Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Spuro »

I’m going to get really unpopular with this one...

I think the Millennium series is overall better than the Heisei series, for three primary, all controversial reasons. I hope you’re sitting down.

1) I think the best Heisei film is RoG, and the best Millennium film is GMK. GMK>ROG.
2) I think the second best Heisei film is GvB, and the second best Millennium film is GxMG. GxMG>GvB.
3) I think the third best Heisei film is GvD, and the best Millennium film is G2K. G2K>GvD.

There you have it. In my book, the three best Millennium films beat out each of the best Heisei films.

There’s a number of unpopular opinions there. Thinking that GxMG is better than G2K. Thinking GvD is better than GvKG. Thinking ROG is better than GvB. But by far the biggest one, and the one I’m sure to piss people off with: thinking GxMG is better than GvB. ;)

Bwahahahahaha
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

godjacob wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:21 amand felt the fighting in it offered something better than the beam spams of the Heisei Series and the Kaiju kung fu of the later Showa films.
I definitely agree with this - it was refreshing to go back to the more animalistic physical fights of the earlier Showa films.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:56 am I’m sure to piss people goji89 off with: thinking GxMG is better than GvB. ;)

Bwahahahahaha
I CAN'T compute such a statement at this moment. I just can't think straight and how much I want to go to where you live and just powerbomb you through a damn table.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

We doing unpopular Millenium opinons?

Aight, I'm gonna drop this one again.

Despite Final Wars being an over all mess (a fun one to me at least), Ryuhei Kitamura was the only non-Kaneko director to do a unique Godzilla film with the no guideline plans of the Millenium series.

G2K and the Tezuka films are better movies (well, most of them, again S.O.S frustrates the fuck out of me) but they're basically the same as any Heisei flick without the continuity. GMK and GFW genuinely feel like directors getting the freedom to make something their own with the Godzilla series.

RIP Evan.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Oh yeah, Final Wars definitely feels like a singular director's vision...it's just such a waste, because Kitamura's vision is terrible in every way. Just imagine if Kaneko had been given that much free reign with that kind of budget...man.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:42 pm Oh yeah, Final Wars definitely feels like a singular director's vision...it's just such a waste, because Kitamura's vision is terrible in every way. Just imagine if Kaneko had been given that much free reign with that kind of budget...man.
Oh god....

The best timeline........

RIP Evan.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Indeed. Also, I'm actually kind of amazed that Toho decided to take such a risk with Anno in 2016 - does anyone know why this occurred? Was there a major shift in the company's management or something? I'm just glad Shin Godzilla succeeded the way it did...I'm pretty damn optimistic for the future of Toho kaiju eiga.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I'm currently rewatching all the films and I just finished the Millenium era and I was surprised how much of it I actually liked. Godzilla 2000 and GMK are two of my favorites. 2000 has a great aesthetic and I really like characters. GMK is so inventive and presents a fascinating new take on Godzilla and what he symbolizes. Plus it looks good. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla's got a great human story and I love the way Godzilla and Kiryu are both worked into it. Tokyo S.O.S. is weak but I do really appreciate what it was going for with its ending. Plus the visuals and music are on point. Final Wars is garbage, but it's a fun garbage, like Advent Children. I recently watched it with my housemates and we had a ball with how bad it is.

Megaguirus is honestly the low point. It's dull and serves as rough draft for Tezuka's next film. It's one of the most "just another Godzilla movie" feeling things out there. I think in technicality it's better than Final Wars but that at least is bad in a funny way. Megaguirus is just boring outside of megaguirus having a cool design.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well, I guess it’s unpopular to not like the MonsterVerse MG design, with a lot of the member’s posts I’ve seen in mind.
For Emperor and Empire!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

is it unpopular that I enjoy KotM and GvK equally?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:05 am Well, I guess it’s unpopular to not like the MonsterVerse MG design, with a lot of the member’s posts I’ve seen in mind.
I've warmed to Mothra but I'm still not a fan. Also not a fan of the slinking Ghidorah. I like the design fine but I really hate how he was filmed most the time. Ghidorah is typically portrayed as a huge, imposing, but majestic monolith that towers over the other monsters. MV Ghidorah is constantly slithering around and hunching over. I get the idea giving him more serpentine movements but I don't think it fits with the idea of what Ghidorah should be.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:09 am
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:05 am Well, I guess it’s unpopular to not like the MonsterVerse MG design, with a lot of the member’s posts I’ve seen in mind.
I've warmed to Mothra but I'm still not a fan. Also not a fan of the slinking Ghidorah. I like the design fine but I really hate how he was filmed most the time. Ghidorah is typically portrayed as a huge, imposing, but majestic monolith that towers over the other monsters. MV Ghidorah is constantly slithering around and hunching over.
I love Mothra’s KOTM design, but I agree with you on Ghidorah.
For Emperor and Empire!

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I've warmed to Mothra but I'm still not a fan. Also not a fan of the slinking Ghidorah. I like the design fine but I really hate how he was filmed most the time. Ghidorah is typically portrayed as a huge, imposing, but majestic monolith that towers over the other monsters. MV Ghidorah is constantly slithering around and hunching over. I get the idea giving him more serpentine movements but I don't think it fits with the idea of what Ghidorah should be.
I agree with this, actually. In terms of raw design, I actually think 2019 is quite possibly the best one so far, and he is portrayed pretty well as a whole, but the fact that he is much more snake-like kinda diminishes his on-screen presence. He comes across as more sinister than imposing, if that makes sense.

On the subject of Ghidorah though, and I'm not sure how unpopular this is: with a few tweaks to its design, Keizer Ghidorah would probably be one of my favorite Godzilla monsters. I think he could make a cool contrast to King Ghidorah; King would be the shining, regal, and tyrannical one, while Keizer would be the dark, maniacal, and sadistic one. I even like that it is a four-legged monster as well, even with the wings look like rubbish.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

Oh, and also this: I am not too hot on Mecha-King Ghidorah. In general, I seem not to like Mecha-Kaiju that much, and while I will say that I appreciate MKG being more of a cyborg, I still don't know if I like the idea that much; no monster is really that intimidating when a human can control it, let alone the planet destroying King himself.
Last edited by Keizer on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 am Oh, and also this: I am not too hot on Mecha-King Ghidorah. In general, I seem not to like Mecha-Kaiju that much, and while I will say that I appreciate MKG being more of a cyborg, I still don't know if I like the idea that much; no monster is really that intimidating when a human can control it, let alone the planet destroying King himself.
I mean the original King Ghidorah in the Showa Era was passed around like a mind-controlled toy among every alien race under the sun, so really his reputation as this planet destroying chaotic force was already kinda hurt by his use in all but one of his appearances. I don't see how making Heisei (Who also was a mind controlled pawn) a cyborg diminishes this anymore than beforehand.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 am
Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 am Oh, and also this: I am not too hot on Mecha-King Ghidorah. In general, I seem not to like Mecha-Kaiju that much, and while I will say that I appreciate MKG being more of a cyborg, I still don't know if I like the idea that much; no monster is really that intimidating when a human can control it, let alone the planet destroying King himself.
I mean the original King Ghidorah in the Showa Era was passed around like a mind-controlled toy among every alien race under the sun, so really his reputation as this planet destroying chaotic force was already kinda hurt by his use in all but one of his appearances. I don't see how making Heisei (Who also was a mind controlled pawn) a cyborg diminishes this anymore than beforehand.
True. That's probably why I tend to be fond of the 1998 and 2019 ones, as well as his first appearance, and probably another reason I tend to not like the second half of the Showa era that much. I like Ghidorah most when he is a towering, unstoppable, uncontrollable, planet-destroying behemoth; not when is is just someone's heavyweight. I suppose that is just a "thing" with me; I don't like Kaiju that can be controlled, either by mind-control, or it being a robot. Not sure why.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:05 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 am
True. That's probably why I tend to be fond of the 1998 and 2019 ones, as well as his first appearance, and probably another reason I tend to not like the second half of the Showa era that much. I like Ghidorah most when he is a towering, unstoppable, uncontrollable, planet-destroying behemoth; not when is is just someone's heavyweight. I suppose that is just a "thing" with me; I don't like Kaiju that can be controlled, either by mind-control, or it being a robot. Not sure why.
I mean Ghidorah in the Showa was made a pawn as early as 1965. The very second film he appeared in, and become an issue with him thereafter. Which I agree is a shame.

Probably a similar reason MV Ghidorah is my fav version of the character: Agency. It is nice when a creature acts upon their own interests rather than being told what to do by someone else. Especially when that creature is supposed to be this invading planetary threat, can make it feel cheap when they then basically exist to be a walking gun by some group of humans/aliens.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Out of all the Godzilla movies I have seen I think the monsterverse are the best ones except for Gojira 1954

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly don't care for a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie anymore. There's so many other things you could do with a future Gamera movie, that i feel like starting with a crossover movie without giving him a chance to stand back on his own two feet first feels.. really dull. I'm sure if it ever happens it would be a good movie, but i wanna see Gamera fly solo again.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 am
I agree with this, actually. In terms of raw design, I actually think 2019 is quite possibly the best one so far, and he is portrayed pretty well as a whole, but the fact that he is much more snake-like kinda diminishes his on-screen presence. He comes across as more sinister than imposing, if that makes sense.

On the subject of Ghidorah though, and I'm not sure how unpopular this is: with a few tweaks to its design, Keizer Ghidorah would probably be one of my favorite Godzilla monsters. I think he could make a cool contrast to King Ghidorah; King would be the shining, regal, and tyrannical one, while Keizer would be the dark, maniacal, and sadistic one. I even like that it is a four-legged monster as well, even with the wings look like rubbish.
I like your idea on the King/Keizer contrast. But the one thing about Keizer Ghidorah’s design that irks me to no end, is his stupid little rat tails.

Edit: My opinion for this post is that I’m sad KG and MG have never truly been in the same movie.
Spoiler:
Yeah sure, KG is piloting MG in GvK, but you never see the two monsters being there, side by side, or against each other, which is what I want.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!