Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am

Perfect, thank you!
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
LockBite
Interpol Agent
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LockBite » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Toho should make at least one film that takes place in the Showa continuity, following up after Destroy All Monsters in a futuristic Showa-series version of the 2020’s. Not as a self-aware type of thing, but a genuine love letter to the series that started it all. Film it in 35mm, maybe even use Tohoscope, use rubber suits and pyrotechnics, etc.

It could be glorious.

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:40 am

I agree a Destroy All Monsters 2 could be fun.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5526
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:34 pm

It would be. Maybe they could even given Varan a good role.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm

More Varan would be good. But I think it would be even funnier if they had one clip of him that was even shorter than the one in Destroy All Monsters.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am

With the exception of the clever, giant but still an animal personality and the asexual reproduction, I would be fully ok with Zilla being a full on incarnation of Godzilla.

Edit: that's just GTS, I have immediately realized
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
MinorBone Good
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:41 am
Location: Sheol

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby MinorBone Good » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 pm

The 1955 Anguirus suit is my favorite incarnation of him.
BACK IN ACTION :P

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby kamilleblu » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:03 am

Tezuka's military movies (specifically GxMG and SOS) are an improvement on the Heisei G-Force movies.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby gottatalktothefake » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:13 pm

I've always avoided saying this because I know for a fact that some users on here would jump down my throat. But skreeonk it I don't really give a poop about that anymore. I don't merely dislike Shin like I have said to avoid backlash, I despise it. I think it's hot skreeonking garbage. I do not understand how this film somehow won so many awards. The pacing is garbage, the characters and so one-note they make KoTM look Shakespearean, the affects are all over the place and the reused and repetitive soundtrack is super distracting and they should have found an actress who was actually bilingual for Kyato or whatever the skreeonk her name was. And you could have trimmed half an hour off of the movie and still have gotten the message across and have all the major events in the film occur as they do.

I like the original pieces of music made for the movie and like 2 of the scenes. The first military confrontation and the atomic breath scene. But that's about it.

I don't think less of anyone for liking it, I don't really give a skreeonk if someone disagrees with me on a movie. But I know for a fact several snarky and condescending replies about how "I just don't get it" are coming.
"Next time it'll be flawless."

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:26 pm

I love Shin to bits (I'm sure you cant tell) however, all of your opinions are your own and I will respectfully agree to disagree

Hope you dont get too much have an ass wringing over them.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:27 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I've always avoided saying this because I know for a fact that some users on here would jump down my throat. But skreeonk it I don't really give a poop about that anymore. I don't merely dislike Shin like I have said to avoid backlash, I despise it. I think it's hot skreeonking garbage. I do not understand how this film somehow won so many awards. The pacing is garbage, the characters and so one-note they make KoTM look Shakespearean, the affects are all over the place and the reused and repetitive soundtrack is super distracting and they should have found an actress who was actually bilingual for Kyato or whatever the skreeonk her name was. And you could have trimmed half an hour off of the movie and still have gotten the message across and have all the major events in the film occur as they do.

I like the original pieces of music made for the movie and like 2 of the scenes. The first military confrontation and the atomic breath scene. But that's about it.

I don't think less of anyone for liking it, I don't really give a skreeonk if someone disagrees with me on a movie. But I know for a fact several snarky and condescending replies about how "I just don't get it" are coming.

I don't think you're wrong for feeling the way you do. I disagree about a lot of little points you make, but I could see how you'd come to despise it. I don't see it as "you don't get it", more as "you get it, but don't like it".

I've stated this before, but I think it's worth mentioning: Kyoko, to a Japanese audience, would sound completely fluent in English. Considering she's a well known, and good actress in other things she's in, it doesn't surprise me or bother me. Part of the reason why I like the film is that it's intended for a specific audience. It's not trying to be some big overblown thing, like GFW, that is failing to have mass appeal to everyone in the world. It's why I appreciate some of the more controversial decisions more.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4752
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GigaBowserG » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't think less of anyone for liking it, I don't really give a skreeonk if someone disagrees with me on a movie. But I know for a fact several snarky and condescending replies about how "I just don't get it" are coming.


