If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Re: If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How?

Postby Terasawa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm

CommanderBowser wrote:It's more of a title change, but change the Title of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 into Godzilla vs Rodan vs MechaGodzilla, to avoid confusion with the Showa version

I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Terasawa wrote:
CommanderBowser wrote:It's more of a title change, but change the Title of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 into Godzilla vs Rodan vs MechaGodzilla, to avoid confusion with the Showa version

I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”

This.

It's so stupid to call Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla2 when Mechagodzilla 2 is a Showa thing (he has MG2 on his shoulder). I mean, Heisei MG only has one film.

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”

This.

It's so stupid to call Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla2 when Mechagodzilla 2 is a Showa thing (he has MG2 on his shoulder). I mean, Heisei MG only has one film.

Well, I think that title was supposed to imply it was the second "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla," not that the character was called MG2. The Pipeworks games definitely skreeonked that up, though.

It turns out Toho registered the film with the U.S. copyright office in 1996 as "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II," but with an alternate (and unused) title "Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla." Idk, that just seems like such a no-brainer to me. The final version of the character is called SMG, it's significantly different from the earlier film, and the early '90s were all about "Super" this and that. It was a mistake to call it anything else, IMO.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:13 am

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I always thought Toho should have called it “Godzilla vs. Super Mechagodzilla.”

This.

Well, I think that title was supposed to imply it was the second "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla," not that the character was called MG2. The Pipeworks games definitely skreeonked that up, though.

It turns out Toho registered the film with the U.S. copyright office in 1996 as "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II," but with an alternate (and unused) title "Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla." Idk, that just seems like such a no-brainer to me. The final version of the character is called SMG, it's significantly different from the earlier film, and the early '90s were all about "Super" this and that. It was a mistake to call it anything else, IMO.

What’s extra jarring is it’s not like Toho was afraid to reuse names. Like Godzilla 1984 was just “Gojira” and Mothra vs Godzilla 1991 was Godzilla versus Mothra. It’s not like it’s titled that way to not be confusing or anything.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:19 am

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

This.

Like yeah I get that this is the second incarnation of Mechagodzilla but it just adds confusion to people no in the know that this isn't a sequel to previous Mechagodzilla films.

GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 am

I would love to improve GODZILLA 2000. Making the Milennian's jellyfish form more screentime, displaying more ferocity, like strangling Godzilla with his tentacles or throwing him around like a ragdoll. Make Orga somewhat a more competent foe, seeing him pummel the living s##t out of Godzilla with those big hands and spearing him like Goldberg. Or throwing buildings at him, and maybe see his semi-complete Godzilla form where he is able to have a more improved healing factor and fire a hybrid atomic/plasma cannon. And lastly, not giving a derpy as hell jump.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:36 am

Here's what I'd do:

*Ebirah, Horror of the Deep: Make it a King Kong film, like it was supposed to have been in the first place.

*Destroy All Monsters: Have Baragon actually destroy Paris, let Gorosaurus have his original roar (he was given Baragon's roar for this film originally and Baragon still had it as well) show Manda destroying either Tower Bridge or Big Ben in London (he could be shown coiling around either of them), have someone mention Varan by name, actually hear his roar and give him some close-up scenes with an actual suit, have more mentions of kaiju destroying other cities (two that I thought up long ago for the film would be Minilla destroying New Delhi and Anguirus destroying San Francisco, for example), keep in the Godzilla vs. Manda scene in Tokyo (thus showing that, despite the Kilaaks' mind control, the kaiju still have some antagonism toward each other when one of them invades another one's space), and have the kaiju that were, at one time or another, planned to be in the film - King Kong, Ebirah, Maguma, Kamacuras (I just put him in because, in my opinion, he should've been in the film), Sanda and Gaira - all actually be in the film. Hey, I'd even include the Oodako at this point.

*Godzilla vs. Gigan: Get rid of the stock footage and make it an all-new film, plus make a new Godzilla suit earlier for this film so that it doesn't fall apart onscreen like it actually did in this film.

