Kaiju Headcanon Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Like Ford was any better just saying.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm just expressing my frustration at people always hailing Joe as the end all be all of good characters. Ford sucked, he needs a rewrite, but making everything focus on Joe would not make it better. He had nothing else to contribute to the story.

Sorry if I kinda exploded, I'm just so sick of all the "Joe is best character in whole franchise" poop
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Like Ford was any better just saying.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm just expressing my frustration at people always hailing Joe as the end all be all of good characters. Ford sucked, he needs a rewrite, but making everything focus on Joe would not make it better. He had nothing else to contribute to the story.

Sorry if I kinda exploded, I'm just so sick of all the "Joe is best character in whole franchise" poop


Right. Joe was a good character, Ford was a mediocre one. Stretch Joe's storyline beyond its natural end point, and he stops being a good character, so the movie becomes worse.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:That's not what I'm saying, I'm just expressing my frustration at people always hailing Joe as the end all be all of good characters. Ford sucked, he needs a rewrite, but making everything focus on Joe would not make it better. He had nothing else to contribute to the story.

Sorry if I kinda exploded, I'm just so sick of all the "Joe is best character in whole franchise" poop

Ah alright then. I admit now that I think about it. I'm probably being too harsh on the character. Besides it's not like it was the actors fault. He was simply just following the script written for him.

Apologies for going pretty overboard. I admit it was childish and immature of me.

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Dr. Professor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 am

I quite like Ford. I mean he wasn't anything special, but he was fine. I don't see why he and his family need to be dead. I mean skreeonk, it's not like they ruined the franchise or something they were just a bit uninteresting. Hell I'd take them over the guy from MechaGodzilla '93 who wants to skreeonk pteranodons any day.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Zarm » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:49 am

Here, here!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Dr. Professor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:49 am

Dr. Professor wrote:I quite like Ford. I mean he wasn't anything special, but he was fine. I don't see why he and his family need to be dead. I mean skreeonk, it's not like they ruined the franchise or something they were just a bit uninteresting. Hell I'd take them over the guy from MechaGodzilla '93 who wants to skreeonk pteranodons any day.


Sorry, I didn't see the post above mine by the time this was posted.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Maritonic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Besides it's not like it was the actors fault.


See this is where you and I disagree. I don't have a problem with the character, because to me the character is a generic monster movie character. So I'm fine with him. Aaron Taylor Johnson, on the other hand? Good LORD. Easily some of the worst acting this franchise has seen. The only film I've seen him in that I thought he was decent is Nocturnal Animals.

That's just me. I think that's the reason he's a "husk of a character". His portrayal.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:12 am

Maritonic wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Besides it's not like it was the actors fault.


See this is where you and I disagree. I don't have a problem with the character, because to me the character is a generic monster movie character. So I'm fine with him. Aaron Taylor Johnson, on the other hand? Good LORD. Easily some of the worst acting this franchise has seen. The only film I've seen him in that I thought he was decent is Nocturnal Animals.

That's just me. I think that's the reason he's a "husk of a character". His portrayal.


I think there are multiple factors at play there. Ultimately, I put the responsibility on Edwards to guide the actors and give them context.

Edwards is a good visual stylist, but a director's first responsibility on set is to the actors.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Maritonic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Besides it's not like it was the actors fault.


See this is where you and I disagree. I don't have a problem with the character, because to me the character is a generic monster movie character. So I'm fine with him. Aaron Taylor Johnson, on the other hand? Good LORD. Easily some of the worst acting this franchise has seen. The only film I've seen him in that I thought he was decent is Nocturnal Animals.

That's just me. I think that's the reason he's a "husk of a character". His portrayal.


I think there are multiple factors at play there. Ultimately, I put the responsibility on Edwards to guide the actors and give them context.

Edwards is a good visual stylist, but a director's first responsibility on set is to the actors.


Considering everything I've seen the man act in, he's been a terrible actor, I place this on his acting skills (or lack thereof).
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 am

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
See this is where you and I disagree. I don't have a problem with the character, because to me the character is a generic monster movie character. So I'm fine with him. Aaron Taylor Johnson, on the other hand? Good LORD. Easily some of the worst acting this franchise has seen. The only film I've seen him in that I thought he was decent is Nocturnal Animals.

