Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gerdzerl

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Gerdzerl »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:Yeah, I don't think Kong has fought another giant ape yet. It'd be interesting to see what could be done with that.

Speaking of future Kong enemies, I think a giant cat, bird, rhino, elephant, or shark would be cool. Dinosaurs are certainly cool enemies for him to fight and all, but I think Kong deserves to have his own unique and varied pantheon of friends and foes just like Godzilla does, y'know?
I'd be honestly down for a saber-toothed cat type monster. Being my favorite prehistoric non-dinosaur animal. :)
That'd be cool!

HodariNundu drew a picture of just such an idea once and now I want to see this occur in a future King Kong film really badly now. Let's give the dinosaurs a break and expand to new horizons. :D

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's really a shock to me that both Godzilla and Kong have not fought another of their species in the entirety of their film history.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Does Space Godzilla count? I guess he's more of a clone than another individual of the same species, but still.

And then you have Kiryu, of course. The original Godzilla's bones and DNA were part of him, so he should qualify to some extent.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I guess they would, but I'm more talking about two 100% pure Godzillas going at each other. I guess Toho just likes the idea of Godzilla being the last of his kind.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ So do I, really. I'm okay with the idea of a newly-hatched juvenile being around, but another ancient adult... not as much. I mean, obviously most of the series' Godzillas are in fact that second adult, with the original having died in the first movie, but that's kind of a technicality that can't be helped. I just sort of hand-wave that detail away in how I look at the movies. :lol:

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of seeing Godzilla fight another true member of his species if Toho ever did go that route. It'd be interesting, for sure.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla fighting another one of his kind sounds pretty boring tbh on paper. What could be done to make it interesting?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Godzillian wrote:Godzilla fighting another one of his kind sounds pretty boring tbh on paper. What could be done to make it interesting?
Another member of the same species that is deemed as "the alpha", while the Godzilla we've seen on screen is considered a "runt". Sorta how in certain animals there is a naturally stronger male version that has distinct differences that have it stand out from the others besides the bigger and stronger trope. We can have a "good"/passive Godzilla fight against the more aggressive species Alpha/bull because in their species only 1 can exist. To become the bull, you must have fought for it, and the body changes and adapts. Showing that his other aggressive Godzilla has not only fought numerous times but has slain an unknown amount of other Godzilla's. It can satisfy the need for a heroic and villain role of Godzilla while exploring his species a bit more. Or you can scratch the latter part and just have this Godzilla be a feral genetic mutation (genetic anomaly brought out the worst traits in the species).

Seems lame with how I explained it - but the concept is there.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Finally watched the full, unpirated Shin Godzilla on blu-ray today.

Really awesome, but I don't think it's nearly as good as lot of people have been claiming.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I adore the designs of the kaiju in the ROM series, though the films themselves are trash

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Godzillian wrote:I adore the designs of the kaiju in the ROM series, though the films themselves are trash

Agree, Grand King Ghidorah is personally my favorite version of Ghidorah

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Cretaceous Ghidorah is probably my second favorite, right behind the original Showa.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzillian wrote:I adore the designs of the kaiju in the ROM series, though the films themselves are trash
That's the only highlight of the movies and honestly only reason I watch them to begin with.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

For me it's Dagahra. He's the most original of the ROM kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

edgaguirus wrote:For me it's Dagahra. He's the most original of the ROM kaiju.
As much as I love Dagahra. Apparently he's not original as he like Gyaos in the Heisei Gamera Trilogy he was created to eat pollution by ancient advanced civilizations before turning on and destroying their creators.

In terms of appearance design though yes.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The pair of rodan in the original film did nothing wrong

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ They ate a bunch of people, didn't they? I mean, from an objective standpoint that's no more wrong than a human eating a turkey, but from the average human's perspective, it's an unforgivable crime.

I haven't seen the movie in several years, but I don't think it actually made them out to be villains, did it? Their deaths were portrayed tragically, if nothing else...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, it's definitely not an ending where you're expected to cheer for their deaths...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

eabaker wrote:Yeah, it's definitely not an ending where you're expected to cheer for their deaths...
I'd say it's as depressing as the ending of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Loganrules115 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Yeah, it's definitely not an ending where you're expected to cheer for their deaths...
I'd say it's as depressing as the ending of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.
This is the unpopular opinions thread, after all. :lol:
I haven't seen Rodan yet, so I can't disagree.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

JAGzilla wrote:^ They ate a bunch of people, didn't they? I mean, from an objective standpoint that's no more wrong than a human eating a turkey, but from the average human's perspective, it's an unforgivable crime.

I haven't seen the movie in several years, but I don't think it actually made them out to be villains, did it? Their deaths were portrayed tragically, if nothing else...
Kaiju gotta eat too