*Godzilla vs. Megalon: Same thing with the stock footage here.

*Godzilla vs. Biollante: Keep in the field of flowers scene and all of the Biollante P.O.V. scenes. In fact, keep in all of the kaiju P.O.V. scenes that were made by special effects director Koichi Kawakita (whatever they were) in all of the Heisei Godzilla films that had them (whichever ones that they were).

*Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla: Keep in the scene where Godzilla tries to free Little Godzilla from the crystals that SpaceGodzilla imprisoned him in, since that gave Godzilla a motive for fighting his enemy in the first place (the scene goes into the film after Little Godzilla's imprisonment in the crystals and before Godzilla roars in anger and leaves Birth Island to go after SpaceGodzilla).

*Godzilla vs. Destoroyah: Keep in the chest beam scene.

*Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack: Have Anguirus and Varan actually be in the film, like they were supposed to have been in the first place. As I've said before many times, we'd have had Anguirus back much sooner and Varan would've probably made it into the big leagues at last. Besides, it would've been fun to have four dinosaurs of different kinds fighting in a battle (in this case, three vs. one).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 25 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:46 pm

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I would love to improve GODZILLA 2000. Making the Milennian's jellyfish form more screentime, displaying more ferocity, like strangling Godzilla with his tentacles or throwing him around like a ragdoll. Make Orga somewhat a more competent foe, seeing him pummel the living s##t out of Godzilla with those big hands and spearing him like Goldberg. Or throwing buildings at him, and maybe see his semi-complete Godzilla form where he is able to have a more improved healing factor and fire a hybrid atomic/plasma cannon. And lastly, not giving a derpy as hell jump.

Orga, by comics and videogames has been retro-actively converted into a brute, but he/it was never intended to be that. The idea was that it was a creature/race, that was desperate to colonize earth, and failed. Orga was a completely last digit effort to defeat Godzilla and become him, after their current strategy was gradually failing. While I would have liked to see more of the Millenian, essentially what you wished for (dragging Godzilla around with tentacles) is what we get a few moments earlier. I don't think the Millenian could have existed outside the UFO for any extendable duration as well, the dialogue indicates that the creature was made of gas and liquid, and needed a solid form. Orga and the millenian, have this really sort of "soft-sadness" and desperation that is completely removed by the dubbed version of G2K. The chracters acknowledge how kind of pathetic it was that an ancient advanced race of aliens died at Godzilla's hands after centuries of sleeping underwater.

I for one, do not like the idea of people saying how to improve X film beyond aforementioned title changes and superficial stuff. The only thing I think I would do/would have wnated, is for the anime trilogy to have more monster action. The films don't need to change any other way, I like their stories, just satisfy that carnal urge.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:37 am

Destroy all Monsters: replace Kumonga with Maguma, and add Sanda as a Monsterland resident. Have Mothea be in Imago form, and push the film back by a year so the suits are repaired and so all the monsters get a chance to beat the poop outta Ghi2instead of being forced to the sidelines.

Godzilla vs. Gigan: have Varan join Godzilla and Anguirus, have Hedorah return as an ally to Gigan and Ghidorah and keep the original title of The Return of King Ghidorah.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2: change everything about Mechagodzilla's design.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Marp
Ronin

Postby Marp » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 am

Personally, in terms of Godzilla films I'd change, probably the 2014 one into a more Godzilla focused feature, even if it would mean bumping up the running time even longer than it already is. I'd be at least interesting to see the version of the movie we saw in the trailers, with Godzilla being the main antagonist. As unique and fun as the MUTOs are, it'd be nice to either

A. Have Godzilla as the main antagonist

or

B. Have Godzilla in more of an Anti-hero role, the lesser of two evils compared to the invasive species, the MUTOs.

I think it comes down to making the MonsterVerse Godzilla more than just "protects the balance good guy" and add more of a shade of grey. Maybe have Godzilla become corrupted by Ghidorah's presence or something and have him wreck havoc on Humanity from it. But what is this, a GVK speculation thread?

