If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How Would You Alter/Improve Them?

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think they're all fine for what they are but if I had to change something, I'd probably give Godzilla and Destoroyah's battle in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah a much better ending that doesn't involve the JSDF. Either have Destoroyah kill Godzilla but be vaporized by the meltdown's energy or have Godzilla kill Destoroyah himself without any help from the JSDF and then meltdown.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How Would You Alter/Improve Them?

Post by GalacticPetey »

UltramanGoji wrote:have Godzilla kill Destoroyah himself without any help from the JSDF and then meltdown.
This so much. I always hear that the ending was changed because they felt having Godzilla kill Destoroyah while melting down would have taken away from the emotional impact. Fair point, but I don't know why they didn't just go with Destoroyah being killed, and then having the meltdown begin.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

While I agree with UltramanGoji, the films are fine the way they are, but if me changing up a Godzilla film is a must, I would change up Godzilla Final Wars. I feel like that if it was revised and changes were made to the film, then it could be a solid film. Here are some of the changes I would make:
- Get rid of Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah. While I like Monster X, Keizer Ghidorah is garbage. Even then, I don't know why they put him in this film and not King Ghidorah. So, I would replace X and Keizer with King Ghidorah.
- The monsters. I would redesign Godzilla, King Caesar, and Hedorah. Give Godzilla a face that doesn't look like a rat with fangs, change up KC COMPLETELY. And get rid of the parts of Hedorah I didn't care for.
- The Characters. X and Captain Gordon were alright. But I would give the other characters better lines and make sure they and the monsters get a good amount of spotlight and not just focused around Ozaki.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Post by CommanderBowser »

Bringing this thread with some ideas.

Note: I'm only including the films that I've seen.

Godzilla (1954): keep the scene where Godzilla is eating cows. That way, he would act like a real animal.

King Kong vs Godzilla: same for now

Destroy all Monsters: If Kong's rights are extended a bit, he could appear in the film. Also add Maguma, Kamacuras and Ebirah, upgrade those suits, and Baragon and Varan's as well. Speaking of which, have Baragon, Manda and Varan help Godzilla fight King Ghidorah in the climax. The film would have an extra few months of production to help it out.

Godzilla vs Hedorah: same for now

Godzilla vs Megalon: less stock footage and more production time, but other then that, keep it the same

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla: add Anguirus to the climax

Terror of MechaGodzilla: Give Godzilla more screentime. Also have Titanosaurus get freed and team up with Godzilla to fight MechaGodzilla.

Return of Godzilla: same for now

Godzilla vs Biollante: keep the scene with Godzilla encountering the flowers.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah: add Anguirus to the film. To make it less rushed, Godzilla's battle with Anguirus would replace the scene of Godzilla destroying Tokyo. Mecha King Ghidorah would go on a rampage, so Godzilla and Anguirus must team up to stop him.

Godzilla vs Destoroyah: Scale Godzilla Jr and Aggregate form Destoroyah to 60 meters. That way, Jr could stand a better chance against Destoroyah.

Godzilla (1998): Have Zilla use the atomic ray a bit. Another change is that Zilla would be female. Also have them explain that those missile have venom of the most venomous animals, that way, the death is more reasonable.

GMK: see the fixing movies thread

Godzilla against MechaGodzilla: same for now

Godzilla Final Wars: who knows, possibly a Giant Octopus appearing to take Manda's place, so Manda can help Godzilla fight Hedorah, but honestly, Final Wars is very fun. There is one change, give this film a sequel or some prequals.

Godzilla (2014): a bit of fights would not hurt.

Godzilla Resurgence: give Shin Godzilla's Third form more screentime.

Anime Godzilla Trilogy: possibly give it an anime series, so more potential. I honestly found the Anime Trilogy to be good, but more fights would not hurt.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Move the anti-climactic "fire dragon" sequence of DAM BEFORE the big fight with Ghidorah. Kong, Imago Mothra and a few other monsters may have been fun, but that's the sort of stuff the filmmakers didn't really have control over, so I won't bother wondering about it.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

CommanderBowser wrote:Terror of MechaGodzilla: Give Godzilla more screentime. Also have Titanosaurus get freed and team up with Godzilla to fight MechaGodzilla.
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah: add Anguirus to the film. To make it less rushed, Godzilla's battle with Anguirus would replace the scene of Godzilla destroying Tokyo. Mecha King Ghidorah would go on a rampage, so Godzilla and Anguirus must team up to stop him.
I know these are just your ideas but I hope you don't mind some feedback on why I think these two examples are better off unchanged.

