Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ZinK
Interpol Agent

Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by ZinK »

I share a lot of unique opinions, so I'll post a couple here.
-Godzilla vs Biollante is my least favorite Godzilla film.
-I like Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
-I think Millenium series is the best
-(I don't know if this is unpopular) I hate Godzilla vs Gigan.
-I find it hard to watch Showa films because of how dopey Godzilla looks.
Feel free to post yours.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Unpopular Opinions

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

-Final Wars Goji is my least favorite incarnation.
-Godzilla: Final Wars is actually tied with Godzilla's Revenge as the worst Godzilla movie IMO.
-I think Super Mechagodzilla was Godzilla's ultimate foe, unlike Destoroyah and SpaceGodzilla. He was able to successfully kill Godzilla (Which no other kaiju has ever done) who then only came back because of Rodan.
-I think GMK is overrated, it's a good movie but not the best of the Godzilla franchise, at least in my opinion.
-Despite Godzilla's Revenge being the worst movie along with Godzilla: Final Wars in my opinion. I actually think Gabara is a unique monster. Especially since he's based on Ogres of Japanese Mythology considering the electric ability.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Godzilla 2014 is overrated. Also Godzilla's screentime and presence is pretty important.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

- I consider Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) to be one of the weakest Showa entries
- I like Megaguirus far, far more than either of Tezuka's Kiryu movies
- I find Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth a pretty entertaining entry
- I do not consider Godzilla's Revenge to be a bad movie at all
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

eabaker wrote: - I do not consider Godzilla's Revenge to be a bad movie at all
I feel like Godzilla's Revenge and Son of Godzilla get a bunch of hate mainly because of Minya and how kid friendly the movies are. Godzilla's Revenge is a decent movie and Son Of Godzilla is my favorite movie which features Godzilla's offspring.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
I feel like Godzilla's Revenge and Son of Godzilla get a bunch of hate mainly because of Minya and how kid friendly the movies are. Godzilla's Revenge is a decent movie and Son Of Godzilla is my favorite movie which features Godzilla's offspring.
Son of Godzilla is in my top 10; it's a tight, entertaining flick that develops its human and monster characters well, and has some very well staged and photographed special effects scenes.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

- Not a fan of Godzilla Vs Biollante. I like the tone and what the film has to offer, but as a movie, it absolutely falls apart.
- I don't hate Final Wars; in fact, I think it has plenty to offer. Along with this, I love FinalGoji's design, ratface included.
- I'm not upset whatsoever by Gareth Edward's leaving from G2. Not only should he expand his horizons, but I (and the vast majority) didn't particularly enjoy his directorial choices with G'14.
- Strongly dislike Mothra Vs Godzilla. It has it's moments, but as a whole there's far more missing than what's worth noting.
- ToMG is easily one of the series' best films.

Also... this should be merged with the fan confessions thread.

Ninja'd - Godzilla's Revenge is exactly what it promises, and a little more; family friendly, and enjoyable. It may be unusual to the unsuspecting viewer, but taken on it's own merits, it's absolutely not a bad film. Same can be said for Son of Godzilla; out of context, perhaps strange, but not awful given it's own consideration. Infinitely better than films that promise something, and instead deliver boredom; GRA, SpaceGodzilla... etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:- Not a fan of Godzilla Vs Biollante. I like the tone and what the film has to offer, but as a movie, it absolutely falls apart.
This may be our point of most extreme disagreement. It's a movie that has me from start to finish.

Dracostar44
Samurai

Post by Dracostar44 »

I dont like hedorah at all
I love Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah
Why be king when you can be God

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Does that mean you like it more Han Destroy All Monsters and Vs. Destoryah.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I think G84's design is overrated as fuck.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Mastergodzilla wrote: Does that mean you like it more Han Destroy All Monsters and Vs. Destoryah.
Yeah, Destroy All Monsters is alright and I think VS Destoroyah is pretty bad.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mastergodzilla wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Does that mean you like it more Han Destroy All Monsters and Vs. Destoryah.
Looks like that's a point where Mr_Goji_and_Watch and I agree (that seems to happen a lot). While Destroy All Monsters and vs. Destroyah are both movies I really dig (DAM has some of the coolest cinematography in the whole series, in both human and monster scenes; Destroyah has a great tone and sometimes draws tears out of me), Son of Godzilla has a better structure and pace and more engaging characters.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I never got why Son of Godzilla gets lumped in with Godzilla's Revenge. Son of Godzilla has an entertaining story and characters, an adorable baby monster, some good music, and Kumonga is a great addition to the pantheon of monsters.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

GalacticPetey wrote:I never got why Son of Godzilla gets lumped in with Godzilla's Revenge. Son of Godzilla has an entertaining story and characters, an adorable baby monster, some good music, and Kumonga is a great addition to the pantheon of monsters.
Minya looks like a demon. Image

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

GalacticPetey wrote:I never got why Son of Godzilla gets lumped in with Godzilla's Revenge. Son of Godzilla has an entertaining story and characters, an adorable baby monster, some good music, and Kumonga is a great addition to the pantheon of monsters.
Monster-wise, the two share a lot; setting, characters, etc. The vast majority of viewers really only pay attention to that end, after all, and thus the two have become 'related'.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:
Monster-wise, the two share a lot; setting, characters, etc. The vast majority of viewers really only pay attention to that end, after all, and thus the two have become 'related'.
Plus, they feature a few of the same effects scenes. ;)

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

- I feel Final Wars is a better film than every post 1989 Heisei film.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I think G'98 is better than most of the Heisei Godzilla series.

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

PRIMEVAL wrote:I think G'98 is better than most of the Heisei Godzilla series.
ᴵ ᵗʰᶦᶰᵏ ᶻᶦᶫᶫᵃ ᶫᵒᵒᵏˢ ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᶰ ᵃᶫᶫ ᵗʰᵉ ˢʰᵒʷᵃ ᴳᵒᵈᶻᶦᶫᶫᵃˢ ᵇᵉˢᶦᵈᵉˢ ᵗʰᵉ ᵒʳᶦᵍᶦᶰᵃᶫ⋅