Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Showa Minya is the best version of Godzilla’s children.
SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK
SHOWA MINYA IS GOD. JUNIOR IS AN UNFIT CLOWN.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

HELL YEAH! Minya fights his own battles, ya know. And unlike Junior, he wins them. 8-)
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I mean, Junior won against an early form of Destroyer. Not so much against the final form.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Living Corpse wrote:I mean, Junior won against an early form of Destroyer. Not so much against the final form.
Yeah, and by doing so, he made him evolve into his final, most deadliest form.

Which was a GREAT JOB, Junior. We should start pouring gasoline on fires to put them out with that logic.

For real, Junior is well designed and has some great moments in GVMG2 and Destoryah, but suffers from a deplorable lack of personality in them.

Added in 27 seconds:
I will say he's cute and endearing in GVSG though

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I mean, Junior won against an early form of Destroyer. Not so much against the final form.
Yeah, and by doing so, he made him evolve into his final, most deadliest form.

Which was a GREAT JOB, Junior. We should start pouring gasoline on fires to put them out with that logic.

For real, Junior is well designed and has some great moments in GVMG2 and Destoryah, but suffers from a deplorable lack of personality in them.

Added in 27 seconds:
I will say he's cute and endearing in GVSG though
Like he was supposed to know. They fought in the day and it wasn't till night it finished transforming. Actually yeah Destroyer seems slow in his mutations, took 41 years to show up after being hit by the Oxygen Destroyer. The hell were they doing? hibernating?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Living Corpse wrote:Actually yeah Destroyer seems slow in his mutations, took 41 years to show up after being hit by the Oxygen Destroyer. The hell were they doing? hibernating?

Weren't they woken up by the new microxygen experiments? that's what they said got them up, iirc.

RIP Evan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Actually yeah Destroyer seems slow in his mutations, took 41 years to show up after being hit by the Oxygen Destroyer. The hell were they doing? hibernating?

Weren't they woken up by the new microxygen experiments? that's what they said got them up, iirc.
I believe it was the construction on the Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line.

Also bad screenwriting.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

Also bad screenwriting.
Yeah, it's always felt to me like Destroyah's arrival and the new micro-oxygen experiments were purely coincidental, which is a pretty poor storytelling choice.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

Also bad screenwriting.
Yeah, it's always felt to me like Destroyah's arrival and the new micro-oxygen experiments were purely coincidental, which is a pretty poor storytelling choice.
I'm not sure how much sense it would make, but wouldn't it have been interesting if instead of it being due to a coincidence. The Destroyah colony had been awoken by the radiation from the Soviet Nuclear missile in 1984, and because of that they had been steadily growing ever since with the Aqualane rupture only accelerating their growth and evolution

I think that would have been a great way to tie the beginning and end of the series together in a very interesting way. It would also provide a nice parallel from the Sea Louse in 84 and the Destroyah colony from GVD both being naturally small animal organisms that became gigantic thanks to radiation

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That would be a good way to link up the start and finish of one era, but Toho wanted to link up the whole series. Hence the cameos of Emiko.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gojirin's transliterated name should be Godzillin, not Godzilly.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I thought it was Micro-Oxygen being released that woke up the Destroyer since it's made out of the same chemicals as the Oxygen Destroyer.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Living Corpse wrote:I thought it was Micro-Oxygen being released that woke up the Destroyer since it's made out of the same chemicals as the Oxygen Destroyer.
Far as my tiny brain recalls, the Oxygen Destroyer woke them up, but it took 40 years before they evolved enough to be a threat.
Last edited by Gomi: Ninja Monster on Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Living Corpse wrote:I thought it was Micro-Oxygen being released that woke up the Destroyer since it's made out of the same chemicals as the Oxygen Destroyer.
No, the Destoroyahs' appearance and mutation are completely unrelated to Dr. Ijuin's oxygen experiments. In fact, his experiments never leave his lab and are presumably concluded before the events of the film.