I think the conclusion of Terror of Mechagodzilla works better if you realize Titanosaurus is just another innocent victim of Mafune's selfish pursuits. Katsura has to die, so should the gentle Titanosaurus. Mafune used both for his means and ultimately robbed both of their natures and I just don't think the movie would work as well for me if the climax was altered from that.

As for King Ghidorah, I like the idea of having only two monsters. It's already a very complicated narrative so adding another monster, especially right at the end, only makes it more cluttered. It also changes the link between the two existing monsters.

We track both through their various evolutions, from their pre-mutative states in 1944 to their familiar monster forms in 1992 to their ultimate forms in the Shinjuku showdown. At the end, Godzilla is bigger and more powerful than ever while Ghidorah is revived with future technology so it can stand a chance against Godzilla. In their initial forms they also display some kind of emotional connection to humans: Godzilla appears appreciative of the Japanese soldiers and the Dorats are stated to have been engineered to respond to human emotions. But by the film's conclusion, both characters are totally "monsterified." Godzilla seems to have lost all sympathy for Shindo and the same creature that once "helped" Japan is now actively destroying it. Ghidorah, meanwhile, is basically a robot zombie far far removed from the cute pets that were left at Lagos Island.

I also like that the two title matches mirror each other. In the first, Ghidorah is the villain, being controlled by the 23rd Century people to destroy Japan. Godzilla obviously isn't really a hero: the Japanese hope that he'll unwittingly help them by destroying Ghidorah. Once he does, he becomes the menace again, so they have to go to the future to resurrect Ghidorah, previously their foe, to stop Godzilla's rampage. It's complicated but also really clever plotting. Emi gets rid of Godzilla, but MKG is defeated as well. In other words, their creations are linked as are their fates. Of course, Toho continued the series and brought Godzilla back and ultimately made him more powerful in vs. Destoroyah, kind of undoing all that, but as a standalone entry I like how Godzilla and Ghidorah are tied together here. I feel that another monster would change that too much.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Terasawa wrote:
CommanderBowser wrote:Terror of MechaGodzilla: Give Godzilla more screentime. Also have Titanosaurus get freed and team up with Godzilla to fight MechaGodzilla.
I know these are just your ideas but I hope you don't mind some feedback on why I think these two examples are better off unchanged.

I think the conclusion of Terror of Mechagodzilla works better if you realize Titanosaurus is just another innocent victim of Mafune's selfish pursuits. Katsura has to die, so should the gentle Titanosaurus. Mafune used both for his means and ultimately robbed both of their natures and I just don't think the movie would work as well for me if the climax was altered from that.
You beat me to it Terasawa! I agree, for me having another teamup battle against MG would not only feel redundant, but hurt the story. Story should always be a top priority.
Godzilla's screentime works since at this point he's this "Monster of Justice", and pretty much only needs to battle the antagonists. I found all of Godzilla's scenes in TOMG to be very memorable.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: You beat me to it Terasawa! I agree, for me having another teamup battle against MG would not only feel redundant, but hurt the story. Story should always be a top priority.
Godzilla's screentime works since at this point he's this "Monster of Justice", and pretty much only needs to battle the antagonists. I found all of Godzilla's scenes in TOMG to be very memorable.
In Japan anyway it was billed as the second film of the "Mechagodzilla Series," so I don't think it's such a problem that Godzilla plays a supporting part. Certainly the story is about Mafune and his family's tragedy thanks to his actions. I think there are some films where Godzilla is better off yielding the spotlight to someone or something else, and this is one of them.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is one film I'd almost completely rework. I discussed this in another thread but my main idea would be to invert the theme of the first Godzilla film. There, Godzilla stands in for man's undisciplined use of atomic energy and weaponry and the Oxygen Destroyer, a device with even more catastrophic potential, was used as a last effort to stop Godzilla. Here, I would have our characters use another similar super weapon, the Dimension Tide, to stop Godzilla with the purpose of continuing the development of nuclear and other energy sources that Godzilla had been interrupting since 1954. I doubt any Japanese filmmaker would have ever made a film with that message but I think it's more interesting than the crap we got. It also presents a more interesting alternate Japan than just "lol we moved the capital to Osaka for this neat digital matte."

