Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GmkGoji wrote:A LOT of people say they hate it because of Minilla. I personally find him fine.
The intent is for him to be annoying. Godzilla finds him annoying! Babies are annoying!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Minilla is honestly my favorite out of all Godzilla's kids
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

"Minilla" is by far my least favorite spelling of the character's name. I get that it's a logical way to translate "Minira" (mini-gojira) to English (mini-godzilla), but the spelling doesn't suggest a pronunciation that would actually sound like "mini Godzilla" (really, to Western audiences, "Minizilla" would make a lot more sense), and it just looks hideous.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

eabaker wrote:"Minilla" is by far my least favorite spelling of the character's name. I get that it's a logical way to translate "Minira" (mini-gojira) to English (mini-godzilla), but the spelling doesn't suggest a pronunciation that would actually sound like "mini Godzilla" (really, to Western audiences, "Minizilla" would make a lot more sense), and it just looks hideous.
Never called the character minilla either tbh, its always been minya,

That being said prefer calling ghidorah "ghidrah" as i think the name sounds better

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

“Minilla” is right up there with “Kamacuras”, “King Caesar”, “Destoroyah”, and “Desghidorah”. All awful names for one reason or another.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Terasawa wrote:“Minilla” is right up there with “Kamacuras”, “King Caesar”, “Destoroyah”, and “Desghidorah”. All awful names for one reason or another.
id agree with kamacuras and desghidorah, destroyah and king caesar not so much, now the 50 ways to say anguirus oh boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

realinvaderdesign wrote:
eabaker wrote:"Minilla" is by far my least favorite spelling of the character's name. I get that it's a logical way to translate "Minira" (mini-gojira) to English (mini-godzilla), but the spelling doesn't suggest a pronunciation that would actually sound like "mini Godzilla" (really, to Western audiences, "Minizilla" would make a lot more sense), and it just looks hideous.
Never called the character minilla either tbh, its always been minya,

That being said prefer calling ghidorah "ghidrah" as i think the name sounds better
Yeah, although technically "ghidorah" is the more accurate transliteration, English speakers have a tendency to place the emphasis on the "o." The "ghidrah" spelling results in a more even emphasis, which is more accurate to how the name is pronounced in Japanese.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

realinvaderdesign wrote:
Terasawa wrote:“Minilla” is right up there with “Kamacuras”, “King Caesar”, “Destoroyah”, and “Desghidorah”. All awful names for one reason or another.
id agree with kamacuras and desghidorah, destroyah and king caesar not so much, now the 50 ways to say anguirus oh boy
There are a couple of reasons why I hate “King Caesar,” but mainly because it doesn’t reflect the character’s original name or origin. And at least the previous Anglicized name, “King Seeser,” seems like it could be foreign in nature. “King Caesar” does not.

“Destoroyah” is just a really bad Romanization. The Japanese name, of course, is a transliteration of “Destroyer,” which should have been the character’s English name if not for trademark issues.

The official spelling is “Destoroyah” (two o’s); it wouldn’t be so bad if it was spelled “Destroyah,” as you did in your post. I don’t think most fans are even aware of the first “o,” which is a useless carryover from the Japanese pronunciation.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:
There are a couple of reasons why I hate “King Caesar,” but mainly because it doesn’t reflect the character’s original name or origin. And at least the previous Anglicized name, “King Seeser,” seems like it could be foreign in nature. “King Caesar” does not.

“Destoroyah” is just a really bad Romanization. The Japanese name, of course, is a transliteration of “Destroyer,” which should have been the character’s English name if not for trademark issues.

