Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

KiryuGoji is my least favorite suit. Lifeless piece of shite. Emotionless still standing crap, this thing was the inspiration for shin shiit Godzilla.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

G-Fest sounds like hell
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:G-Fest sounds like hell
G-Fest more like Godzilla fans rising out of their mom's basement to tear each other apart IRL
Resized Image 

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:
G-Fest more like Godzilla fans rising out of their mom's basement to tear each other apart IRL
At least they leave their moms basement once a year....you?

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

goji89 wrote:
TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:
At least they leave their moms basement once a year....you?
Uh... Like, once every five years.
:cry:
Resized Image 

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There are like five reasons to attend G-Fest.
  • To meet the guests from Japan
  • The dealers' room
  • Movies at the Pickwick
  • Panels about various kaiju topics
  • Catch up with friends
The guests are usually pretty cool but your interactions with them are limited by the language barrier. It was really cool to meet Akira Takarada and Noriaki Yuasa, but it's not like we could really talk about anything.

The dealers' room is usually the big event for most fans, but as someone who's never cared about Godzilla toys, I've only ever really looked at film memorabilia and bootlegged movies. This is always the most chaotic area. Expect lots of body odor and zero personal space.

The movies used to be a much bigger deal than they are now. In the mid-2000s, Toho was sending 35mm prints of stuff like the export version of Matango and Terror of Mechagodzilla, as well as subtitled prints of the latest Godzilla movies. (In the case of the latter, that was a much bigger deal back then when the movies were only yet available on bootleg video with bad subtitles.) Today I think they only do digital screenings. The last time I went, in 2010, every movie they showed was from a DVD (not even Blu-Ray) of something I could watch at home. The sole difference was that at home I don't have a 50+ foot screen. (They did show a couple of reels of the original Godzilla but the film broke and they put in the Classic Media DVD.)

Panels... they speak for themselves. I've attended a few really interesting ones about dubbing and film scoring. The best ones are always the interviews with the guests. And of course there are a lot of uninteresting panels too.

If you don't have online friends you wanna meet up with in person then obviously just ignore the last point.

I say if you have no interest in collecting the latest Bandai Godzillas or meeting up with friends you don't see very often then don't bother. I agree that for the cost it's pretty overrated. It seems like there's always a bit of behind the scenes drama that gets out, too, so that kinda sucks.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I've always wanted to go to G-Fest and I still do but I've head some depressing rumors about the management and behind the scenes drama. I feel like the older guard of Gfans who run G-Fest seem to ignore the recent Godzilla films especially if they are the Legendary films. I feel like they could have done something to promote KOTM and tie their con into the press for that movie. Have some of the digital suit actors maybe? Either way I still want to go so but it would be for the dealers room and mainly to meet friends. I've heard of friends meeting up an hosting their own party in the hotel watching Kaiju films.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

cloverfan98 wrote:I've heard of friends meeting up an hosting their own party in the hotel watching Kaiju films.
I don't know if they still do it, but the hotel I stayed at in 2010 (the official hotel of the con) had an in-house channel that showed kaiju movies the entire weekend. It was mostly MST3K's Sandy Frank films, Johnny Sokko and other shows like that, Pulgasari, etc. Basically nothing from Toho that would get them in big legal trouble, but still a treat to watch when nothing was happening at the convention.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

cloverfan98 wrote:I've always wanted to go to G-Fest and I still do but I've head some depressing rumors about the management and behind the scenes drama. I feel like the older guard of Gfans who run G-Fest seem to ignore the recent Godzilla films especially if they are the Legendary films. I feel like they could have done something to promote KOTM and tie their con into the press for that movie. Have some of the digital suit actors maybe? Either way I still want to go so but it would be for the dealers room and mainly to meet friends. I've heard of friends meeting up an hosting their own party in the hotel watching Kaiju films.
A lot of the movies they show are due to restrictions by Toho and they are a small con so it's hard to get Hollywood guests.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

cloverfan98 wrote:I feel like the older guard of Gfans who run G-Fest seem to ignore the recent Godzilla films especially if they are the Legendary films. I feel like they could have done something to promote KOTM and tie their con into the press for that movie. Have some of the digital suit actors maybe?
Actually, JD Lees (the head of the whole thing) seems to prefer Heisei/Millenium guests, at least when it comes to the SFX department (Though granted, I realize cast and crew from the Showa-era are getting harder and harder to come by or afford). He apparently had disdain for Nakano's work, and immensely preferred Kawakita. In general, he seems to think everyone is just in it for the monsters, and prefers bringing over SFX-related guests as opposed to actors (Unless they're REALLY big names like Takarada), even if they're obscure as all hell (Like an assistant effects director from Final Wars or whatever).