I'd also ditch Megaguirus. How the hell do the Meganula even fit into the film we got? They're an accidental byproduct of the use of the DT but that's never explained or even worried about and Godzilla kills Megaguirus before the real narrative can be wrapped up. It has nothing to do with Tsujimori getting revenge against Godzilla and it's only tangentially related to the Japanese government continuing their energy projects in secret. It makes no sense. Eliminate the other monsters and the flooded city subplot that adds up to a whole lot of nothing and use all that extra time to change Kudo from an annoying creep into a more complex character. There wouldn't be any little kid who floods Tokyo and then disappears until a confusing and pointless cliffhanger. Ultimately this is a film about Japan and Kiriko against Godzilla. There's no room for any of that other stuff.

To further set it apart from other Godzilla movies, title it "The Godzilla Eradication Operation."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

As for me wanting Titanosaurus to team up, well I did not want Titanosaurus to get killed, instead Titanosaurus should at least be able to survive, for Godzilla to spare him and leave him be.

As for my alterations for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, it is only if certain films where altered.

If there is a minor change, then have Godzillasaurus and the Dorats show up earlier in the film, and replace some human scenes with monster scenes.
Last edited by CommanderBowser on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I would make one minor change to the original 1954 Gojira. During the climax with the Oxygen Destroyer, show the part where Godzilla rises and then sinks back under the waves, but don't show the body disintegrating and disappearing. None of the characters actually sees what happens, so neither should the audience. This doesn't really change the ending of the film other then to leave it a little more open.

Irockz
Young Farmer

Post by Irockz »

Godzilla Raids Again - slow down the footage so the fights don't look ridiculous. Show Anguirus surviving.
Gotengo - Introduce a subplot where the Mu Empire can finally come out of the ocean, which the surface world wants to stop because it would throw off the tides completely. The final battle takes place in this risen Mu Empire, where Manda and Gotengo can smash things up.
Mothra vs Godzilla - Establish that Infant Island got messed up between Mothra and this. Establish firmly that rather than descendants, the larvae are reincarnations of her, and that she's still the same character.
Frankenstein vs Baragon - Baragon wins. Less focus on Frankenstein "growing up".
Ebirah - Change Godzilla to King Kong, as per the original script.
Destroy All Monsters - Mothra becomes her imago form at some point. The monsters who sat out the final battle have more of a presence.
Godzilla vs Megalon - Make Jet Jaguar closer to the original Red Arone design, and change the Seatopians into the Mu Empire from Gotengo.
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - Make small changes in the dialogue so that this and Tokyo SOS take place in the Showa universe fully.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: If You Could, What Godzilla Films Would You Alter/Improve? And How?

Post by GojiDog »

Spoiler:
Godzilla Raids Again = Have the final battle between Godzilla and Anguirus be the climax of the film, not the middle portion. I've never seen a Godzilla movie lose so much steam as this one did. Or better yet, have them fight in Osaka in the middle, with Anguirus surviving, but the humans do something that lures both monsters to the icy terrain and they both get trapped or maybe Godzilla wins the fight, kills Anguirus, and then gets trapped in the ice. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

King Kong Vs. Godzilla = Design a better Kong suit. That thing is tragic, lol. Its sad too because similar looking creatures, The Gargantuas, look great. I'm not sure why they couldn't get Kong right. Also, have a definitive, clear cut winner. Yes Kong "won" but it feels like a hollow victory at best, and opens up way too much for debate. I don't mind that Kong won, but if he's going to win, have him straight up win. Not this "they both fall in the water and he's the only one that comes up" stuff.

I'm also a little torn on the more comedic approach to this film. On one hand, it is legitimately funny. I love Mr. Tako as he's like a living cartoon character, and when the movie is trying to be funny, it usually succeeds. However, part of me wishes that the first ever on screen clash between cinema's two greatest monsters had a tone similar to the next entry, Mothra Vs. Godzilla.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster = Love this one, but it would have been nice to see Godzilla use his atomic breath on Ghidorah, and for that atomic breath to be animated in all the scenes he did use it.

Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster = Weird complaint for a Godzilla movie, but I actually feel like this movie would have been better if he wasn't in it. There is actually a good Ebirah stand alone monster movie in there, or maybe it would have worked better if Mothra was the main good monster or Kong was, as originally intended. A sea living lobster is more of a threat to Mothra and Kong since they don't naturally fit in the water. For Godzilla though, that's a walk in the park. A lot of the dramatic tension goes out the window once Godzilla shows up because nothing is really a threat to him. Not Ebirah, not the Red Bamboo, and certainly not that Giant Condor thing.

Also, this movie has probably the most rushed start to any entry in the series. How we go from a dance contest to two guys randomly helping a stranger getting on a boat, to a thief catching them on his boat and allowing them to stay (for some reason)? This has got to be the most rapid fire set up of any Godzilla film, and it really doesn't work.

Son of Godzilla = I actually like this film alot as it is the closest Godzilla has ever come to having a "Disney-like" charm and it demonstrates the surprising versatility of the franchise. However, they could have done a lot better with Minilla's design. Something that looks more like Godzilla would have been a good place to start from.

Destroy All Monsters = Small thing, but it would have been nice to have Baragon and Varan actually do something in the movie. Also, I know it wasn't possible giving the casting, but I would have liked to have seen The Gargantuas get in on the fun.

All Monsters Attack = Don't rely on stock footage. There is a solid idea for a weird Godzilla movie in there, sort of like Godzilla in Wonderland, and the social commentary on the latchkey kid (which was Honda's real focus for the film rather than the monster stuff) at least had a point. However, instead of just pulling footage from older entries, why not spend the little extra cash to create new monster footage, and go flipping weird with it. I mean, its a dream and we know from the start that it is a dream, so why not just go off the walls and be cooky and weird with it? Like have Godzilla spread sings and fly or have him fight an invisible monster or maybe even have each Godzilla fight tie into some lesson that Ichiro had to learn. That would have made it more interesting and relevant to the themes of the film rather than just having the kid watch a highlight reel and talk to Minilla.

Also, the ending could have been tweaked a bit. Many have interpreted the ending as Ichiro has now become a bully and will push around other kids, which I highly doubt was the intention given Honda's personality.

Godzilla Vs. Gigan = Lose the stock footage action sequences. It is amazing to me that this movie relied on it so much because the new footage they captured was pretty cool (despite the Godzilla suit falling apart). What you had was pretty good despite the restraints, so why plug in old footage to distract from it? Also, I would have liked the aliens to be more convincing in their façade. Openly talking about blowing up Monster Island probably isn't the best way to keep up the image of a friendly organization producing children's entertainment.

Godzilla Vs. Megalon = Jeez I wouldn't even know where to start with this one. Rushed production doesn't even begin to cover what happened to this film. I guess my number one fix would be Megalon's design. Something a bit more insect like and less humanoid with a bug head would have been nice. But given the nature of how the film was made, it was probably beyond saving anyway.

Godzilla (1984) = There are certain aspects of this film I loved, but I wish the characters had been a bit more interesting. Dr. Hayashida having his parents killed in the first Godzilla attack could have given him more of a Ahab like path of revenge, but they don't really do anything that it. Goro and Naoko have a falling out due to him selfishly using her to get his scoop, but then it never comes up again. Maybe some resolution or a moment where he redeems himself and she forgives him, but instead they have their falling out and then the movie continues as if the falling out never happened (this was cut from the US edit, and nothing of value was lost).

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah = I love this one and all, but couldn't they have written Emi Kano to be less of an idiot? The way the movie plays out, she is dumb as bricks and easily tricked, rather than the willing participant that had a change of heart that they were going for.

Godzilla Vs. Mothra (92) = I would have liked less reliance on Mothra's greatest hits type moments. Really didn't need the evil businessmen or Mothra's fairies being captured for profit again. Also, why have an environmental message about human's destroying the Earth, when the monsters in the film were uncovered by a meteor that humans had no control over? Kind of goes against the message there. Why not have Battra get awakened accidentally by humans going too far? Why not have Godzilla get awakened by drilling for oil or something?

Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla = Lose the Yakuza subplot and focus more on Yuki's Ahab like hunt for Godzilla. That fixes a lot of the issues with the film right there. Oh, and don't make Little Godzilla look so cute and dumb.

Godzilla Vs. Destroyah = I love this one and all, but part of me really wishes Godzilla had gotten that last kill on Destroyah. It is a small thing, sure, but it would have been nice for him to get one last big kill before his glorious death scene.

Godzilla (1998) = Give us a monster that fits the mold of Godzilla. No raptor babies, invulnerable to conventional weapons, and a bunch of little things like lets not have Godzilla be able to hide in New York City (one of the largest and most developed cities in the world) or be fixated on eating fish. Also, atomic breath, please and thank you. I'll accept camp and cheese all day, but if you can't give me the bare minimum of Godzilla requirements, then I'm not going to have a good time.

Godzilla 2000 = There is a serious logistical issue with the human drama right before the climax. I actually really like the cast of characters in this one with all their different relationships to one another. And at this late point in the film, we have all this tense stuff of Shinoda staying behind, Katagiri wanting to blow the building up while he is still in it, Io and Yuki rushing back to the building to try and save him...it is all very dramatic. But here's my question...why does he stay behind? I mean, yeah, they want to get information on what the UFO is after, but I don't know if it is worth blowing up for and that information does no good to anybody if you're dead. Also, the information they gather ultimately does nothing but provide exposition for what the UFO is doing. It doesn't help Godzilla beat the UFO or have any kind of role in the climax. So basically, everybody risked their lives for nothing. Maybe it would have worked better if the UFO was collecting Organizer/Regenerator G-1 samples from the building and Shinoda knew this and was trying to stop it and almost succeeded until Katagiri decided to blow up the building, do no harm to the UFO, and allow it to get the samples, furthering Katagiri's mistakes that lead to his decisions at the end of the film. I don't know.

Godzilla X Megaguirus = This story was begging for a moment where the G-Graspers group realizes they messed up and that Godzilla is the lesser of two evils in the situation they helped create. Megaguirus is their own fault, yet the swarm and the giant dragonfly amount to little more than a distraction from the story. The G-Graspers never take their focus off of Godzilla, which seems like a mistake given that the dragonflies interfere with their equipment and are flooding the city. It feels like Megaguirus exists entirely just so Godzilla has something to fight and doesn't leave much of a mark in the story beyond that. Also, lose the kid character. He was completely pointless.

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack = I know Ghidorah is a bigger name and all, but I just can't get behind him being the guardian monster in this one. Mothra absolutely makes sense, and I'd go with Baragon, Rodan, Anguirus, or almost any of the other Earth based monsters from the 50s and 60s. But Ghidorah's portrayal here just doesn't feel right. Also, part of me wishes that Tachibana had gotten the sacrificial death Serasawa style...and heck even as is, I'm still scratching my head of how he survived that situation at all to begin with.

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla = I would have liked more of a payoff to Mechagodzilla running wild and the Godzilla within being awakened. I guess you could say we got that in Tokyo SOS, but it always felt weird to me that it went nuts, shut down, and then they just threw it back out there against Godzilla without really addressing the problem. Also, all the moping about life and death seemed directionless and again, without too much of a payoff.

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS = Like I said for GVsM92, it would have been nice if they got away from the Mothra Greatest Hits display. Actually, given Mothra's objection to Mechagodzilla's creation, it would have been nice to see the two fight each other at first and get a nice three way battle going, only for Mothra and Mechagodzilla to team up at the end to take down Godzilla.

Godzilla: Final Wars = This movie's biggest failing is in its excess. They just did way too much, lol. Maybe cut down on the kung fu fighting, lose scenes that aren't needed ("We escaped somehow!"), lose the whole M Base explanation for things as that loses all sense if you think about it for more than a minute (why doesn't Godzilla have M Base but all the other monsters do? How did Gigan pass down M Base to humans?) lose the Minilla subplot, maybe not have Gigan die twice, and so on and so on. It is a lot of little things that if changed could have helped make the movie flow better.

Godzilla (2014) = As has been stated before, don't kill Bryan Cranston so early in the film. If anything, I feel like his son should have died and he be left to shoulder more guilt and then drive himself to get back to his son's family and take care of them and make up for his failings. While Godzilla's lack of screen time didn't bother, it did feel like something was lacking in the 2nd act. Maybe getting to see the airport fight would have helped out with this.

Shin Godzilla = If you're going to cast an actress as an English speaking American, maybe make sure she is fluent in the language. I guess this wasn't an issue for Japanese audiences, but it is very distracting to have a character presented as an English speaker and not believably convey that at all whatsoever. And while I loved the Shin Godzilla design, I would have liked for his arms to not be little twigs. Small thing, but I don't mind pointing it out.