The official spelling is “Destoroyah” (two o’s); it wouldn’t be so bad if it was spelled “Destroyah,” as you did in your post. I don’t think most fans are even aware of the first “o,” which is a useless carryover from the Japanese pronunciation.
At least we don't have to worry about saying "King Seesaw", which is what he was called in the old Famous Monsters of Filmland issue that had the cover article about Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla when it was called Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster (and the name of this kaiju is just one of the many screw-ups that that article made about the film (don't even get me started about the part where the article substitutes King Ghidorah for Anguirus as the opponent to the disguised Mechagodzilla in the film's first kaiju fight)).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: The official spelling is “Destoroyah” (two o’s); it wouldn’t be so bad if it was spelled “Destroyah,” as you did in your post. I don’t think most fans are even aware of the first “o,” which is a useless carryover from the Japanese pronunciation.
I think the most recent console video games even pronounce it as "des-toro-yah" not "destroy-ah" which just sounds awkward.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:The Japanese name, of course, is a transliteration of “Destroyer,”
Although it's worth noting that the katakana for his name ends with "i+a," whereas the oxygen destroyer in katakana ends with "i+ya," so it seems like there was some effort made to distinguish the monster's name from the word "destroyer" even in Japanese.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:
We've had this conversation before, but definitely. Shisa, it's literal name in Japanese, is a type of statue, that King Shisa literally is.
I disagree for reasons I'm about to state.
eabaker wrote:Although it's worth noting that the katakana for his name ends with "i+a," whereas the oxygen destroyer in katakana ends with "i+ya," so it seems like there was some effort made to distinguish the monster's name from the word "destroyer" even in Japanese.
デストロイア
The part I italicized is DESUTORO, where DESTRO comes from. It's worth noting, that SU sounds in Japanese are much less pronounced and subtle (anyone who says DesUUUUUUU is wrong, its more like Des).
As you point out, the its IA versus IYA. That's the part in bold.

The japanese alphabet system naturally lacks a YE sound, at least without using compounds.

DESUTOROIA
Destroyah, in Japanese, follows the theme of a three syllable word, that ends in a A/AH/RA sound. GO-JI-RA,MO-SU-RA, GI-DO-RA, GE-ZO-RA, HE-DO-RA, DESU-TROI-A. There's lots of exceptions of course.
Destroyah is a really cool name imo.

Added in 5 minutes 2 seconds:
Regarding Minilla, it's strange because I always say Minya, but still write out Minilla.

Maybe I should just say Minira.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

“Destroyah,” which you used, is a different name than “Destoroyah,” which has always been Toho’s official name. I’m not crazy about the “yah” part of the name, but it’s not a huge deal. However, as I said, the part I hate about the official name is “to,” which most fans are seemingly unaware of. That’s how useless that “o” is in the Anglicized version of the name. As I said, it’s an unnecessary carryover from the Japanese system.

I stand corrected on the katakana spelling of “Destroyer,” although I promise I knew there was a difference between the monster’s name and the transliteration of “destroyer.” I just got them mixed up. (:
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:“Destroyah,” which you used, is a different name than “Destoroyah,” which has always been Toho’s official name. I’m not crazy about the “yah” part of the name, but it’s not a huge deal. However, as I said, the part I hate about the official name is “to,” which most fans are seemingly unaware of. That’s how useless that “o” is in the Anglicized version of the name. As I said, it’s an unnecessary carryover from the Japanese system.

I stand corrected on the katakana spelling of “Destroyer,” although I promise I knew there was a difference between the monster’s name and the transliteration of “destroyer.”
Oh fuck, you literally pointed out how my mind auto-completes Destoroyah into Destroyah. Now that I think about it, I'm curious if I ever have used the proper spelling. Yeah, totally then, the TORO instead of TRO is really dumb.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, it’s such a strange vestigial part of the Japanese name that makes no sense in English, at least in this context (where the name is supposed to evoke “Destroyer”).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

There is a prevailing armchair theory among Toho bootlickers uneducated individuals that the Godzilla films of the 1950s through 1970s were somehow shot and edited with inherently inferior, cheaper film technology than those of the United States and Europe.

None of this is actually true, however. While it is true some select titles have had a rougher time with preservation than others, these films were shot with basically exact same lenses and stock as their Western contemporaries, and these "observations" are actually an attempt to justify the intentionally mediocre presentations on video these films have constantly received.

So yeah, it's an unpopular opinion to want the bare minimum standard of quality in HD video in the year 2019 out of these movies. Apparently you're a contrarian if you want these films presented with the same visual splendor as their Hollywood counterparts.

After all, these are just cheap, cheesy foreign films involving rubber suits and cardboard buildings.
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Damn........for a second there thought I was in the Criterion thread .......

It's bleeding out........contain it, contain it......plug it up.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^This is what a valid discussion gets you on this site. :roll:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Terasawa wrote:^This is what a valid discussion gets you on this site. :roll:
We've all heard it a million times in its own proper thread.....why do we need to suffer hearing it here too.

You know you whine too much about this site also.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote:^This is what a valid discussion gets you on this site. :roll:
Hes obviously kidding
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.