title was supposed to imply it was the second "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla," not that the character was called MG2. The Pipeworks games definitely skreeonked that up, though.

It turns out Toho registered the film with the U.S. copyright office in 1996 as "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II," but with an alternate (and unused) title "Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla." Idk, that just seems like such a no-brainer to me. The final version of the character is called SMG, it's significantly different from the earlier film, and the early '90s were all about "Super" this and that. It was a mistake to call it anything else, IMO.

What’s extra jarring is it’s not like Toho was afraid to reuse names. Like Godzilla 1984 was just “Gojira” and Mothra vs Godzilla 1991 was Godzilla versus Mothra. It’s not like it’s titled that way to not be confusing or anything.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:19 am

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

This.

Like yeah I get that this is the second incarnation of Mechagodzilla but it just adds confusion to people no in the know that this isn't a sequel to previous Mechagodzilla films.

GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 am

I would love to improve GODZILLA 2000. Making the Milennian's jellyfish form more screentime, displaying more ferocity, like strangling Godzilla with his tentacles or throwing him around like a ragdoll. Make Orga somewhat a more competent foe, seeing him pummel the living s##t out of Godzilla with those big hands and spearing him like Goldberg. Or throwing buildings at him, and maybe see his semi-complete Godzilla form where he is able to have a more improved healing factor and fire a hybrid atomic/plasma cannon. And lastly, not giving a derpy as hell jump.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:36 am

Here's what I'd do:

*Ebirah, Horror of the Deep: Make it a King Kong film, like it was supposed to have been in the first place.

*Destroy All Monsters: Have Baragon actually destroy Paris, let Gorosaurus have his original roar (he was given Baragon's roar for this film originally and Baragon still had it as well) show Manda destroying either Tower Bridge or Big Ben in London (he could be shown coiling around either of them), have someone mention Varan by name, actually hear his roar and give him some close-up scenes with an actual suit, have more mentions of kaiju destroying other cities (two that I thought up long ago for the film would be Minilla destroying New Delhi and Anguirus destroying San Francisco, for example), keep in the Godzilla vs. Manda scene in Tokyo (thus showing that, despite the Kilaaks' mind control, the kaiju still have some antagonism toward each other when one invades another one's space), and have the kaiju that were, at one time or another, planned to be in the film - King Kong, Ebirah, Maguma, Kamacuras (I just put him in because, in my opinion, he should've been in the film), Sanda and Gaira - all actually be in the film.

*Godzilla vs. Gigan: Get rid of the stock footage and make it an all-new film, plus make a new Godzilla suit earlier for this film so that it doesn't fall apart onscreen like it actually did.

*Godzilla vs. Megalon: Same thing with the stock footage here.

*Godzilla vs. Biollante: Keep in the field of flowers scene and all of the Biollante P.O.V. scenes. In fact, keep in all of the kaiju P.O.V. scenes that were made (whatever they were) in all of the Heisei Godzilla films that had them (whichever ones that they were).

*Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla: Keep in the scene where Godzilla tries to free Little Godzilla from the crystals that SpaceGodzilla imprisoned him in, since that gave Godzilla a motive for fighting his enemy in the first place (the scene goes into the film after Little Godzilla's imprisonment in the crystals and before Godzilla roars in anger and leaves Birth Island to go after SpaceGodzilla).

*Godzilla vs. Destoroyah: Keep in the chest beam scene.

*Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack: Have Anguirus and Varan actually be in the film, like they were supposed to have been in the first place. As I've said before many times, we'd have had Anguirus back much sooner and Varan would've probably made it into the big leagues at last. Besides, it would've been fun to have four dinosaurs of different types fighting in a battle (in this case, three vs. one).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 22 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:46 pm

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I would love to improve GODZILLA 2000. Making the Milennian's jellyfish form more screentime, displaying more ferocity, like strangling Godzilla with his tentacles or throwing him around like a ragdoll. Make Orga somewhat a more competent foe, seeing him pummel the living s##t out of Godzilla with those big hands and spearing him like Goldberg. Or throwing buildings at him, and maybe see his semi-complete Godzilla form where he is able to have a more improved healing factor and fire a hybrid atomic/plasma cannon. And lastly, not giving a derpy as hell jump.

Orga, by comics and videogames has been retro-actively converted into a brute, but he/it was never intended to be that. The idea was that it was a creature/race, that was desperate to colonize earth, and failed. Orga was a completely last digit effort to defeat Godzilla and become him, after their current strategy was gradually failing. While I would have liked to see more of the Millenian, essentially what you wished for (dragging Godzilla around with tentacles) is what we get a few moments earlier. I don't think the Millenian could have existed outside the UFO for any extendable duration as well, the dialogue indicates that the creature was made of gas and liquid, and needed a solid form. Orga and the millenian, have this really sort of "soft-sadness" and desperation that is completely removed by the dubbed version of G2K. The chracters acknowledge how kind of pathetic it was that an ancient advanced race of aliens died at Godzilla's hands after centuries of sleeping underwater.

I for one, do not like the idea of people saying how to improve X film beyond aforementioned title changes and superficial stuff. The only thing I think I would do/would have wnated, is for the anime trilogy to have more monster action. The films don't need to change any other way, I like their stories, just satisfy that carnal urge.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Return to “General Toho Films”