That's just me. I think that's the reason he's a "husk of a character". His portrayal.


I think there are multiple factors at play there. Ultimately, I put the responsibility on Edwards to guide the actors and give them context.

Edwards is a good visual stylist, but a director's first responsibility on set is to the actors.


Considering everything I've seen the man act in, he's been a terrible actor, I place this on his acting skills (or lack thereof).


Fair point; but I could make the same point about the consistently poor acting in Edwards' films.

Again, I see multiple factors here: writer, director and actor all shoulder some of the blame. But on set, an actor has to be able to trust the director that everything is working, which is why I say that, regardless of where the individual weak links are, the ultimate responsibility is on Edwards.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:39 am

Maritonic wrote:See this is where you and I disagree. I don't have a problem with the character, because to me the character is a generic monster movie character. So I'm fine with him. Aaron Taylor Johnson, on the other hand? Good LORD. Easily some of the worst acting this franchise has seen. The only film I've seen him in that I thought he was decent is Nocturnal Animals.

That's just me. I think that's the reason he's a "husk of a character". His portrayal.

Oh I agree about his acting but what I'm saying is that I went a little overboard with his character which I admit was very childish and immature of me.

User avatar
ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Location: My parents basement

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby ManuJM1997 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm

This is not a headcanon now
But I always thought Showa Gigan WAS a Psycho for Hire (check TV Tropes for more info, plz I can't escape that anymore)
I don't remember if in the movie it's mentioned that he's a space dinosaur (I admittedly haven't rewatched the Showa era in 84 years) but if it's mentioned, then I probably turned it off in favour of my headcanon
...Which is what I also do everytime I use Gigan in Fanfiction.
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

User avatar
Hikari
Samurai
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:17 pm
Location: Nebula M78

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Hikari » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Godzilla Unleashed- Destroying the Mothership as an alien destroys your alliance points with the Alien Faction, however mission bios falsely do not give your alien credit instead if I recall it claims Anguirus brought down the Mothership. Headcanon is that the Vortakk are just so embarrassed about this, they have spread false information to human sources in order to cover up the truth that one of their own betrayed them.
May or may have not just came here for the Ultra-Thread.
Image

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Though never shown or revealed in the Showa and Millennium movies (Not Toto who is his son). Gamera has the same origin as the Heisei incarnation.

Edit: Showa headcanon debunked as I think it was mentioned in the film he's a prehistoric species of turtle.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2054
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Technically Showa Gamera is a member of a gigantic turtle species that lived on the Atlantis continent. I think Atlantis is only mentioned in the Japanese version; that aspect is ignored in both English dubs.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Terasawa wrote:Technically Showa Gamera is a member of a gigantic turtle species that lived on the Atlantis continent. I think Atlantis is only mentioned in the Japanese version; that aspect is ignored in both English dubs.

Cue return of Showa headcanon. :huge:

Makes IMO the Big Four who should be the faces, icons and symbols of the kaiju genre rather then just Godzilla better then ever.

Godzilla (Surviving dinosaur mutated by nuclear radiation)
King Kong (Giant ape from an island of a bygone age)
Gamera (Creation of an ancient civilization)
Ultraman (Alien hero from another planet)

Which helps makes all of them stand out from each other.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2054
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:16 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Technically Showa Gamera is a member of a gigantic turtle species that lived on the Atlantis continent. I think Atlantis is only mentioned in the Japanese version; that aspect is ignored in both English dubs.

Cue return of Showa headcanon. :huge:

Makes IMO the Big Four who should be the faces, icons and symbols of the kaiju genre rather then just Godzilla better then ever.

Godzilla (Surviving dinosaur mutated by nuclear radiation)
King Kong (Giant ape from an island of a bygone age)
Gamera (Creation of an ancient civilization)
Ultraman (Alien hero from another planet)

Which helps makes all of them stand out from each other.


I'm on board for 3/4 of those: I'm not gonna get into the "what is a kaiju" debate again but Kong doesn't cut it for me, though I can see why some people would include Kong there. If you want to extend it to all tokusatsu Kamen Rider definitely belongs. Super Sentai does too but limiting that to one character is basically impossible.

I have a display of Godzilla '68, Gamera '65, and the classic C-Type Ultraman (the only Bandais I own) on the bookcase which houses most of my movies as a sort of half-assed tribute to the kaiju genre. I've been putting off getting a Kamen Rider 1 figure to go with them to make a Mount Rushmore of Vintage Tokusatsu.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
CommanderBowser
Yojimbo
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby CommanderBowser » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:22 am

I have a bit of some headcanons of Final Wars.

If you know why Gigan got defeated by Godzilla quickly, well it's because of a few factors.
One: Godzilla was forced into a do or die situation. Godzilla was wanting a normal battle with Gigan, but he sends out cables and prevents Godzilla from using his fists. If he didn't fire his atomic ray at Gigan, he would have killed him or injuring him, and since their in Antarctica, a painfully injury and cold weather is not a good combo. If Gigan won, the Xillens would be victorious, now think about that for a while.
Two: Gigan has not been upgraded for 12000 years, hence why he later got upgraded with Chainsaws, disks and the ability to survive having his head cut off.
Three: Gigan may have fought one or two monsters offscreen (Baragon and possibly Battra), and while Gigan won against those two, he has gotten weakened by the two enough for Godzilla to finish the job.

It could also be a combination off all 3 factors.

Here is another one: Godzilla did not his atomic ray against Anguirus, Rodan and King Ceasar, not only because they are his friends, but also because his atomic ray would not do well in this scenario. The Atomic Ray will do damage to Anguirus, but his fast speed and tough back would prove to be difficult. Rodan would just laugh if Godzilla used his atomic ray at him (or her), just like the Showa version. And if Godzilla used his atomic ray at King Ceasar, he would just reflect it back at him, using his reflective eyes. This ability was not shown, for this reason. Godzilla choose not to use his atomic ray in this fight, and that's his choice.
Last edited by CommanderBowser on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:40 am

I've kind of started classifiying classic kaiju under the Monsterverse terms, or at least how I understand them.

M.U.T.O: an abnormally large organism with strange biological traits, but in all, a simple organism.

Examples: Ebriah, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Zilla, Rhedosaurus, Skullcrawlers

Titans: M.U.T.Os with more extreme, almost god like abilities

Examples: Godzilla, Mothra, Battra, Biollante, Kong, Manda.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5267
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:45 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I've kind of started classifiying classic kaiju under the Monsterverse terms, or at least how I understand them.

M.U.T.O: an abnormally large organism with strange biological traits, but in all, a simple organism.

Examples: Ebriah, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Zilla, Rhedosaurus, Skullcrawlers

Titans: M.U.T.Os with more extreme, almost god like abilities

Examples: Godzilla, Mothra, Battra, Biollante, Kong, Manda.

I agree with this, but what godlike abilities does Kong have? If anything he fits better into the MUTO category imo

Added in 4 minutes 34 seconds:
CommanderBowser wrote:I have a bit of some headcanons of Final Wars.

If you know why Gigan got defeated by Godzilla quickly, well it's because of a few factors.
One: Godzilla was forced into a do or die situation. If he didn't fire his atomic ray at Gigan, he would have killed him or injuring him, and since their in Antarctica, a painfully injury and cold weather is not a good combo. If Gigan won, the Xillens would be victorious, now think about that for a while.
Two: Gigan has not been upgraded for 12000 years, hence why he later got upgraded with Chainsaws, disks and the ability to survive having his head cut off.
Three: Gigan may have fought one or two monsters offscreen (Baragon and possibly Battra), and while Gigan won against those two, he has gotten weakened by the two enough for Godzilla to finish the job.

Godzilla was going to kill Gigan either way though, he wasn't forced, he has no sympathy lmao. Especially for Gigan. He offed him quick because Gigan hit him with a ranged attack that Godzilla easily handled with a headshot.

Once Gigan was thawed he went after Godzilla, after that he was summoned back like a giant Pokemon until the final battle, so there was no time for him to randomly kill 2 kaiju.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests