Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:To me, the first half of Spacegodzilla is actually the better half, as I at least find the stuff with Yuki on the island kind of interesting. What totally loses me is that interminable battle in Fukuoka.
The last time through, I actually found the battle more interesting than I remembered it being (of course, I was counting the number of hits SG took for FM purposes, so maybe that helped the time pass quicker... :) ), but I totally get you, and agree with you here. Plus, the sense of impending dread is (as in so many films) stronger than the payoff, in many ways.
Although the first half also includes that fight in the asteroid field, which is one of the cheapest looking sequences in the history of the series.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:To me, the first half of Spacegodzilla is actually the better half, as I at least find the stuff with Yuki on the island kind of interesting. What totally loses me is that interminable battle in Fukuoka.
The last time through, I actually found the battle more interesting than I remembered it being (of course, I was counting the number of hits SG took for FM purposes, so maybe that helped the time pass quicker... :) ), but I totally get you, and agree with you here. Plus, the sense of impending dread is (as in so many films) stronger than the payoff, in many ways.
Although the first half also includes that fight in the asteroid field, which is one of the cheapest looking sequences in the history of the series.
And the shower scene, one of the most disturbing sequences in the history of the series.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Gerdzerl wrote:I'm fine with Godzilla being an actual lizard, like in Godzilla (1998) and not a "dinosaur" / prehistoric reptile in general.
To me, he's more or less a dragon.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:I'm fine with Godzilla being an actual lizard, like in Godzilla (1998) and not a "dinosaur" / prehistoric reptile in general.
To me, he's more or less a dragon.
Definitely. While he admittedly doesn't look that much like what people traditionally imagine when they hear "dragon", it's still a fairly fitting description for him.

http://suicunesrider.tumblr.com/post/16 ... s-when-the

http://theload.tumblr.com/post/14951840 ... difference

^ As seen in these posts here, a dragon can technically be, well, just about anything you want. :P

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah but Godzilla has never been stated to be a dragon, so that's complete head cannon and has no relevance. Meanwhile he has had dinosaur roots, and is consistently confirmed to be an ancient prehistoric creature.

Really though, and this is the unpopular opinion, I have no clue why half the fandom is so anal on classifying and categorizing monsters, specifically like Godzilla and saying if they are dinosaurs or reptiles. Godzilla is Godzilla, and categorizing him doesn't change the movies, and makes me think they don't realize it's a fictional movie series where anything can go.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Hmmm... Godzilla as some type of dragon ? It could work.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah but Godzilla has never been stated to be a dragon, so that's complete head cannon and has no relevance. Meanwhile he has had dinosaur roots, and is consistently confirmed to be an ancient prehistoric creature.
I don't exactly mean literally, but rather figuratively. Even James Rolfe admitted something similar once or twice. Besides, I got the idea from the Rossio/Elliott script. Aaron Vaught's 'The Waking Dragon'

Really though, and this is the unpopular opinion, I have no clue why half the fandom is so anal on classifying and categorizing monsters, specifically like Godzilla and saying if they are dinosaurs or reptiles. Godzilla is Godzilla, and categorizing him doesn't change the movies, and makes me think they don't realize it's a fictional movie series where anything can go.[/quote]
Fair enough.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Really though, and this is the unpopular opinion, I have no clue why half the fandom is so anal on classifying and categorizing monsters, specifically like Godzilla and saying if they are dinosaurs or reptiles. Godzilla is Godzilla, and categorizing him doesn't change the movies, and makes me think they don't realize it's a fictional movie series where anything can go.
It's because part of the fun of a fandom is adding your own pointless, esoteric context! But you're entitled to your opinion. :D

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah but Godzilla has never been stated to be a dragon, so that's complete head cannon and has no relevance. Meanwhile he has had dinosaur roots, and is consistently confirmed to be an ancient prehistoric creature.
I don't exactly mean literally, but rather figuratively. Even James Rolfe admitted something similar once or twice. Besides, I got the idea from the Rossio/Elliott script. Aaron Vaught's 'The Waking Dragon'

You know the more I think about it him being some type of dragon could work for a film. Add a slightly forked tounge, some small Allosaur/Carnotaurus brow horns, plated sternum and maybe a small tail spade at the tip and boom.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Since it seems to be becoming less popular of an opinion :To me, Godzilla is a radioactive, semi-aquatic dinosaur, as the he was originally portrayed as during the Showa Era.
Last edited by Billzilla1974 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Billzilla1974 wrote:Since it seems to be becoming less popular of an opinion :To me, Godzilla is a radioactive, semi-aquatic dinosaur, as the he was originally portrayed as during the Showa Era.
I liked that the Millennium films (except Final Wars) had the same origin as Showa. (GMK did because he was the '54 Godzilla )
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:Since it seems to be becoming less popular of an opinion :To me, Godzilla is a radioactive, semi-aquatic dinosaur, as the he was originally portrayed as during the Showa Era.
I liked that the Millennium films (except Final Wars) had the same origin as Showa. (GMK did because he was the '54 Godzilla )
True, I think it's a better origin than having him be a regular lizard, a dragon-Godzilla would be interesting, but I think the dinosaur origin (with dinosaurs already being real animals that existed naturally) has more potential for an interesting prehistoric Kaiju ecosystem, one that was briefly touched upon in Rulers of Earth, and one I hope will be further explored someday.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

For me, i can say that i liked Rebirth of Mothra's design for Grand King Ghidorah a little bit more than the 1991 design for the King of Terror.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

SickleFeather wrote:For me, i can say that i liked Rebirth of Mothra's design for Grand King Ghidorah a little bit more than the 1991 design for the King of Terror.
Is that really an unpopular opinion though, I always though that Grand King Ghidorah is considered one of the best version of the character if not the best .

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

ShinGi wrote:Is that really an unpopular opinion though, I always though that Grand King Ghidorah is considered one of the best version of the character if not the best .
Yeah, the design and powers are cool, but the whole motivation of "kipnapping-children-inside-giant-testicale-just-because" is a bit weak. :|

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Most depictions of Godzilla (Showa, Millennium, Legendary, Shin) - Prehistoric reptilian sea creature with ties to nuclear energy/weapons/waste
Heisei Godzilla - Mutant land based theropod involved with convoluted time travel/teleportation (and people say the Showa films are zany!)
TriStar Godzilla - Mutant lizard/marine iguana because realism (or Devlin and Emmerich genuinely thought he began as a simple lizard in the Toho films which wouldn't surprise me)

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

tbeasley wrote:Most depictions of Godzilla (Showa, Millennium, Legendary, Shin) - Prehistoric reptilian sea creature with ties to nuclear energy/weapons/waste
Heisei Godzilla - Mutant land based theropod involved with convoluted time travel/teleportation (and people say the Showa films are zany!)
TriStar Godzilla - Mutant lizard/marine iguana because realism (or Devlin and Emmerich genuinely thought he began as a simple lizard in the Toho films which wouldn't surprise me)
Incredibly well said.
Long Live The King

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

I'm not very fond of most Godzilla movies. I don't go to them much.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

ToxicLove wrote:I'm not very fond of most Godzilla movies. I don't go to them much.
Then why be here in the first place?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
ToxicLove wrote:I'm not very fond of most Godzilla movies. I don't go to them much.
Then why be here in the first place?
It's a joke. Based on an Orson Welles quote.