Godzilla Anime Trilogy = 1) Take the best parts of each film and condense the whole story down into one movie. 2) Actually give us Mechagodzilla after all that build up 3) Give us more monsters in your "Planet of Monsters" concept.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters= It would have been nice for the Oxygen Destroyer to get some kind of explanation instead of just coming out of nowhere. Also, some of the one liners could have been dropped. And while the film didn't necessarily need it, the savage monster fan in me would have liked to have seen Godzilla Vs. Rodan at some point in the movie.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

- Add in King Kong at the end of Destroy All Monsters
- Have the final fight in Godzilla final wars be Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan vs. King Ghidorah, Gigan, and Mechagodzilla
- Go with the original idea of Manda and Varan in GMK
- Add in a second monster to Godzilla vs Megaguirus...Megaguirus is pretty boring on his own
- Have Bryan Cranston's character make it to San Francisco and sacrifice himself to save Ford from the MUTO in the third act.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ooh maybe have Joe sacrifice himself to destroy the nest.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The only things I would ever alter or change, were designs or scenes that got beyond the cutting room floor. It’s a shame how consistently we’ve seen Godzilla films lose some OOMPH, due to last minute cuts.

Case and point, the cut flowerfield scene from Godzilla vs. Biollante. Or how originally, when Biollante disappears, she lands a “killing blow” on Godzilla.

Same for how Destroyah was originally offed.

Both films suffer from having fantastic opponents that sort of just randomly jump to the side in the last few mins.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Godzilla Raids Again: Have the battle in Osaka be the true climax, Godzilla's final battle with the jets happens just 10 minutes later instead of half a movie later.

King Kong vs. Godzilla: Have Kong win the battle using his supposed "superior intellect" instead of zappy fingers.

Ghidorah: Have two Mothra Larva or explain what happened to the missing one. Also, have Godzilla and Rodan deal a more serious blow to Ghidorah that motivates him to leave Earth.

Monster Zero: Actually have Ghidorah attack New York onscreen, as is mentioned in the film.

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster: Make the original script with King Kong, who would fit much better in the movie, instead of Godzilla.

Destroy All Monsters: Have more scenes of the international kaiju rampage. Baragon ACTUALLY attacks Paris, Manda attacks London onscreen, etc. Also, cut out the unnecessary Moonlight SY3 vs. Fire Dragon dogfight and just end it with the Kilaak base being destroyed.

Godzilla's Revenge: Just don't make it.

Godzilla vs. Gigan: No monster talk please.

Godzilla vs. Megalon: I'm tempted to say just don't make it, but I do like Megalon...

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla: Have King Caesar awaken earlier in the film and fight a losing battle against Mechagodzilla instead of saving him for the climax.

Godzilla vs. Biollante: Change the ending so that Biollante single-handedly and unequivocally defeats Godzilla before leaving for space. Cut the stupid car chase and Godzilla reviving two minutes later.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2: Have Rodan survive to actually join Godzilla in battle against Super Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah: Have Godzilla be the one to kill Destoroyah, not Super X3.

Godzilla 1998: Just don't make it.

GMK: Make the original concept with Anguirus and Varan instead of Mothra and Ghidorah.

Tokyo SOS: Actually show an underwater battle between Godzilla and Kamoebas early in the film, before the carcass is found.

Final Wars: Replace King Caesar with Titanosaurus. Give Hedorah a better role and an actual fight with Godzilla. Cut out Minilla entirely.

Godzilla 2014: Actually show the battle between Godzilla and the male MUTO in Honolulu.

The Anime Trilogy: Have Godzilla actually fight Mechagodzilla in the second film instead of some stupid nanometal city. Incorporate a few other kaiju so there's actual action after the first movie. Maybe have there be a few Anguirus or Varan surviving on a Godzilla-dominated planet, being hunted by Godzilla Filius offshoots. Have Mothra actually come into play during the third film and help Godzilla defeat Ghidorah. Also, have Ghidorah fully appear and fight Godzilla, not some heads poking through black holes. I feel like the anime trilogy could have been so much better if a few changes like this were made.

