Kaiju Headcanon Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Post by Chrispy_G »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs Biollante(Dubbed)
Godzilla 2000

Form a REALLY cool "English Version Timeline" that all flows quite well together.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Chrispy_G wrote:Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla 2000

Form a REALLY cool "English Version Timeline" that all flows quite well together.
I assume the rest of the Heisei era does not take place and that Heisei Godzilla is Godzilla 2000. :D
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Godzilla 1985
Godzilla 2000

Still a bit inconsistent since the Heisei Godzilla is 260 feet (80 metres), while the G2K Godzilla is 180 feet (55 metres). Just my thought.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla 2000

Still a bit inconsistent since the Heisei Godzilla is 260 feet (80 metres), while the G2K Godzilla is 180 feet (55 metres). Just my thought.
Yep, but for me, Godzilla's size can be pretty fluid. If increased radiation exposure can make him grow, perhaps dormancy and 'starving' of radiation can make him smaller.

His changing appearance across the Showa era
The growth in size in the Heisei era
The highly regenerative aspect detailed in films like G2K
Shin Godzilla showing outright mutation/evolution to different environments
King of the Monsters Director Michael Dougherty implying he may look different in KOTM because he is "Evolution incarnate"

All makes me feel perfectly comfortable that a decade of dormancy/side effects of the Cadmium in GvsB could easily have lead to Godzilla's heavy change from G89 to G2K. Wouldn't be any more egregious than any of the fast-and-loose continuity of the Showa series.

Plus the whole thing was sort of a spiritual mythology of US versions that stitch together well...Biollante is a bit of a cheat because it isn't really a US version, just a Dub....but you need to detail Godzilla's escape from the volcano.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

[quote="Chrispy_G"Yep, but for me, Godzilla's size can be pretty fluid. If increased radiation exposure can make him grow, perhaps dormancy and 'starving' of radiation can make him smaller.

His changing appearance across the Showa era
The growth in size in the Heisei era
The highly regenerative aspect detailed in films like G2K
Shin Godzilla showing outright mutation/evolution to different environments
King of the Monsters Director Michael Dougherty implying he may look different in KOTM because he is "Evolution incarnate"

All makes me feel perfectly comfortable that a decade of dormancy/side effects of the Cadmium in GvsB could easily have lead to Godzilla's heavy change from G89 to G2K. Wouldn't be any more egregious than any of the fast-and-loose continuity of the Showa series.

Plus the whole thing was sort of a spiritual mythology of US versions that stitch together well...Biollante is a bit of a cheat because it isn't really a US version, just a Dub....but you need to detail Godzilla's escape from the volcano.[/quote]
Okay, fair enough.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I know a popular fan theory/talking point is that Final Wars feels very much like a modern version of a late Showa film, with some even bringing up the idea of it working as a continuation from the Showa era. The big hiccup is that in Final War, the aliens are apparently the first ever visitation to Earth by an Alien race...which wouldn't be consistent with the entire Showa series.

But picture this selective timeline
Godzilla
Godzilla Raids Again
King Kong vs Godzilla
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ebirah
Son of Godzilla
All Monsters Attack
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla: Final Wars

That one kinda works in a fun way. Those films as a history would provide a lot of context for what is seen and goes down in Final Wars

I also haven't tried it yet, but I have a theory that you MIGHT be able to jump straight from Biollante to Destroyah without much issue.

The BIG factor being Junior's sudden existence....but I'm wondering if enough context is provided in the film and the dialogue where a new viewer wouldn't be totally caught off guard. Where the concept of Junior feels somewhat properly introduced in dialogue and could be inferred as simply another development that happened in the 7 year gap between Biollante and Destroyah. After all, Godzilla's burning form kinda sorta is just there with no real background to it established. We don't see him become burning Godzilla, we don't see where Junior necessarily came from.

That way you get a cool little 'Super X' trilogy of Return, Biollante, and Destroyah with 5-6 years between films....and one that is consistently steeped more in slightly grounded sci-fi as opposed to the more ridiculous time travel/magic fairies/giant robots/alien monsters aspect of the 91-94 films.

Would be interesting.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla 2000

King Kong changes sizes repeatedly over the course of the original King Kong, but that doesn't mean that scenes within the movie don't exist within the same canon as each other. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote:King Kong changes sizes repeatedly over the course of the original King Kong, but that doesn't mean that scenes within the movie don't exist within the same canon as each other. ;)
Odd comparison. :eh:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
eabaker wrote:King Kong changes sizes repeatedly over the course of the original King Kong, but that doesn't mean that scenes within the movie don't exist within the same canon as each other. ;)
Odd comparison. :eh:
One might almost think that I didn't intend it to be taken completely seriously. *gasp!*
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Spacegodzilla had some few remaining cells of Erika within.
I know this is an older post I'm quoting, but THIS is an interesting concept that could have added some flavor to Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla. Granted, they never explicitly discover if Spacegodzilla's origins are Biollante or Mothra, just that it's one of the two. But WOW this could have added a VERY cool element to it.

Edit: I have to thank you for sharing this, this will legitimately change how I watch Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla now.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote:One might almost think that I didn't intend it to be taken completely seriously. *gasp!*
I didn't intend to take it seriously to begin with either. Though at least Kong didn't shrink.
Maritonic wrote:I know this is an older post I'm quoting, but THIS is an interesting concept that could have added some flavor to Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla. Granted, they never explicitly discover if Spacegodzilla's origins are Biollante or Mothra, just that it's one of the two. But WOW this could have added a VERY cool element to it.

Edit: I have to thank you for sharing this, this will legitimately change how I watch Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla now.
Cheers mate. I even made a one-shot poem about it on Fanfiction.net

Nairbzilla
Samurai

Post by Nairbzilla »

I like to think of Godzilla vs. Hedorah as Ichiro (from All Monsters Attack)'s nightmare. This explains why that movie is so freaking weird.
"A fandom divided against itself cannot stand."

~Abraham Lincoln, if he was a Godzilla fan

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nairbzilla wrote:I like to think of Godzilla vs. Hedorah as Ichiro (from All Monsters Attack)'s nightmare. This explains why that movie is so freaking weird.
I wrote a post a few years ago looking at whether Godzilla vs. Hedorah could be read as being wholly or partially Ken Yanno's dreams/fantasies. Here's what I said at the time:

One thing I've been thinking about lately is the degree to which the emphasis on hallucinations and dreams, Ken's occasional preternatural foreknowledge of Godzilla's actions, and the fact that Ken plays with toys of Godzilla and other monsters (including King Ghidorah, truly an odd and terrifying choice for a kids' toy in a diegetic realm in which the monster actually exists) - particularly when you consider that this follows on the completely fantasy-driven AMA - suggest that the events played out may to some degree represent Ken's fantasies of a world saved by a fantastic hero. Is it possible that Godzilla never really comes? Maybe even that there isn't such a thing as Hedorah, but rather it is all a child forming the best explanation he can think of for - and dreaming of a solution to - the real horrors of his age which are beyond easy solutions? A child who sees his nation's (heck, his world's) leadership failing to adequately address problems which threaten to destroy their world, and a rebellious youth culture more self-destructive and pathetic than genuinely revolutionary, and who hopes for a better class of hero to come along, someone he can truly respect and admire?

Ken is so small, but those bigger than himself - even his father, the most reasonable, useful adult in the movie - are totally ineffective against a threat bigger than themselves (like environmental destruction). Thus, Ken imagines that threat personified - and its personification must be gigantic - and so he needs to turn to his imaginary gigantic hero, the only force he knows of that is not too effete in the face of this great waking nightmare.

Maybe clever little Ken is only able to be so in control, listened to so much by a world that generally turns a deaf ear to those most in need, because the events as we see them play out are not the truth of his world, but the preferable sequence of events which he experiences in his dreams, his fantasies, or even his delusions.

Ultimately, I don't think an interpretation of the movie in which Godzilla and Hedorah are pure fantasy would hold up under scrutiny, but it doesn't need to. The seed is planted by little moments, and the comment is there: it is childish to hope for a lone savior to step in and save us from our own mistakes. The solutions must come from us, and we are not doing a very good job. This will not stand, ya know.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Nairbzilla wrote:I like to think of Godzilla vs. Hedorah as Ichiro (from All Monsters Attack)'s nightmare. This explains why that movie is so freaking weird.
Never considered this, but definitely explains some of the weirdness. I used to really dislike Godzilla vs. Hedorah, but I've come to appreciate it's odd juxtaposition of camp and bleak, depressing, dark subject matter. Certainly one of a kind in the franchise.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Puts some perspective on Godzilla vs Hedorah being a sequel to AMA while Godzilla vs Gigan was more of a throwback to DAM.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think it is interesting that AMA has a child's perspective, with a child being a key factor in Hedorah and Megalon, and one of the main characters of Gigan being an aspiring writer of children's comics.

It's a little 4 film section that has these strong cases as being 'fantasies' or 'movies within movies'....Imagine a post-DAM universe, where Godzilla and company were perceived as the saviors of humanity. Kids playing with Godzilla toys would be a 'thing', and kids would almost certainly only perceive Godzilla as a straight up hero, not having proper context for his previous disastrous rampages. Remember, if DAM occurred in 1999...kids growing up in the fictional future of THAT film would be long, long removed from the attacks of the 50s and 60s.

Those 4 are also the silliest batch, almost a caricature of the 'real' events we've seen in earlier films...they also feature the most rampant use of stock footage/strange continuity inconsistencies.

Interesting way of thinking about it...so many fans like to think of Godzilla's Revenge as legitimately 'out of continuity' with the rest of the Showa series, taking place in another timeline....would be interesting to see that extended to a few of those other films.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzilla in his past history had encountered Skull Crawlers. In fact he's the reason why Skull Crawlers are no longer found throughout the world other then Skull Island as they all moved underground due to Godzilla who is keeping them in check across the world like how Kong is with them on Skull Island.

Skull Crawlers back then when living on the surface when giant monsters ruled the earth were also prey to the M.U.T.O.'s.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Zilla = female

The thing fucking laid eggs: I don't understand why people keep calling it a male. I know they refer to it as a "he" in the movie, but the characters had zero way of knowing that. And the fact that they keep calling it "he" after it was proven to be pregnant sounds more like lazy screenwriting
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ryguy wrote:Zilla = female

The thing skreeonking laid eggs: I don't understand why people keep calling it a male. I know they refer to it as a "he" in the movie, but the characters had zero way of knowing that. And the fact that they keep calling it "he" after it was proven to be pregnant sounds more like lazy screenwriting
Just because it’s lazy screenwriting doesn’t mean it’s not canon to the movie - Nick confirms to audrey when she questions it, ‘he’.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Oh wait, I guess I might've overlooked the fact that he had DNA samples, lmao. I totally forgot that he actually did have a way of knowing the monster's gender

My bad, I actually didn't realize that until now
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"