Point is, more evil MV Godzilla, make Godzilla more of an interesting character and give some food for thought about if his actions are morally correct or something. Not saying I want Godzilla Vs SAW, just a thought I got when I saw this thread.

HedorahIsBestGirl
JXSDF Technician

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:27 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:Godzilla vs. Gigan: have Varan join Godzilla and Anguirus, have Hedorah return as an ally to Gigan and Ghidorah and keep the original title of The Return of King Ghidorah.

As much as I love Hedorah, I don't like this idea. First of all, Hedorah is an all-consuming, all-destroying lifeform, not some alien pawn. Frankly, I don't like that King Ghidorah was portrayed as such after his debut. Secondly, Godzilla and Anguirus would have been completely screwed if Hedorah was thrown into the mix, even if everyone from Monster Island turned up to help. Godzilla only defeated Hedorah with the assistance of an advanced human weapon, and using such a weapon twice in a row would be very redundant.
The sea has cobalt, it's full of mercury. Too many fumes in our oxygen!
All the smog now is choking you and me. Good Lord, where is it gonna end?
Got to get it back, someday. Got to get it back, and soon now.
For tomorrow maybe you and me...
We're movin', we're movin', movin' to the Moon now!
It's up to us to make a choice.
We know what it's worth to save the Earth!

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Lets see....

Spoiler:
Godzilla - Pretty much nothing. I like it as is.

Godzilla Raids Again - I always felt like killing Anguirus at the middle portion of the movie kind of killed the momentum for the 2nd half. Why put the explosive and wild city destroying monster battle at the middle portion of the film? That should be the ending, right?

King Kong Vs. Godzilla - Can we design a better Kong suit please? lol. Aside from that, the (deliberate) comedic tone and satirical take does generate some laughs, but I would have liked a tone closer to what we got in Mothra Vs. Godzilla. That would have felt more appropriate for an occasion as big as this.

Mothra Vs. Godzilla - If you asked me at age 5, I would have said "Make Godzilla win!" lol. Now though? Its fine as is.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster - It would have been nice to see Ghidorah as more of a global threat, like he was built up to be. I know these movies take place in Japan, but it would have been neat to see Ghidorah tear up other countries and other cities before making his way to Japan, where Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra are waiting as the last line of defense. Its a minor change, but one that makes Ghidorah a little bit more threatening.

Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero - Very entertaining film, but the writing could have used a touch up. The biggest issue for me is how the Planet X aliens execute their plan. Why go to the trouble of tricking humanity into allowing them to take Godzilla and Rodan when it appears that they could have just easily taken them when ever they wanted? I mean even if humanity interfered, could they have really done anything to stop them? Maybe they could have written it in a way where the X-aliens needed to play nice in order to find out where Godzilla and Rodan were located, so there'd be some value in them having to lie to the Earth.

Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster - Odd thing to say, but I really think this movie would be better if Godzilla wasn't in it. Once he wakes up, The Red Bamboo and Ebirah no longer seem like as big of a threat. Godzilla is the greatest sea monster of all time, so a giant lobster isn't going to be too much of a challenge for him, and the Red Bamboo isn't going to stand up to him either. Had it been Kong like originally planned, at the very least, a sea monster would present a unique challenge for a land monster like Kong. The island setting and scenes of him bashing planes and hitting on the pretty native girl would have been more in Kong's wheel house anyway. And if Kong wasn't in it, this might have worked as a stand alone Mothra film as well, with Mothra taking revenge for her people being abducted, a call back to the original Mothra film. Although Ebirah wouldn't challenge her all that much as she could just fly over him, but hey.

Son of Godzilla - Can we please design Minilla in a way so that he actually looks like a baby Godzilla? I'll never understand the Doughboy look they went with, lol.

Destroy All Monsters - All the monsters got their moments to shine...except Baragon and Varan. It would have been nice to see them get something, even if it was just a quick moment. To have Baragon as a guard dog guarding the Kilaak base might have been nice, and using him to destroy the Arc De Triumph (as originally scripted) would have made more sense given his abilities (too bad about the suit). And with Varan we could have at least had shots of him taking down planes and jets or something, right?

