Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by edgaguirus »

Kroiga works better for me. Black Moth sounds like a giant insect, not a winged lion. As for the kaiju itself, I like it. The design has a mythological vibe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

edgaguirus wrote:Kroiga works better for me. Black Moth sounds like a giant insect, not a winged lion. As for the kaiju itself, I like it. The design has a mythological vibe.
The name "Black Moth" makes me think of Battra, not a flying lion.
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't like Heisei Mechagodzilla.

I think, the concept behind it is cool, but it just looks and acts too much like a fridge for me. Like i don't think it's a terrible mech, i just think the execution is unmemorable. Especially in comparison with the likes of MG74 and Kiryu.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:I don't like Heisei Mechagodzilla.

I think, the concept behind it is cool, but it just looks and acts too much like a fridge for me. Like i don't think it's a terrible mech, i just think the execution is unmemorable. Especially in comparison with the likes of MG74 and Kiryu.
I'm not really sure how unpopular this is. Most people i know called Heisei there least favorite Mechagodzilla. Well until Anime came along.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I still think Heisei is worst than the anime Mechagodzilla. The anime Mechagodzilla may have been a bait and switch, but least the concept was potentially something. Heisei Mechagodzilla was a souless laser gun with nothing interesting to speak of.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Heisei Mechagodzilla isn't really supposed to have a personality or a soul, though. The fact that it's essentially a big walking gun with no natural spark of life is thematically essential to the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote:Heisei Mechagodzilla isn't really supposed to have a personality or a soul, though. The fact that it's essentially a big walking gun with no natural spark of life is thematically essential to the movie.
I understand that, but the first Godzilla filled the living weapon angle better and had more flair to it. Not to mention Heisei Godzilla was so immobile it led to some of the most bland beam spam fights in the series so it wasn't even enjoyable to watch it go to work.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote:
eabaker wrote:Heisei Mechagodzilla isn't really supposed to have a personality or a soul, though. The fact that it's essentially a big walking gun with no natural spark of life is thematically essential to the movie.
I understand that, but the first Godzilla filled the living weapon angle better and had more flair to it. Not to mention Heisei Godzilla was so immobile it led to some of the most bland beam spam fights in the series so it wasn't even enjoyable to watch it go to work.
Oh, I definitely wouldn't put the Heisei version on the same tier as the Showa incarnation, not for a second. I just think it takes an unfair rap when its design and presentation totally fulfill the needs of the movie. And I think something with more flair to it would in some ways be very much the wrong choice for this movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

That's why I like it and its Heisei Moguera counterpart. They're large walking artillery platforms built simply to protect humanity and I love that concept.

Design wise though I kind of wish Heisei MG was more blocky and industrial looking to fit that idea a little more. Something along the lines
of the Ohrai concepts I think could've worked.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
That's why I like it and its Heisei Moguera counterpart. They're large walking artillery platforms built simply to protect humanity and I love that concept..
Well, at least until the Godzilla Unleashed website had him spinning and calling out his name.

Or is that just me who likes that?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
That's why I like it and its Heisei Moguera counterpart. They're large walking artillery platforms built simply to protect humanity and I love that concept.

Design wise though I kind of wish Heisei MG was more blocky and industrial looking to fit that idea a little more. Something along the lines
of the Ohrai concepts I think could've worked.

I think that first red design in the concept art would have been interesting to see.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I prefer Final Wars to Destroy All Monsters. Final Wars is at least entertaining, DAM is just boring as hell.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I prefer Final Wars to Destroy All Monsters. Final Wars is at least entertaining, DAM is just boring as hell.
I do like the human plotline better in DAM, but i have to agree Final Wars is a lot more fun.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I prefer Final Wars to Destroy All Monsters. Final Wars is at least entertaining, DAM is just boring as hell.
THANK YOU!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DAM isn't the best or even the most enjoyable Godzilla film (YMMV) but I don't think its boring at all. Whether a movie is boring or not is obviously going to vary from person to person: for example, I think GFW is awfully dull. Sure, a lot happens, but none of it captures or maintains my interest at all. Most of GFW's run time is action that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Not Godzilla, but Gamera: Super Monster is my favorite Showa Gamera film.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dr. Professor wrote:Not Godzilla, but Gamera: Super Monster is my favorite Showa Gamera film.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Dr. Professor wrote:Not Godzilla, but Gamera: Super Monster is my favorite Showa Gamera film.
While it's not my favorite, I think it's overhated in the discussion of the Gamera movies. I enjoyed it more than most of the Showa movies with the only exceptions being Viras and Guiron. I think more people would like it if it was given more of a budget so they can work with the monster scenes better.

The stock footage is a bad decision, but the human scenes are surprisingly a good time. Seeing the kid hanging out with the space women is wholesome and cute. I just wish the scenes with Gamera were better.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: The stock footage is a bad decision, but the human scenes are surprisingly a good time. Seeing the kid hanging out with the space women is wholesome and cute. I just wish the scenes with Gamera were better.
Yeah the characters are what sets it above the rest for me. I found them genuinely fun and engaging, which I can't say for the majority of the other Showa Gamera characters, despite my affection for most of those films.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I find the DAM lags in a few spots and could be shorter as for GFW that movie sucked Showa MG space Titanium balls, but...( there is a but) it had it's moments and cool scenes, if you don't have at least one scene in particular from that film you liked then like Cranston said "You're lying"