King of the Monsters: Use actual Toho kaiju as the Titans awakened by Ghidorah instead of a Kumonga wannabe, a big mammoth and Torterra's ugly cousin. Just use Kumonga, Anguirus and maybe Titanosaurus or Baragon.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:King of the Monsters: Use actual Toho kaiju as the Titans awakened by Ghidorah instead of a Kumonga wannabe, a big mammoth and Torterra's ugly cousin. Just use Kumonga, Anguirus and maybe Titanosaurus or Baragon.
I appreciate it, however, Michael himself admitted he wanted to use other Toho Kaiju as well, as shown in various concept art. But what you need to remember is that each had its own price tag.

Would you rather have them spend a vast majority of their budget just for fanservice cameos, the same issue that plagued Final Wars and Destroy All Monsters?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Showa Era (16 Godzilla films):
-Frankenstein vs Godzilla in 1963, between King Kong vs Godzilla and Mothra vs Godzilla (with King Kong vs Frankenstein possibly being a film later on in the decade), keep the story treatment but rewrite to fit the timeline

-erase Godzilla’s Revenge out of existence and replace it with Batman vs Godzilla

-It possible, include Kong and Frankenstein in Destroy All Monsters

Heisei Era (8 films):
-Godzilla 1984 is retitled to “the Rebirth of Godzilla,” Steve Martin is part of the story, not just an addition by the American release

-Godzilla vs Biollante, retitled to “the Return of Godzilla,” is pushed forward to 1986

-Godzilla vs Godzilla in 1988, with Anguirus but without Little Godzilla or any story treads from the latter Heisei films

Godzilla vs Godzilla serves in this case as the “epic conclusion” to what would be the “1980s Toho Godzilla trilogy” that together would connect to the original 1954 film and delve into its nuclear allegories (with events like the Cold War and Chernobyl happening in the background throughout the trilogy). “Ghost Godzilla” wouldn’t be a ghost but rather akin to what GMK was; the original Godzilla reincarnated through the use of more nuclear weapons.

-the movies from 1991 to 1995 are pushed forward a year so they conclude in 1994, the 40th anniversary of the franchise

Jan de Bont’s Godzilla
-actually released in its original 1996 release date with potential sequels (if successful at the box office) in 1999 and 2002

Millenium Era (6 films)
-GMK; like a lot of people suggest, replace Ghidorah and Mothra with Varan and Anguirus (though I’d replace Anguirus with a much lesser known monster like Kamoebas or Manda, that way all 3 guardians are obscure kaiju finally being in the spotlight)

By 2014, you’d have 30 Toho Godzilla films with 1-3 Tristar Godzilla films. With the inclusion of Batman vs Godzilla, Frankenstein vs Godzilla, and a potential Tristar trilogy, you’d have the franchise be much more successful and recognizable worldwide.
Last edited by JGAR on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ebirah: Horror of the Deep: Just keep Kong in the film,simple as that.
All Monsters Attack: Erase it from existence.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla: Keep King Caesar's original name: King Vulcan,and bring back the horns on his head. Include some extra scenes with Anguirus healing from his broken jaw and have him in the final battle.

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: Change Ghidorah's origins so he's an alien again and remove the time travel plot. Have Ghidorah beat Godzilla in their first fight,and the final fight is where Godzilla blows off the middle head and throws him into the sea,remove Mecha King Ghidorah.

Godzilla vs. Mothra: Just have Mothra and Battra in the film and name it Mothra vs. Battra. Godzilla just had no place in this movie.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2: Replace Mechagodzilla with Mecha-King Ghidorah.

Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla: Replace M.O.G.E.U.R.A with Mechagodzilla,slim down the SpaceGodzilla suit so he can actually move.

Godzilla 98: Well i would say keep the original Jay De Bont script but i love Zilla too much../

GMK: Replace Ghidorah and Mothra with Varan and Manda. Keep Baragon alive (by keeping a piece of the original script and have him be revived by lighting) and have him join his fellow guardians for the final battle. When Varan gets powered up by Manda's death,actually have him put up a fight instead of going out like a weakling. When Godzilla's just about to kill him,that's when the drill goes into his body,he tries to fire his atomic breath but ends up killing himself. At the end of the fil,we see Varan go back into his cavern to rest.

Final Wars: Fix King Vulcan's design,fix Godzilla's face,have Anguirus's face look more like the Showa one. Give Hedorah a more promenant role (seriously a monster cool as him should not be reduced to a cameo!)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

It's more of a title change, but change the Title of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 into Godzilla vs Rodan vs MechaGodzilla, to avoid confusion with the Showa version