As for other monsters, the big ones that got left out were King Kong and The Gargantuas. I'll take Kong out of the equation since there is a whole right's issue there, but the Gargantuas would have been cool to have. Granted, that was also impossible as Haruo Nakajima is Godzilla and was VITAL to making Gaira work, and he can't play both (if they are going to share screen time anyway) but still, it would have been nice to see.

Finally, I always felt like the finale with The Fire Dragon was a bit of a tacked on climax. I feel like the Kilaak threat was eliminated, Ghidorah was killed, the monsters were freed....we're pretty much done here, but then they tack on the Fire Dragon as a last minute climax. Maybe it could have worked if the Monsters had saved the SY-3 (say Rodan takes a retaliatory shot at it and opens up the SY-3 to shoot it down) , signifying some kind of a union between man and monster, but as is, it feels tacked on.

Godzilla's Revenge - Don't use stock footage. I actually kind of like the "Godzilla in Wonderland" kind of idea here with the whole thing being a dream/imaginary voyage and they could have done so many weird and wacky things with it. I mean, what would a 10 year old kid come up with dreaming about visiting Godzilla's home? I gotta tell ya, I wouldn't have envisioned watching his same old battles over and over again. There is some imaginative areas to go with here, but instead, it just looks like a Godzilla clip show.

Godzilla Vs. Hedorah - I love this one, so its hard for me to criticize it, but I understand why the film is off putting for some. The tone is all over the place. Some times its a ponderous and gruesome horror film and other times it is a trippy and weird comedy. While I appreciate it for being what it is, may picking a lane and staying in it would have been better for most.

Godzilla Vs. Gigan - Again...lose the stock footage. Actually, did we even need the stock footage? There is enough cool stuff in the final battle that I think it would work just fine if you cut it out. Its just distracting to see so much old footage spliced in with the new stuff, which is actually kind of neat.

Godzilla Vs. Megalon - Good gravy, I don't even know where to start here. I always hated Megalon's design and would have liked for him to look more like a real beetle instead of a man in a bug mask. So I'd change that. Also the use of heavy stock footage is annoying. Also, I never understood why Megalon needs a robot to guide him to the city to destroy and then he's completely lost without it. It would be like the end of Godzilla Vs. Gigan where Ghidorah and Gigan are broken from the mind control and they just flop around like idiots.

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla - The ending was a little weird where Dr. Miyajima, Masahiko, and Nanbara are shown escaping, but we never see them reunite with the rest of the characters. The dub kind of implies that they died, but the original language implies that they escaped. Would have been nice to get something more definitive there. Also, with all that build up, I would have liked King Caesar to be a little bit more impactful in the final battle.

Terror of Mechagodzilla - Not much to change as I really like this one, and finally seeing the uncut version fixed many of the issues I had with the film. I guess I would have liked for the final battle to be a blood bath like the previous film was, but this film felt more like the films of the 60s, which wasn't really the style at that time, so maybe Honda wanted to honor that. Who knows?

The Return of Godzilla - I wish they had delved a little bit more into Prof. Hayashida's history with Godzilla. Sometimes I wonder if the movie should have been about that: A guy who has hatred towards Godzilla for losing his family, but then coming to terms with it over the course of 30 years.

Godzilla Vs. Biollante - Small detail, but I would have liked an explanation in the film for why Hayashida's plan to stop Godzilla in the previous film is no longer used here. I mean, this isn't like the Oxygen Destroyer where the creator was killed and took the secrets with him. This is a pretty full proof permanent solution, is it not? Some type of explanation, or even an attempt to use it again and it fails, would have been nice to see.