As for the ignoring of Legendary stuff, it is pretty weird they have't gotten a random CG suit actor, sound editor, extra running from Godzilla, etc., thinking they will be a big deal because the movie they worked on on is new. Maybe it has something to do with them (G-Fest) being unauthorized and fearing legal action or something, but I have no idea.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Not sure if rather unpopular either but one thing I don't get is...If the MonsterVerse is aiming for realism as you guys all claim why do you all then clamor for Mechagodzilla who is far from realism?

And don't say "Because he's the Big 5".

Let me ask? What makes Mechagodzilla so real? He's a skreeonking giant robot and in our generation were nowhere close to the tech level to make such a thing so unless Mechagodzilla comes from space (Whether the Berserk concept or being build by aliens or arriving being left as mystery) or set decades in the future of the MonsterVerse I don't see how Mechagodzilla can work with realism.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Technologically speaking we're actually fairly "close" to advancing artificial intelligence and robots, I mean, both already exist in the modern day.

It wouldn't be that far fetched in a world with giant monsters to imagine humans with slightly more advanced tech.

2-3 decades ago if you told someone you had a device that told you everything just by asking it, they'd think you were crazy.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:Technologically speaking we're actually fairly "close" to advancing artificial intelligence and robots, I mean, both already exist in the modern day.

It wouldn't be that far fetched in a world with giant monsters to imagine humans with slightly more advanced tech.
Yeah but something THAT massive? :|

Even there were still not there yet...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Technologically speaking we're actually fairly "close" to advancing artificial intelligence and robots, I mean, both already exist in the modern day.

Yeah but something THAT massive? :|

Even there were still not there yet...
:lol: , In a world with giant monsters I'm sure bigger tech would be the main focus for Tech Giants.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote::lol: , In a world with giant monsters I'm sure bigger tech would be the main focus for Tech Giants.
Why didn't they show said bigger tech in G14 then if that were the case? :eh:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote::lol: , In a world with giant monsters I'm sure bigger tech would be the main focus for Tech Giants.
Why didn't they show said bigger tech in G14 then if that were the case? :eh:
Because the world didn't know giant monsters existed lol? Only Monarch did, and even then, restrictions in tech would make sense in 2014. But following 2020, the world will have been attacked numerous times by monsters, so there'd need to be a public defense against them.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:Because the world didn't know giant monsters existed lol? Only Monarch did, and even then, restrictions in tech would make sense in 2014. But following 2020, the world will have been attacked numerous times by monsters, so there'd need to be a public defense against them.
Which realistically then would take decades to build such a thing because to build something like that and so big in a few years in the current time couldn't really happen... :lol: I give Pacific Rim credit for showing that in the beginning it took years to achieve such a thing.

Again the only way I see this working is if its from space or set decades in the future.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:If the MonsterVerse is aiming for realism as you guys all claim why do you all then clamor for Mechagodzilla who is far from realism?

(looks at lava pterosaur, laser light show moth, lightning dragon, insect/reptile/mammal hybrids, an island nearly entirely made of plant-animal hybrids, and the literal million year old lizard who breathes fire)

yeah, you're right, a giant robot would totally break my suspension of disbelief

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:(looks at lava pterosaur, laser light show moth, lightning dragon, insect/reptile/mammal hybrids, an island nearly entirely made of plant-animal hybrids, and the literal million year old lizard who breathes fire)

yeah, you're right, a giant robot would totally break my suspension of disbelief
Hmmm so then why do you guys keep always saying that the MonsterVerse is realism? *Whistles*
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Hmmm so then why do you guys keep always saying that the MonsterVerse is realism? *Whistles*

Use your head. Not everyone here has the same opinion.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.