The prehistoric animals were exposed to and mutated by the Oxygen Destroyer in 1954, and once they're discovered, Ijuin proposes the idea that they'd been mutating steadily since. Meanwhile, they're responsible for the accidents at the Aqua-Line construction site in Tokyo Bay. Dr. Ijuin goes to the scene to collect some strata samples; he tells Yukari that the purpose of this is to study the soil for clues about life from the Precambrian era. Only later in the lab does one of his assistants discover that one of the samples contains lifeforms (the micro Destoroyahs).

Although the film certainly doesn't explain it clearly, the implication is that the tunnel project is one of two incidents which unleashes the creatures from the strata at the bottom of Tokyo Bay. The other is the soil test at Ijuin's lab, where he discovers that the creatures had escaped from one of the beakers. However, as said, there's nothing in the film which suggests that Ijuin's own Micro-oxygen ever comes in contact with the creatures in his lab.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Terasawa wrote:
No, the Destoroyahs' appearance and mutation are completely unrelated to Dr. Ijuin's oxygen experiments. In fact, his experiments never leave his lab and are presumably concluded before the events of the film.

The prehistoric animals were exposed to and mutated by the Oxygen Destroyer in 1954, and once they're discovered, Ijuin proposes the idea that they'd been mutating steadily since. Meanwhile, they're responsible for the accidents at the Aqua-Line construction site in Tokyo Bay. Dr. Ijuin goes to the scene to collect some strata samples; he tells Yukari that the purpose of this is to study the soil for clues about life from the Precambrian era. Only later in the lab does one of his assistants discover that one of the samples contains lifeforms (the micro Destoroyahs).

Although the film certainly doesn't explain it clearly, the implication is that the tunnel project is one of two incidents which unleashes the creatures from the strata at the bottom of Tokyo Bay. The other is the soil test at Ijuin's lab, where he discovers that the creatures had escaped from one of the beakers. However, as said, there's nothing in the film which suggests that Ijuin's own Micro-oxygen ever comes in contact with the creatures in his lab.
I could have sworn he had a line saying "it might be too late, Micro-Oxygen was already been released to the world" but that could have been a dumb dub mistake.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

I could have sworn he had a line saying "it might be too late, Micro-Oxygen was already been released to the world" but that could have been a dumb dub mistake.
Well, Micro-Oxygen was released, in 1954.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

Well, Micro-Oxygen was released, in 1954.
He literally has a line saying "I know Micro-Oxygen, and it doesn't have that kind of power" when Destroyer combine into one giant, implying it's been released out into the world, as in the more peaceful application version, not the devil's weapon Dr. Serizawa made.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

As I said, according to the subtitle track on Sony's Blu-ray, Dr. Ijuin's Micro-oxygen has no connection to Destoroyah.

I wish they hadn't tried to blur the line between Micro-oxygen and Serizawa's discovery. At times we're told they're the same thing and then at others they're said to be different. However, I think the line LC mentioned is supposed to mean the destructive power of Destoroyah is akin to the Oxygen Destroyer, and not Micro-oxygen (which is not the weaponized form of the chemical).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I doubt this is an unpopular opinion but Godzilla's Revenge should have absolutely no bearing on Minya as a character. Its likely a one off film that doesn't connect at all with the main continuity. Nothing that happens in the movie is "real" in context to the rest of the Showa filmography. Its unfair to Minya to use this film as an excuse to write him off.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I doubt this is an unpopular opinion but Godzilla's Revenge should have absolutely no bearing on Minya as a character. Its likely a one off film that doesn't connect at all with the main continuity. Nothing that happens in the movie is "real" in context to the rest of the Showa filmography. Its unfair to Minya to use this film as an excuse to write him off.
It's much harder to keep this in mind when Revenge was your first exposure to the character, and for nearly a decade, your ONLY exposure to the character.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.