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah - I love this one, but Emi Kano needed to be executed better. As is, she's either a person who knew what would happen and realized the error of her ways (which was probably the intent) or she's a complete moron that got duped, and somehow didn't see what was going to happen, even though she had a direct hand in making it happen. Also, why is she so ra-ra Japan now when she works for an organization that is looking to prevent their rise to economic prominence in the future? You could say that her experiences in past Japan warmed her heart to it, but we don't know what her life is like in the future, so there is no contrast we can see, and her change seems to be out of nowhere. A little tweaking to the script could have executed this better and get the kind of character they were probably shooting for.

Godzilla Vs. Mothra - Well, to me it is weird to have an environmental message when its actually a meteorite that awoke the monsters. I mean...that isn't humanity's fault, is it? If you're going to have an environmental message, maybe having the monsters arrival be the direct fault of mankind's abuse of the environment would be a good place to start. Also, the movie reenacted too many scenes and plot points from the original Mothra for my liking and I would have liked to have done something a little different with her.

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla - To this day, I still don't understand why Aoki was drafted to G-Force against his will and off the project he was clearly capable of working on, nor do I understand why his superior berates him for having a hobby. I mean...you all drafted him. Didn't you know what you were getting? Maybe it would have been better to have him willingly sign up, hoping to be a military hero, and we see him struggle, train, and get better over time.

Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla - Drop the Yakuza sub plot. Its dumb and derails the movie. Also, the not fully realized romance stuff is unnecessary. Keep the focus on Yuki and his Ahab like obsession with Godzilla, and how his goals conflict with saving the Earth from Spacegodzilla. That's where the real meat and potatoes are. Oh and why they went from a "Baby Godzilla that looks like Godzilla" to an obnoxiously cute little puffball is beyond me, lol. Change that please (well they did in the next film, but hey).

Godzilla Vs. Destroyah - Part of me wishes that Godzilla got the kill shot on Destroyah before melting down, but he got to take center stage anyway, so I'll live with it. While it is a fantastic scene, I think Godzilla's death would have played better if there was no dialogue at all, and we just saw the characters facial expressions.

Godzilla 2000 - The whole bit with Yuki trying the find out information about the aliens and then Shinoda taking her place and risking his life to find out all feels a little off when the information they gather in no way helps Godzilla defeat the alien. If they had discovered some weakness or found out SOMETHING that could be used to help fight it, then their risking of their lives would have meant something. Instead, it didn't feel like they found out anything that important and then Godzilla just shows up to fight the big bad and takes over for the rest of the film. Maybe rewrite it in a way where Shinoda found a way to signal Godzilla to lead him to the UFO, knowing that Godzilla was the only thing that could stop it, and Katagiri, feeling that Godzilla will only make things worse, tries to stop that. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Godzilla X Megaguirus - I was always a bit surprised that we never got to a point where Kiriko's obsession with getting revenge on Godzilla didn't lead to her realizing that she messed up. It was her group's testing of the Dimension Tide that released something far worse in the Megagnula swarm and eventually Megaguirus. Or at least, it should be viewed as something worse, but the G-Graspers focus is still purely on Godzilla, and Megaguirus is seen as more of an interruption that prevents them from finishing him off. They never really devise a plan to stop Megaguirus, or come to realize that their overzealous nature in dealing with Godzilla creating something much worse. They just go about as planned, which always kind of undercut Megaguirus as a villain to me. It almost felt like she was there because Godzilla has to fight a monster, making her presence in the film feel like the script was fulfilling an obligation.

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack - Obviously, I would change the guardian monsters around. Ghidorah as a good guy teamed up with Mothra never worked for me. If they had gone with Mothra, Baragon, and say Varan or Rodan, I would have had an easier time accepting it. Varan would have made a lot of sense actually given his god-like status in his original film. Also, Gen. Tachibana's survival at the end was always baffling to me. Part of me wishes he had just gotten the Serasawa style sacrifice death, but even if they didn't want to do that, the sheer mechanics of his survival are off the wall. His sub gets swallowed by Godzilla, and he uses the opportunity to blow a hole in Godzilla's chest from the inside. Godzilla tries his atomic breath, but it comes out through the gaping wound and SOMEHOW, Tachibana's sub wasn't destroyed by that same atomic blast. Initially, I thought Godzilla was going to do even more damage to himself by exploding the sub inside of himself by doing what he did. As is though, I guess I'm just supposed to buy taht Tachibana somehow survived the whole ordeal.

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla - The next film kind of fixes it, but I always felt like the lack of resolution to Kiryu being possessed by the spirit of the 1954 Godzilla was off putting. Its an obvious problem and makes launching Kiryu super risky in the future, but they decide to do it and the problem never comes up for the rest of the film. Um...ok. What did they do to fix it? I guess it didn't matter in the end.

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS - While I enjoyed working the original Mothra film into the continuity of this film, the "Mothra Greatest Hits" aspect of it felt a bit repetitive. I would have liked more different stuff.

Godzilla: Final Wars - Less would have been more. Cut down on the kung fu fighting. Cut down on the weird and out of place comedy (like the scene in New York). Cut down on the obvious movie references (Star Wars, Matrix, etc.). Also, how the people that became disguises for the Xileans survived...yeah, that was the biggest WTF moment in a movie full of them, lol. Just keep them dead. I wouldn't have questioned it. Finally, this was Gigan's big return after over 30 years...it would have been nice if he didn't get not one, but two undignified deaths out of it.

Godzilla (2014) - The obvious one is to keep Joe Brody alive, at least through the 2nd act. He was the emotional core of the set up to the film, and I think it would have worked better to have the movie about the father and the son rather than just the son.

Shin Godzilla (2016) - I love this one, so there isn't much for me, but if you're going to have one of the Japanese actresses play an American, it would probably be better to find one that can fluently speak English. I guess that doesn't matter to Japanese audiences, but its a little distracting to English speaking audiences when she's clearly struggling with it.

The Godzilla Anime Trilogy (2017-2018) - Honestly, you could have trimmed the fat on this thing and make it all one movie, and it probably would have worked much better. There is a fan edit begging to be made there. Also, all that build up for Mechagodzilla and Mothra and to not really get them feels like we were fed nothing buy lies....LIES! Just give us radically evolved and crazy versions of Mothra and Mechagodzilla like we got with Godzilla and Ghidorah. Come on guys! Be cool!

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - I would have been nice to have Charles Dance play a definitive role in the climax (say he followed Emma to stop the Orca from being used to stop the Titans) rather than just being used for a sequel bait-y Marvel-esque post credit scene. Also, it would have been nice if there were fewer quippy one liners. We didn't get a TON of them like I was dreading, but some of those could have been cut.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:49 pm

GojiDog wrote:King Kong Vs. Godzilla - Can we design a better Kong suit please? lol. Aside from that, the (deliberate) comedic tone and satirical take does generate some laughs, but I would have liked a tone closer to what we got in Mothra Vs. Godzilla. That would have felt more appropriate for an occasion as big as this.

I think the tone is precisely what makes the movie so great. It's poking fun at just how absurd Godzilla and King Kong fighting really is.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tamura » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:57 pm

I wouldn't have undercranked most of the fighting in Mothra vs. Godzilla. Why the heck did they do that?

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Tamura wrote:I wouldn't have undercranked most of the fighting in Mothra vs. Godzilla. Why the heck did they do that?

That's a good one. I think it works OK with Mothra but the illusion of speed doesn't work when Godzilla is in the shot.

On a similar note, I would have overcranked the Godzilla footage in KKvG more than they did. There are some shots during the SDF's pitfall operation where the standard framerate makes Godzilla appear a lot less massive. The lack of the usual footfall sound effects doesn't help that either.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:32 am

Tamura wrote:I wouldn't have undercranked most of the fighting in Mothra vs. Godzilla. Why the heck did they do that?

I assume it was largely to give a speed and energy to the shots that the Mothra prop was incapable of achieving at 24fps or higher.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:40 am

Godzilla vs. Mothra: Don't even have Godzilla in it. It's pretty clear he was being shoehorned.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
JXSDF Technician

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:Godzilla vs. Mothra: Don't even have Godzilla in it. It's pretty clear he was being shoehorned.

I disagree with this; Godzilla vs. Mothra presents us with the only true three-way kaiju battle in the entire series, which is kinda cool (up until Mothra and Battra randomly team up). Definitely a more secondary role for Godzilla, but that's not always a bad thing.
The sea has cobalt, it's full of mercury. Too many fumes in our oxygen!
All the smog now is choking you and me. Good Lord, where is it gonna end?
Got to get it back, someday. Got to get it back, and soon now.
For tomorrow maybe you and me...
We're movin', we're movin', movin' to the Moon now!
It's up to us to make a choice.
We know what it's worth to save the Earth!

Destoroyah of Worlds
G-Grasper

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:31 am

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Godzilla vs. Mothra: Don't even have Godzilla in it. It's pretty clear he was being shoehorned.

I disagree with this; Godzilla vs. Mothra presents us with the only true three-way kaiju battle in the entire series, which is kinda cool (up until Mothra and Battra randomly team up). Definitely a more secondary role for Godzilla, but that's not always a bad thing.

Yeah, Godzilla-lite films aren't bad. I prefer them, even.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Alright, back to Final Wars. Fixing things up by category.
Spoiler:
Suits
.Fix Godzilla's spines by making them bigger and have them resemble the early Showa suits. His face could also look more reptile esc. Kinda like a Komodo dragon.
. Anguirus gets a more Showa like face, but other than that stays the same
.King Caesar gets his ruby eyes back, his ears would be shorter, and the face itself needs to look more like the Showa version because man it does not look good (i only have Millennium King Caesar as my sig because no Showa version was small enough to fit)
. Gigan gets his original green and gold colors back, other than that he's the same.
.Kamacuras gets his red skin back instead of it being green, and the left hand gets the "spear arm" back, other than that he's the same too

Monster Roster
. Much as i like Zilla he honestly didn't need to be in this movie. I'd replace him with Varan, who is pretty much an updated version of his Showa counterpart.
.King Ghidorah appears in this movie, and he''s the one Mothra fought 1,000 years ago instead of Gigan. H'es also the one hiding in the Gorath asteroid. His design is a mix of Showa and Grand King (think of a more Grand like face, but with Showa's horns and the mane instead of facial fins). Monster X still appears as his right hand man, and he doesn't transform into Keiser Ghidorah.
.Minilla stays, although i'd make sure his relationship with Godzilla gets more screentime because without it, the ending doesn't really make much sense. (why would Godzilla stop fighting humanity because of some random monster he never met?)
Story
. Instead of the film just being "Godzilla wrecks everyone the end!" he's actually searching for Minilla. Not only that, but he's forced to team up with some of the monsters to his chargin.
. Kumonga, Ebirah and Kamacuras still have the same roles (i can't imagine them being anything else but fodder) but Hedorah gets much more time in the spotlight instead of being thrown to the side.
. Godzilla and Gigan's fight in Antarctica is extended.
. Somewhere in between Godzilla's fight with the insects and crustacean, the humans manage to free Varan, Rodan, Anguirus and Caesar from mind control. Godzilla heads to Mount Fuji where a five way brawl breaks out. After a while, Mothra comes in and forces them to stop fighting and work together in order to stop Monster X and Ghidorah.
. Manda is freed thanks to the Gotengo and Anguirus and also joins to stop the Xiliens. This pretty much leads to the final battle against Gigan Hedorah and a slew of Xilien ships.
. After Gigan and Hedorah are killed, Gorath comes down, and the three headed siblings (?) come down and mop the floor with everyone and kill Mothra. Gotengo gives Godzilla energy, spiral ray, BIG BOOM.
. Before Godzilla's "squadron" decides to go back into war with humanity, Minilla comes in and tells them to stop. Finally able to find his son, Godzilla and his newfound friends leave, ready to rest up and fight another day.

Return to “General Toho Films”