Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 pm

When it comes to Gojirin, I find the direct translation (Godzillin) better than the other translation (Godzilly).

As for the previous debate, I haven't seen any of the Minilla-focused movies yet but from what I know, he's okay.

GodzillaFreak99
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby GodzillaFreak99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 am

I think the Final Wars Rodan design is better then both the Showa and Heisei designs.
"You can only be as strong as you want to be. I didn’t get this way overnight. It took a very long time for me to be able to stand up for myself. So, you can’t undo the past, but you can choose your own future, and if you want to be strong... you have to fight for it and find out in your life what’s worth fighting for.

GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Yin-Yang Master

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 am

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I think the Final Wars Rodan design is better then both the Showa and Heisei designs.

I think MonsterVerse Rodan is better than all three of them.

godjacob
Yin-Yang Master

Postby godjacob » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:32 am

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I think the Final Wars Rodan design is better then both the Showa and Heisei designs.

I think MonsterVerse Rodan is better than all three of them.

MonsterVerse Rodan's look is amazing. 10/10 design for him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:37 pm

The 56 still my favorite. I like MV Rodan but I'm not a fan of him somewhat being Fire Rodan 2.0. I miss a Rodan that can stand toe to toe with Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HedorahIsBestGirl
Yin-Yang Master

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The 56 still my favorite. I like MV Rodan but I'm not a fan of him somewhat being Fire Rodan 2.0. I miss a Rodan that can stand toe to toe with Godzilla.

I love the '56 Rodan too, but I think the '60s Rodan is the worst of the lot, design wise. Personality wise, he's my favorite. I also miss Rodan being an even match for Godzilla.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Yeah 60s Rodan was pretty goofy looking.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tyrantgoji
EDF Soldier

Postby tyrantgoji » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm

I hope in future Toho films, Rodan finally gets some of that strength back and we can finally get that rematch that fans have been wanting since 93. Speaking of Rodan, and i don't know how unpopular this is, but i personally prefer him without a beam attack.

godjacob
Yin-Yang Master

Postby godjacob » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Isn't the 56 Rodan and the Showa one that fought Godzilla different versions? I agree that the personality of the Showa one is a delight but his appearance is a bit ugly. Same issue I have with Showa Kong.

Though Rodan cackling as Godzilla gets sprayed by Mothra's silk before being blasted itself is a gem no matter the design. It along with the MonsterVerse smirk at the jets are two of my fav Rodan moments.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Yin-Yang Master

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:Speaking of Rodan, and i don't know how unpopular this is, but i personally prefer him without a beam attack.

I don't think that's unpopular, but either way I definitely agree. I hate that every Heisei monster needed a stupid beam attack.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

godjacob wrote:Isn't the 56 Rodan and the Showa one that fought Godzilla different versions? I agree that the personality of the Showa one is a delight but his appearance is a bit ugly. Same issue I have with Showa Kong.

I don't know what Toho's "official" stance is (and frankly I don't think it matters too much) but according to dialogue in Ghidrah, the Rodan that rises from Mt. Aso and spars with Godzilla was "revived," hence one of the two that had been engulfed by lava in 1956.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

godjacob
Yin-Yang Master

Postby godjacob » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:09 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Speaking of Rodan, and i don't know how unpopular this is, but i personally prefer him without a beam attack.

I don't think that's unpopular, but either way I definitely agree. I hate that every Heisei monster needed a stupid beam attack.

So hypothetically, if they were to buff up Rodan without using any beam or projectile rays how do you see them making Rodan an equal to Godzilla? Cause pecking at and slapping at Godzilla with its wings doesn't seem a set up for it doing much damage considering Godzilla's beam has gotten vastly stronger since the Showa mist spray days.

Terasawa wrote:
godjacob wrote:Isn't the 56 Rodan and the Showa one that fought Godzilla different versions? I agree that the personality of the Showa one is a delight but his appearance is a bit ugly. Same issue I have with Showa Kong.

I don't know what Toho's "official" stance is (and frankly I don't think it matters too much) but according to dialogue in Ghidrah, the Rodan that rises from Mt. Aso and spars with Godzilla was "revived," hence one of the two that had been engulfed by lava in 1956.

SMH, should have kept the 56 design in that case.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:11 pm

godjacob wrote:So hypothetically, if they were to buff up Rodan without using any beam or projectile rays how do you see them making Rodan an equal to Godzilla? Cause pecking at and slapping at Godzilla with its wings doesn't seem a set up for it doing much damage considering Godzilla's beam has gotten vastly stronger since the Showa mist spray days.

Rather than "buff up" Rodan, it seems like it would make more sense to "buff down" Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tyrantgoji
EDF Soldier

Postby tyrantgoji » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:11 pm

godjacob wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:

So hypothetically, if they were to buff up Rodan without using any beam or projectile rays how do you see them making Rodan an equal to Godzilla? Cause pecking at and slapping at Godzilla with its wings doesn't seem a set up for it doing much damage considering Godzilla's beam has gotten vastly stronger since the Showa mist spray days.

