Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
villainzilla
Yojimbo

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by villainzilla »

ok,it is finally time to reveal my unpopular opinions about this franchise i grow up with it
-gmk and shin godzilla aren't bad movies but like a new hope and the empire strikes back they are extremely overrated by the fans
-final wars and raids again aren't that BAD
-the 62 design sucks
-the heisei series is the worst one out of the 3 eras that are finished(i honestly think that reiwa might take it's spot as the worst in the future)
-godzilla vs megalon is the worst movie of the showa era
-godzilla vs destoroyah is bottom top 3 worst godzilla movies for me
-godzilla vs gigan is actually pretty enjoyable movie(for me anyways since the monsters that are in are my top 4 favorite monsters the franchise)
-final wars has the best soundtrack out of any godzilla movie

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

villainzilla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 am ok,it is finally time to reveal my unpopular opinions about this franchise i grow up with it
-gmk and shin godzilla aren't bad movies but like a new hope and the empire strikes back they are extremely overrated by the fans
-final wars and raids again aren't that BAD
-the 62 design sucks
-the heisei series is the worst one out of the 3 eras that are finished(i honestly think that reiwa might take it's spot as the worst in the future)
-godzilla vs megalon is the worst movie of the showa era
-godzilla vs destoroyah is bottom top 3 worst godzilla movies for me
-godzilla vs gigan is actually pretty enjoyable movie(for me anyways since the monsters that are in are my top 4 favorite monsters the franchise)
-final wars has the best soundtrack out of any godzilla movie
- GMK and Shin are not bad movies, true, but it's untrue that ANH and ESB are overrated. And I say that as someone who grew up mostly on the Prequels.

- You could probably make a case for Final Wars being that bad, but I agree that GRA is actually pretty enjoyable in its own way.

- Filthy blasphemy. Mods, ban him.

- Probably, yeah, though it's too early to call with Reiwa.

- True, but it's a lot of fun.

- I wouldn't go that low, but certainly bottom ten.

- GvG is, indeed, highly enjoyable.

- Seriously, mods, ban him.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I do agree with GRA not being as bad as people claim. And the idea that it almost killed the franchise, from what I've read, is a misconception. If I'm not mistaken it performed even better box office wise than the original.

And yes, Godzilla Vs. Gigan is great.
Last edited by Kaltes-Herzeleid on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:45 am I do agree with GRA not being as bad as people claim. And the idea that it almost killed the franchise, from what I've read, is a misconception. If I'm not mistaken it performed even better box office wise than the original.

Wow, yeah, anyone who claims that is flat-out wrong. It was the Godzilla movie with the second highest attendance (between KKvG and '54) and according to Stuart Galbraith IV it was Toho's 4th highest grosser in 1955 (10th overall for 423 Japanese releases that year).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:00 am
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:45 am I do agree with GRA not being as bad as people claim. And the idea that it almost killed the franchise, from what I've read, is a misconception. If I'm not mistaken it performed even better box office wise than the original.

Wow, yeah, anyone who claims that is flat-out wrong. It was the Godzilla movie with the second highest attendance (between KKvG and '54) and according to Stuart Galbraith IV it was Toho's 4th highest grosser in 1955 (10th overall for 423 Japanese releases that year).
Though I would like to point out that a sequel's box office success is often arguably at least as much a reflection of the quality and/or popularity of the previous movie(s) in the series than of that specific entry.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Well regardless of why millions of people saw it upon its release, they did; it didn't kill the Godzilla series. (And you could very easily argue that the "Godzilla series" didn't truly exist until the '60s anyway).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Yeah, even taking aside "sequels always get a lot of money", it's literally the whole reason we have the concept of monsters fighting (what about 65% of the series is now built on) in the first place. So, no, it did not kill the franchise, any person opinions people may have on it aside.

RIP Evan.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

GRA did NOT almost kill the franchise...there really was no franchise to speak of for it to kill.

It was a classic original and a quickie sequel to cash in on the success of the first and that's it.

