Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
darthzilla99
Interpol Agent

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby darthzilla99 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:23 pm

I don't find Yuri or General Tachibana as engaging as people claim them to be in GMK. General Tachibana is just another generic military general in the Godzilla franchise and his background is not interesting for me. He's just as bland as a post biollante heisei character (Mark Russell is a far more interesting character and I find Mark's forgiveness arc towards Godzilla is far more engaging than Tachibana witnessing Godzilla's attack as a kid). Yuri, even in the Japanese version, is extremely cringey for me and I will take the bad dialogue of KOTM over her any day of the week.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your not coming off as cocky. You come off as an idiot" by SBK.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
EDF Instructor

Postby 2009MECHAGODZILLA » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:54 pm

I want a Godzilla movie scored by Grant MacDonald
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845

"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician

Postby Desghidorah » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:07 pm

Sometimes the fandom is way too obsessed with being serious about their being a 'definitive Godzilla' or 'correct' way to go about making content for it. If something doesn't float your boat, that's fine. But claiming someone is wrong for not liking a movie you like, making art you don't like, or that they are 'insulting' you or the franchise for doing so is really iffy.

DirektorSplennic
G-Grasper

Postby DirektorSplennic » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:26 pm

Desghidorah wrote:Sometimes the fandom is way too obsessed with being serious about their being a 'definitive Godzilla' or 'correct' way to go about making content for it. If something doesn't float your boat, that's fine. But claiming someone is wrong for not liking a movie you like, making art you don't like, or that they are 'insulting' you or the franchise for doing so is really iffy.

It's really ridiculous when it comes to figures. I saw some guy in a comment section get blasted because he was happy with his SHMA Shin Godzilla, which generally was a poorly recieved figure. Basically people were saying how he shouldn't like it because paint sucks, overpriced, etc etc. As a proud owner of the SHMA Shin it made me sad because at the end of the day who gives a poop what you collect. It's your collection.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.

eabaker

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:16 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I haven't seen one person (who's not a G-fan) call a tokusatsu movie "so bad it's good".

I have seen/heard this many, many times in my life. Most recently about three weeks ago.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am

eabaker wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I haven't seen one person (who's not a G-fan) call a tokusatsu movie "so bad it's good".

I have seen/heard this many, many times in my life. Most recently about three weeks ago.

NO! It's only racists that don't like these movies.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

Gigantis
Xilien Halfling

Postby Gigantis » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:28 am

I've heard tons of non G-Fans call Godzilla films so bad they're good.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 am

Most fans are too quick to wholly dismiss an edited version of a Godzilla/kaiju film when, in fact, a lot of them make wise editorial choices that tighten up and in some cases improve upon already very imperfect films.

Resized Image

DirektorSplennic
G-Grasper

Postby DirektorSplennic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 am

Terasawa wrote:Most fans are too quick to wholly dismiss an edited version of a Godzilla/kaiju film when, in fact, a lot of them make wise editorial choices that tighten up and in some cases improve upon already very imperfect films.

I've come to really accept some edited versions since it adds a little bit of trivia to Toho's history. Talking about different versions of one film is a fun conversation topic.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.

godjacob
G-Force Personnel

Postby godjacob » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:31 pm

Mothra Leo being a male and having the bullshit abilities it does was owed some type of explanation rather than literally nothing given it seems to break its own species conventions to an absurd degree.

Same applies to Zilla Jr. being born conveniently infertile.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:57 pm

godjacob wrote:Mothra Leo being a male and having the bullshit abilities it does was owed some type of explanation rather than literally nothing given it seems to break its own species conventions to an absurd degree.

1. It did get an explanation. Moll suggests that he drew from the lifeforce of the forest where he was cocooned. We can reason this is different than his mother and can account for his different abilities. (This seems to be the first movie’s implication.)

2. Unless you know the Japanese language, the only ways to watch the Mothra trilogy are dubbed or dubtitled. For all we know, Leo could have been identified as a male in dialogue which wasn’t accurately translated in the dubbing script.

Anyway, I don’t think the audience is “owed an explanation” that Leo is male. His gender has no important bearing on the three films. We only know his gender, presumably, from supplemental material, which is never going to be as important as anything the film tells us. I don’t get why this particularly should be such a big deal. :?

3. “break its own species conventions”. The only other member of its species we see is the female adult that was already very old and frail in ROM. As noted, Leo’s metamorphosis was suggested to be different than his mother’s. The other Toho Mothras don’t apply because the Mothra trilogy is its own self-contained mini universe.

Added in 15 minutes 45 seconds:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Most fans are too quick to wholly dismiss an edited version of a Godzilla/kaiju film when, in fact, a lot of them make wise editorial choices that tighten up and in some cases improve upon already very imperfect films.

I've come to really accept some edited versions since it adds a little bit of trivia to Toho's history. Talking about different versions of one film is a fun conversation topic.

For me it’s more than just trivial reasons. There’s a lot of work that went into Americanizing these movies. For example, it’s more than just dubbing and editing. The reasons for why dialogue was dubbed the way it was, or why editorial changes were made: these are almost always overlooked or disingenuously disregarded. Changes weren’t made just for the sake of making changes. I just wish more fans were open to examining and analyzing why the American crews made the changes they did.

There’s also a bias towards the Japanese versions. I think this is an extension of the way some fans choose to view derivative (i.e. Americanized) versions as inherently inferior in every regard.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Resized Image

VoyagerGoji
Gotengo Officer

Postby VoyagerGoji » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Over time I’m starting to dislike LP’s depiction of King Ghidorah. I don’t mind Rodan’s new Gigan-ish personality but I wish he was Godzilla sized like in the Showa Era and Final Wars.
TK's Resident Australian.

Cryptid_Liker
EDF Instructor

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:22 pm

VoyagerGoji wrote:Over time I’m starting to dislike LP’s depiction of King Ghidorah. I don’t mind Rodan’s new Gigan-ish personality but I wish he was Godzilla sized like in the Showa Era and Final Wars.

If you're talking about Ghidorah's design, I 100% agree with the entirety of this post.

godjacob
G-Force Personnel

Postby godjacob » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:30 pm

VoyagerGoji wrote:Over time I’m starting to dislike LP’s depiction of King Ghidorah. I don’t mind Rodan’s new Gigan-ish personality but I wish he was Godzilla sized like in the Showa Era and Final Wars.

Story/character wise or design wise? Cause even if I like it I can see the argument about not being a fan of Ghidorah's look just curious.

VoyagerGoji
Gotengo Officer

Postby VoyagerGoji » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:

If you're talking about Ghidorah's design, I 100% agree with the entirety of this post.

Yes, I dislike KG’s design.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
godjacob wrote:

Story/character wise or design wise? Cause even if I like it I can see the argument about not being a fan of Ghidorah's look just curious.

Design wise, also I’m not a fan of the heads having different personality. I like it when they have a hive-mind and if one head does something, the others copy.
TK's Resident Australian.

godjacob
G-Force Personnel

Postby godjacob » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 pm

VoyagerGoji wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:

Yes, I dislike KG’s design.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
godjacob wrote:

Design wise, also I’m not a fan of the heads having different personality. I like it when they have a hive-mind and if one head does something, the others copy.

I felt it did more to give this Ghidorah character compared to most versions personally. Plus adds to the whole this is some unnatural, unearthly creature which served the character well.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 pm

A lot like a lot of fan complaints for Showa Ghidorah, for being built up as a great world ending threat I seriously don't think MonsterVerse Ghidorah did enough to prove it. The series as a whole has a horrible case of Tell, Don't Show.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HedorahIsBestGirl
JXSDF Technician

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Sadly, Anime Ghidorah actually got the best build-up of any incarnation of the character. Starting with a very ominous reference in COTEOBFJGJFJDJGHGDKMSNFJBVB* and then having him appear as a shadow that literally devoured all of his sacrificial victims. Genuinely gave me the chills...

And then he turned up as three big golden noodles coming out of subspace and had the world's lamest "fight" with Godzilla. What a goddamn letdown. If Death God Ghidorah had lived up to his build-up, he could have been the best incarnation of the character and the saving grace of the whole anime trilogy.

In terms of execution, I maintain that MV Ghidorah is the best. He feels like a more legitimate threat than Showa Ghidorah ever did. Hedorah and Mechagodzilla were both built up much more effectively as menacing villains in the Showa series than Ghidorah was.

*I hate this stupid overlong abbreviation, can we just call the movie "Battle City" from now on?
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sea has cobalt, it's full of mercury. Too many fumes in our oxygen!
All the smog now is choking you and me. Good Lord, where is it gonna end?
Got to get it back, someday. Got to get it back, and soon now.
For tomorrow maybe you and me...
We're movin', we're movin', movin' to the Moon now!
It's up to us to make a choice.
We know what it's worth to save the Earth!

Gigantis
Xilien Halfling

Postby Gigantis » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:53 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I hate this stupid overlong abbreviation, can we just call the movie "Battle City" from now on?

Can we just change the title of the second anime film in general? Like who thought that long title was a good idea?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
JXSDF Technician

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Gigantis wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I hate this stupid overlong abbreviation, can we just call the movie "Battle City" from now on?

Can we just change the title of the second anime film in general? Like who thought that long title was a good idea?

I know it's like...

Planet of the Monsters

CITY ON THE EDGE OF BATTLE

The Planet Eater

Huh, which one of these titles sticks out like a sore thumb? And "on the edge of battle" sounds like some cringey Engrish poop. Why didn't they just call it "City of Nanometal" or "Mechagodzilla City" or something?
The sea has cobalt, it's full of mercury. Too many fumes in our oxygen!
All the smog now is choking you and me. Good Lord, where is it gonna end?
Got to get it back, someday. Got to get it back, and soon now.
For tomorrow maybe you and me...
We're movin', we're movin', movin' to the Moon now!
It's up to us to make a choice.
We know what it's worth to save the Earth!

Return to “General Toho Films”