Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Re: Godzilla Unpopular Opinions

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:19 pm

I do not like the Shobjin from G vs the Sea Monster. I feel the Ito sisters had better voices.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

ZeppandonConfirmed
Samurai

Postby ZeppandonConfirmed » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:42 am

Another unpopular opinion I have is that I like Kamacuras way more than Kumonga. I would rather encounter a giant Mantis over a giant Spider.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am

edgaguirus wrote:I do not like the Shobjin from G vs the Sea Monster. I feel the Ito sisters had better voices.

I don't think I've ever heard any fan express any particular fondness for Pair Bambi.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Postby ZinK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 am

ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:Another unpopular opinion I have is that I like Kamacuras way more than Kumonga. I would rather encounter a giant Mantis over a giant Spider.

Me too, Kamacuras needs more love.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 pm

edgaguirus wrote:I do not like the Shobjin from G vs the Sea Monster. I feel the Ito sisters had better voices.

This is an unpopular opinion?

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:50 pm

I don't know. I've just never heard any complaints about them.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."

ZeppandonConfirmed
Samurai

Postby ZeppandonConfirmed » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:29 am

I just keep coming up with more unpopular opinions. Lmao.

One is that I find the 84 Godzilla suit overrated. It's not terrible, Far from it, but I'm not the biggest fan of it.
My big gripe with the suit is the face. It's easily one of my least favorite Godzilla face designs along with the 67 and Final Wars design. The eyes barely look straight at what he's doing. Like that train scene. And whenever Godzilla was looking straight, he looked so depressed from my point of view. It's a same too because everything else about the design is actually cool. I like the body, arm, tail, and leg designs. Like I said, the 84 design isn't awful, far from it, but it is easily the most overrated.
Last edited by ZeppandonConfirmed on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cult of Personality

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:40 am

kamilleblu wrote:

This is an unpopular opinion?

It's not. A lot of people seem to not care for them, or are neutral. I don't think anyone prefers them over the Ito sisters.

ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:One is that I find the 84 Godzilla suit overrated.

Except that it isn't even popular, so it isn't overrated. It doesn't qualify.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

ZeppandonConfirmed
Samurai

Postby ZeppandonConfirmed » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 am

Goji wrote:
ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:One is that I find the 84 Godzilla suit overrated.

Except that it isn't even popular, so it isn't overrated. It doesn't qualify.

It isn't popular? This is news to me. Lol. I hear many people on YouTube and Instagram say that their favorite Godzilla suit is the 84. They say it's the most terrifying Godzilla, it has the best roar, or some other thing like that.
But that's just YouTube and Instagram. I have no idea what people say about it on other forms because I don't really go on those forums.
The Cult of Personality

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:00 am

Well, I don't know anything about the YouTube crowd, but this is based on the reception of fans over the past two+decades.

The old guard weren't too big on it, and since the movie hasn't been available on a modern format until just recently (with the last official release coming in in the U.S. in 1997), I find it hard to believe that the younger generation of fans have taken a liking to it, seeing as they've probably never seen it in action until last month.
Last edited by Goji on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

Saansilt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Saansilt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 am

^Which is probably why it is popular right now. Give it a bit to see if the opinion stays.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.

Chris55 wrote:Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?

My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

shadowgigan
Yin-Yang Master

Postby shadowgigan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 pm

I liked GINO, it introduced me to Godzilla.
I thought GvsSG had an awesome score, as well as GFW.
2014 score was weak.
Actual signature from TK/Gojistomp, Circa 2005

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:30 am

I have recently been rewatching all the entries, specifically Showa, in prep for Shin Gojira. Honestly, the Showa series has beam wars, people don't admit that. In any fight with King Ghidorah King Ghidorah spams the poop of his beams. Ghidorah has and always been a beam spammer. The fight against Kumonga is beam spam. Mechagodzilla is a heavy beam spammer. Hedorah beam spams. And a lot of the melee fights, like Godzilla vs Ebirah are short or boring. There's tons of rocks being hit around. I'm just saying everyone is quick to criticize the Heisei era, but they're not that much different from the Showa series as much as the fandom thinks.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:06 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I have recently been rewatching all the entries, specifically Showa, in prep for Shin Gojira. Honestly, the Showa series has beam wars, people don't admit that. In any fight with King Ghidorah King Ghidorah spams the poop of his beams. Ghidorah has and always been a beam spammer. The fight against Kumonga is beam spam. Mechagodzilla is a heavy beam spammer. Hedorah beam spams. And a lot of the melee fights, like Godzilla vs Ebirah are short or boring. There's tons of rocks being hit around. I'm just saying everyone is quick to criticize the Heisei era, but they're not that much different from the Showa series as much as the fandom thinks.

I think King Ghidorah gets a free pass because he was early on in the series when most monsters didn't have rays or spamable specials, and I guess being able to have so much energy as to just waste it like that was there way to convey how powerful he was back then. Funny in hindsight since now Godzilla's world has a ridiculous amount of super or near super monsters now instead of just average or above average. Mechagodzilla on the other hand came around the time when Toho was shifting towards monsters that had more than just one power. But Mechagodzilla also gets a free pass in that is a machine and for all intents and purposes a walking, dinosaur shaped gun.

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Legion1979 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Uhhh huh....

There's still a huge difference, for all the beams fired in the older films there's just as much physical fighting and the monsters are all still very active. In many of the heisei fights the monsters rarely physically interact, and when they do it always looks unbelievably awkward.

This is the first time anywhere I've ever seen someone make this argument. It doesn't hold water.

GodzillavsZilla

Postby GodzillavsZilla » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:23 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I have recently been rewatching all the entries, specifically Showa, in prep for Shin Gojira. Honestly, the Showa series has beam wars, people don't admit that. In any fight with King Ghidorah King Ghidorah spams the poop of his beams. Ghidorah has and always been a beam spammer. The fight against Kumonga is beam spam. Mechagodzilla is a heavy beam spammer. Hedorah beam spams. And a lot of the melee fights, like Godzilla vs Ebirah are short or boring. There's tons of rocks being hit around. I'm just saying everyone is quick to criticize the Heisei era, but they're not that much different from the Showa series as much as the fandom thinks.

Like Living Corpse, I also think King Ghidorah gets a free pass, but because there isn't really much for him to do. I mean, he can flap his wings, kick, hit things with his wings, fly into things, and bite, but (other than his Gravity Beams) that's it.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:

On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary poop though if it is just scratches.

Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Legion1979 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Ghidorah beam spans, sure, but the other monsters ALWAYS battle him physically. Godzilla didn't fire a single ray at him in Ghidrah or Godzilla vs Gigan, the tiny handful of rays he fired at him in MZ had no effect and he fired at him only once in DAM. The vast majority of Godzilla's attacks against Ghidorah in the Showa series have been physical.

Also worth pointing out that King Ghidorah firing animated rays is a pretty big exception. Angilas, Kong, Mothra, Rodan, Ebirah, Kamakiras, Kumonga...none of those monsters fired animated rays. And even though Kong and Gabara had an animated electrical attack, those only worked in a physical confrontation.

Meanwhile Hedorah only fired his beam against Godzilla a couple of times, Gigan and Titanosaurus don't have beams and Megalon never used his beam in battle. That leaves only King Ghidorah and MG as the only true "beam spammers" in the Showa series, and there was plenty of physical fighting against both of them regardless.

So come on...

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Godzilla did use his ray on Ghidorah in G3HM, but like MZ, it had little effect.

The Kumonga fight, you say, was also a beam war. Like Ghidorah, Kumonga has few choices in attack. It has webbing, its clawed legs, and that body slam attack that was used on Godzilla. Godzilla and Minya used their rays because it was the only defense they had against that webbing. Most other fights are a combination of rays and mele combat. Megalon had multiple attacks, but half of the fight or more was physical. Megalon only really opened up to create the ring of fire.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Isn't this just the same as the kaiju confessions thread?

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:49 am

I don't know, but people have been asking that for weeks, and yet, the topic stills stands. Let it be.

Return to “General Toho Films”