Speed, his armored stomach and chest, maybe something like a sonic roar etc. Heisei Rodan was actually doing really well against Godzilla even before he got atomic breathed to high hell.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 pm

godjacob wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

SMH, should have kept the 56 design in that case.

I don't think they really intended the '64 costume to appear all that different from the original. Prior to 1984, at the latest, Toho's monster suit builders didn't or couldn't use molds to create duplicate costumes.

Anyway, according to the Showa Rodan entry at Wikizilla, the construction of the first Rodan costume in 1956 was so inconvenient that -even if they'd had molds of it in 1964- it would have been useless for what they wanted to do with the character in 1964 and in his later Showa appearances:

According to Yoshio Suzuki, the body of the suit for the first generation Rodan(s) was tailored to the measurements of suit actor Haruo Nakajima's body. The suit was immensely heavy at a weight of approximately 150 pounds (~68 kilograms), and thus its wings, constructed of Indian cloth and coated with liquid latex, would have been exceedingly difficult to support for long periods of time with nothing but the strength of the arms of its actor. To counteract this, lengths of bamboo rods were split up and bent using the heat from a charcoal fire, and inserted throughout between its shoulders and wings for support. The wings were further supported and operated with piano wires, however their movements were dictated entirely by Nakajima. This proved to not be the only inconvenience for Nakajima spawned from the build of the suit, however, as its knee joints were constructed to accurately reflect those of real birds, moving opposite to the joints of mammals.

Interestingly, according to the same page, the later costume featured a mechanism built from a rubber hose that would have allowed the wings to fold like a bird's, but in practice, the latex material in the costume was too rigid for it to work.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

ManuJM1997
G-Grasper

Postby ManuJM1997 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:16 am

For me it's the contrary: I prefer the association of Rodan with fire, lava and heat.

I dunno, I just rlly like the idea of a giant flying being leaving a trail of fire and heat while he flies.
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

Cryptid_Liker
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:04 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:I hope in future Toho films, Rodan finally gets some of that strength back and we can finally get that rematch that fans have been wanting since 93. Speaking of Rodan, and i don't know how unpopular this is, but i personally prefer him without a beam attack.

I prefer a purely physical Rodan too. In fact, Heisei Rodan is my least favorite Rodan to date.

Marp
Ronin

Postby Marp » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm

ManuJM1997 wrote:For me it's the contrary: I prefer the association of Rodan with fire, lava and heat.

I dunno, I just rlly like the idea of a giant flying being leaving a trail of fire and heat while he flies.

Plus, I think it gives him extra unique points when compared with his co-stars. Godzilla is the King of the Monsters and shoots radioactive breath, Ghidorah is an alien space dragon that tramples planets like a drunkard on a pub crawl and Mothra is a literal goddess; Not to poop talk Rodan but having him be *just* a radioactively enhanced pherodactyl can be a bit boring in comparison as even Anguirus has his spiked carapace to toy with.

My issue is more they never really got proper use out of the fire aspect, at least in terms of new powers and such. Heisei Rodan got a beam just like the others and MV Rodan didn't display any sort of fire abilities during his screentime with the jets or Mothra. It might be cool if, like, he could do some sort of heat burst attack or his wings were superheated to the point of carving through buildings like butter.

godjacob
Yin-Yang Master

Postby godjacob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Marp wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:For me it's the contrary: I prefer the association of Rodan with fire, lava and heat.

Plus, I think it gives him extra unique points when compared with his co-stars. Godzilla is the King of the Monsters and shoots radioactive breath, Ghidorah is an alien space dragon that tramples planets like a drunkard on a pub crawl and Mothra is a literal goddess; Not to poop talk Rodan but having him be *just* a radioactively enhanced pherodactyl can be a bit boring in comparison as even Anguirus has his spiked carapace to toy with.

My issue is more they never really got proper use out of the fire aspect, at least in terms of new powers and such. Heisei Rodan got a beam just like the others and MV Rodan didn't display any sort of fire abilities during his screentime with the jets or Mothra. It might be cool if, like, he could do some sort of heat burst attack or his wings were superheated to the point of carving through buildings like butter.

Well MV Rodan did leave behind this ash effect at the end of its wings and MV Mothra's wings were burnt during her fight with Rodan, so I think it was implied he had some heat based-burning ability but it is passive at best.

I agree. Molten wings that cut through things like paper would be awesome.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

godjacob wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:

Birds of prey are pretty damn formidable, dude. The harpy eagle — a bird the size of a medium dog — has talons the size of steak knives and a grip equal to that of a gorilla's hand. It's capable of breaking a man's arm. The golden eagle is capable of hunting and killing deer and wolves, and the now extinct Haast's eagle preyed on humans.

Scale Rodan up to match Godzilla in height and give him armor that can protect him from atomic breath and he'll do absolutely fine.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Return to “General Toho Films”