Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Destoroyah and Legion are both arthropods that are meant to be world ending threats. Both also involved human sized monsters that are meant to be more personal threats. Legion is just far better executed and plays with the ideas better.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Destoroyah and Legion are both arthropods that are meant to be world ending threats. Both also involved human sized monsters that are meant to be more personal threats. Legion is just far better executed and plays with the ideas better.
Okay? Going by that logic, Xenomorphs and Starship Trooper bugs are also closely related to them.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ That's reaching. Among kaiju specifically, which are what this discussion is clearly supposed to be limited to, Destoroyah and Legion are some of if not the only ones that follow the criteria Mr_Goji listed. And their movies are very close chronologically, which has to be a factor. I agree that it makes some sense to compare them. I don't know which I'd say was better executed, though- I haven't seen either movie in a few years.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don’t know if this is unpopular, but I also don’t know where else to post this.

Not enough mammal kaiju. Like, there’s literally two in the whole series. A lot of arthropods, reptiles, and even a bird and a freaking octopus, but like two mammals. You’d think it would be obvious territory. There’s so many cool mammals where you could say “hey let’s make THAT giant!”
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I don’t know if this is unpopular, but I also don’t know where else to post this.

Not enough mammal kaiju. Like, there’s literally two in the whole series. A lot of arthropods, reptiles, and even a bird and a freaking octopus, but like two mammals. You’d think it would be obvious territory. There’s so many cool mammals where you could say “hey let’s make THAT giant!”
I completely agree. Have you ever read Daikaiju Yuki? It's a fantastic book that just happens to have three mammal kaiju in it (a lion sort of thing, an elephant, and a bear).
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I don’t know if this is unpopular, but I also don’t know where else to post this.

I completely agree. Have you ever read Daikaiju Yuki? It's a fantastic book that just happens to have three mammal kaiju in it (a lion sort of thing, an elephant, and a bear).
I had not heard of it, but I looked it up and sounds really cool! I'll try and look out for it.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I enjoyed City on the Edge of Battle many orders of magnitude more than Shin Godzilla.

Not even saying that to troll, or to imply that some areas (like the filmcraft) aren't still superior in Shin. But I found the characters more enjoyable, the character conflicts more interesting, the concepts thrown around more intriguing, and the politics between factions more engaging. (It goes without saying that I also found it a major improvement over Monster Planet).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I also agree. If you look at G:TS, they've got a mutant rhino and shrew that made good opponents for Godzilla. There are any number of mammals that would make good kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I don't really care for Mothra. I don't hate her by any means, but she cannot win a fight on her own and that's kind of annoying. I kind of like her (especially when she gets upgrades like in 1992 & GMK), just not as much as other kaiju.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

HillyHulk wrote:I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I don't really care for Mothra. I don't hate her by any means, but she cannot win a fight on her own and that's kind of annoying. I kind of like her (especially when she gets upgrades like in 1992 & GMK), just not as much as other kaiju.
Have you watched any of the "Rebirth of Mothra" movies? The Mothra featured in those is unquestionably stronger than pretty much any of the other ones, and has plenty of interesting transformations to boot. As much as I enjoy a more vanilla Mothra like the one from '61/'64, Mothra Leo's insane assortment of projectiles are just as fun to watch.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

GigaBowserG wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I don't really care for Mothra. I don't hate her by any means, but she cannot win a fight on her own and that's kind of annoying. I kind of like her (especially when she gets upgrades like in 1992 & GMK), just not as much as other kaiju.
Have you watched any of the "Rebirth of Mothra" movies? The Mothra featured in those is unquestionably stronger than pretty much any of the other ones, and has plenty of interesting transformations to boot. As much as I enjoy a more vanilla Mothra like the one from '61/'64, Mothra Leo's insane assortment of projectiles are just as fun to watch.
That's the thing: that isn't Mothra. Mothra Leo is a different kaiju and even he couldn't win his fights alone. By the way, yes I have.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

HillyHulk wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
That's the thing: that isn't Mothra. Mothra Leo is a different kaiju and even he couldn't win his fights alone. By the way, yes I have.
If it's actual Mothras you want, I can recommend the 61 orginal, Mothra vs Godzilla, and Tokyo S.O.S. Easily the best Mothras who are pretty strong too.

RIP Evan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My appreciation for a kaiju has no connection to their record for winning fights, which is an incredibly shallow metric for valuing characters.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Ivo-goji wrote:My appreciation for a kaiju has no connection to their record for winning fights, which is an incredibly shallow metric for valuing characters.
Agreed. Godzilla has lost fights and he's still my favorite kaiju.

(That loss to those mothra larva's dont count though stupidestest thing EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ;)
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Ivo-goji wrote:My appreciation for a kaiju has no connection to their record for winning fights, which is an incredibly shallow metric for valuing characters.
Frankly, I don't feel a kaiju is very credible if they're co-dependent and face it, Mothra is. Mothra Leo, while also needing help, at least does the fighting portion alone (best example being his fight with Cretaceous King Ghidorah). That's my point; not the winning (Gigan never won a fight and it's still cool in my book), it's whether or not they can handle their problems by themselves. Examples for my point being Godzilla vs Mothra, Battle For Earth, GMK, Tokyo SOS, and Final Wars: none of the wins she gets, she gets by herself (assuming she survives at all).
Last edited by HillyHulk on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

^Very curious what you mean by "credible."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

eabaker wrote:^Very curious what you mean by "credible."
I mean they can handle things without needing help all the time. My example would be Biollante: when she fought Godzilla, not only did she fight him by herself, but she won (kind of since he didn't die). Mothra can't win against Godzilla alone, plain and simple. These kaiju are fighters, so I judge them as fighters and Mothra is not a fair fighter.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

HillyHulk wrote: Frankly, I don't feel a kaiju is very credible if they're co-dependent
And I think that's completely shallow minded.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

HillyHulk wrote:Examples for my point being Godzilla vs Mothra, Battle For Earth, GMK, Tokyo SOS, and Final Wars: none of the wins she gets, she gets by herself (assuming she survives at all).
Mothra beats Gigan with no help in Final Wars.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Dr. Professor wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:Examples for my point being Godzilla vs Mothra, Battle For Earth, GMK, Tokyo SOS, and Final Wars: none of the wins she gets, she gets by herself (assuming she survives at all).
Mothra beats Gigan with no help in Final Wars.
Technically, yes she did. Gigan had her dead to rights, but it wound up changing targets to Godzilla. Therefore, although that's one of the best fights on her belt mind, she did have help just like every other fight she has. Now, can we all just agree to disagree & get off my back? Also, let me elaborate on the "co-dependent" thing. When I said that, I mean she's supposed to be a stand alone kaiju with support (she is a goddess).
Explain this to me: how is it that this "goddess" can't do anything herself? With other kaiju that aren't written to be independent (like the M.U.T.O for example: no they're not independent, but that's the idea) or part of a team already (no, you're not entirely independent, that's the idea of a team, helping each other), that's acceptable. Mothra has neither excuse: if she really is some kind of goddess, she's not a very good one if she can't fight her own battles. Before you say anything, no that isn't what I said before; I wasn't thinking about elaborating then.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.