They tried to replicate the success of the G54 film with varied results (GRA, Rodan, Varan, etc), but Toho's kaiju films didn't really find their identity until Mothra 61 (which introduced fantasy and more lightheartedness) and King Kong Vs. Godzilla (which is when Godzilla really became a franchise player Toho could really build around due to that film's financial success).

Now granted, I'd never call GRA one of my favorite entries or anything. Actually, I'd say its on the lower end of the scale for me, but no way in heck did it come anywhere near killing the franchise.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:16 am Well regardless of why millions of people saw it upon its release, they did; it didn't kill the Godzilla series. (And you could very easily argue that the "Godzilla series" didn't truly exist until the '60s anyway).
My intent was not to debate that at all. I was just expanding upon the topic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Wow! I learned something new. I had no idea GRA actually performed better than the original initially.

I like the movie, it's fine. I actually like the weird fast paced animalistic action only because of how weird and different it is compared to the rest of the franchise.

Maybe I just like it because I feel the need to justify paying $75 for the Memorial Box figure all those years ago. :lol:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 pm Wow! I learned something new. I had no idea GRA actually performed better than the original initially.
Unlearn it because I was wrong in regards to the attendance figures. According to the main site:

G54: 9,610,000 tickets
GRA: 8,340,000 tickets
KKvG: 11,200,000 tickets (1962 release)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:52 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 pm Wow! I learned something new. I had no idea GRA actually performed better than the original initially.
Unlearn it because I was wrong in regards to the attendance figures. According to the main site:

G54: 9,610,000 tickets
GRA: 8,340,000 tickets
KKvG: 11,200,000 tickets (1962 release)
Oh. Ah well. Compared to the G54 it actually did better than I would've thought.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Unpopular Opinions

Post by edgaguirus »

eabaker wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:07 am
Mechagigan wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:I never got why Son of Godzilla gets lumped in with Godzilla's Revenge. Son of Godzilla has an entertaining story and characters, an adorable baby monster, some good music, and Kumonga is a great addition to the pantheon of monsters.
Monster-wise, the two share a lot; setting, characters, etc. The vast majority of viewers really only pay attention to that end, after all, and thus the two have become 'related'.
Plus, they feature a few of the same effects scenes. ;)
Godzilla's Revenge is a clip show more or less, strung together as a child's fantasy.

While the two do share a jungle setting and scenes, SOG is a far better film. It's a good piece of sci fi, while GR is the childrens book of kaiju films. It's not for those with more mature taste.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Being target at a less mature audience does not make one work worse than another. I think Godzilla's Revenge is a solid children's film, and I think Son of Godzilla is a very entertaining all-ages film; but the reasons I'd call SoG better have to do with how well the story is executed, not with whom the story is geared toward.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Take out Godzilla & Minya and Son of Godzilla is still a solid science fiction film. Its also got some of the most engaging human characters in the franchise.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DaimosZ
Ronin

Post by DaimosZ »

villainzilla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 am -final wars and raids again aren't that BAD

I agree with that a lot. Final Wars is definitely so bad it's good popcorn material and Raids Again had an interesting presentation. A lot of people think it's weird due to its odd pacing but I personally think it works in its own way, since the initial Godzilla and Angurius fight catches the characters off guard they have to cope with what they saw in their own way and use their basic knowledge that's set up in the movie to try to stop Godzilla for the moment. It's different but it works.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The flaws of the anime films are grossly exaggerated and their successes are downplayed or ignored. But the negative attitudes will eventually soften. Once upon a time the Fukuda films were embarrassing, Godzilla vs Hedorah was among the worst films of all time, and All Monsters Attack was irredeemable garbage. Cooler heads eventually prevailed.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kamilleblu wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 pm All Monsters Attack was irredeemable garbage.
If modern day general sensus is anything to go by, this opinion of the film really did not change.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:29 pm
kamilleblu wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 pm All Monsters Attack was irredeemable garbage.
If modern day general sensus is anything to go by, this opinion of the film really did not change.
I think that is highly dependent on the community in question.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:21 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:29 pm
I think that is highly dependent on the community in question.
It seems like everywhere but here heavily agrees with that notion
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?