YoU jUsT dOn'T gEt It

Nah you're fine. Whether it's new or old, not every Godzilla movie will click with everyone. Sorry that you'll inevitably meet those who are fueled by their "greater than thou" opinions.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:59 pm

I'm not sure how Unpopular this is, but I have a feeling it'll be controversial. I think I like the MUTOS as much as pretty much any post Biollante Kaiju the series has introduced. Not saying they're necessarily the best, but I view them as a valid and important part of the franchise. I think their designs and dynamic were unique enough, and I liked how they have variation. I wish we saw more of them in the future outside of cameos.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Titan

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:07 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure how Unpopular this is, but I have a feeling it'll be controversial. I think I like the MUTOS as much as pretty much any post Biollante Kaiju the series has introduced. Not saying they're necessarily the best, but I view them as a valid and important part of the franchise. I think their designs and dynamic were unique enough, and I liked how they have variation. I wish we saw more of them in the future outside of cameos.


I never really saw their designs as anything special since it's pretty much every hunched over, knuckle walking monster Hollywood's used since Cloverfield but..yeah i guess they're kinda important since they were the first American made Godzilla enemy.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:06 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure how Unpopular this is, but I have a feeling it'll be controversial. I think I like the MUTOS as much as pretty much any post Biollante Kaiju the series has introduced. Not saying they're necessarily the best, but I view them as a valid and important part of the franchise. I think their designs and dynamic were unique enough, and I liked how they have variation. I wish we saw more of them in the future outside of cameos.


With the exception of Orga (who I still like less then the MUTOs), I agree.

I think it's because they're a kind of kaiju we haven't had in a while. Not some uber evil or anti heroic abomination or a mech, but a natural creature with a life cycle that causes conflict with humanity and hints of personality that makes it more then a monster
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9477
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Not a big fan of the movie, like at all, but I really like Megaguirus' design.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image
Image

User avatar
GodzillaFreak99
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 am
Location: wherever I'm needed
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GodzillaFreak99 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Sorry, wrong thread. Ignore this post.
Last edited by GodzillaFreak99 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can only be as strong as you want to be. I didn’t get this way overnight. It took a very long time for me to be able to stand up for myself. So, you can’t undo the past, but you can choose your own future, and if you want to be strong... you have to fight for it and find out in your life what’s worth fighting for.

GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Titan

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:26 pm

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I dislike the MCUs depiction of the Hulk (particularly in Avengers Endgame) they failed to do his character justice and I'd argue the almost ruined it imo.


Sir the main Unpopular Opinion thread is down in General Discussion.

User avatar
Jetty_Jags
Yojimbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:27 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Jetty_Jags » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 pm

The one bit I’d like to argue in favor of shin, going along with the current (and surprisingly civil) discussion, is regarding the characters. I feel like the intent was to keep them one dimensional because they aren’t actually the main character, Japan is. So the main character in shin Godzilla does have a personality, and it’s the amalgamation of the people we see in the film. But I understand not everyone likes this type of thing in movies.
He Jock it Made of Steel

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6562
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Jetty_Jags wrote:The one bit I’d like to argue in favor of shin, going along with the current (and surprisingly civil) discussion, is regarding the characters. I feel like the intent was to keep them one dimensional because they aren’t actually the main character, Japan is. So the main character in shin Godzilla does have a personality, and it’s the amalgamation of the people we see in the film. But I understand not everyone likes this type of thing in movies.

I think Rando is firmly developed and the main character, but isn't intended to be the "big star" or hero archetypical main character in the traditional sense. However, I completely agree with you.

The Japanese tagline of the film is "Japan vs. Godzilla" which only reinforces your point.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest