Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Goji »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I love Gorosaurus just for his simple, yet elegant, design. I don't give a shit about power and what-not in the series, the monster's designs are top priority for me. And Goro hits that sweet spot of retrosaur + tokusatsu style.
that's another issue I have, I personally find his design to be quite borring and uninteresting, but hey, to each there own mah friend! If you want to love Gorosaurus, the by all means love him however you want! But he's just not my thing.
This reaction seems excessive. He's literally just a giant dinosaur, and started as a stand in for the T-Rex from the original King Kong. It's that simplicity that makes him popular among the fan base, and represents a time when not every Toho monster had to have horns and lasers shooting out of every part of their body.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Although I guess objectively Godzilla's Revenge is the worst Toho Godzilla film (of course G98 takes that spot) I quite enjoy it- its still a fun film in my opinion.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Although I guess objectively Godzilla's Revenge is the worst Toho Godzilla film (of course G98 takes that spot) I quite enjoy it- its still a fun film in my opinion.
I don't think that it is objectively the worst. Again, at a basic level of narrative and visual sophistication, it totally pummels Megalon, which is just an exceptionally sloppy movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I think Jet Jaguars leagues cooler than Ultraman and Zone Fighter
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Goji wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I love Gorosaurus just for his simple, yet elegant, design. I don't give a shit about power and what-not in the series, the monster's designs are top priority for me. And Goro hits that sweet spot of retrosaur + tokusatsu style.
that's another issue I have, I personally find his design to be quite borring and uninteresting, but hey, to each there own mah friend! If you want to love Gorosaurus, the by all means love him however you want! But he's just not my thing.
This reaction seems excessive. He's literally just a giant dinosaur, and started as a stand in for the T-Rex from the original King Kong. It's that simplicity that makes him popular among the fan base, and represents a time when not every Toho monster had to have horns and lasers shooting out of every part of their body.

I'm not saying I HATE Gorosaurus. Granted, I still don't care for him, but I'm not saying he's the worst kaiju ever. (that'd arguably be Kamacurus, Zilla or Minya imo.) I find him to be very uninteresting and overrated. If everyone else thinks he's cool the fine. As I said, to each their own.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Although I guess objectively Godzilla's Revenge is the worst Toho Godzilla film (of course G98 takes that spot) I quite enjoy it- its still a fun film in my opinion.
I don't think that it is objectively the worst. Again, at a basic level of narrative and visual sophistication, it totally pummels Megalon, which is just an exceptionally sloppy movie.
That is true, but it comes to rewatchability to me. I will have to see the uncut Japanese version of Revenge to get the full experience.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

I hate the 'kamata-kun' and 'whatever-the-fuck-kun' names too.
I just call them Sheldon(form1), Dave(2), Scott(3), and Shin because I'm a cunt.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:I hate the 'kamata-kun' and 'whatever-the-fuck-kun' names too.
I just call them Sheldon(form1), Dave(2), Scott(3), and Shin because I'm a cunt.
Blub, NYEAH, 3

I tend to use the nicknames simply because its rather well known now also that people still somehow confuse form 2 for form 1 - somehow. I also drop the "-kun", because reasons.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

I don't like shin godzilla. The characters are blend. the sound effects are taking from mid 20th century. I despise kamata kun. I hate the fact that the roar is a recycled sound just to pay homeage to the showa films, it doesn't match. And the last but not least shin godzilla itself moves so stiff just to make look like a guy in a rubber suit.
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Baby is cute as a button.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

SpaceG92 wrote:I tend to use the nicknames simply because its rather well known now also that people still somehow confuse form 2 for form 1 - somehow.
Well, to be fair, we only ever see form 1's tail, and it's almost identical to form 2's.

But, then again, Rando literally says that "Godzilla's evolved into it's fourth form" when it resurfaces in Sagami Bay.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:Baby is cute as a button.
That is true. And it looks more like Godzilla than Little Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

- I like Godzilla: Final Wars
- I hate the Godzilla (2014) story but love the kaiju
- Godzilla's Revenge is one of my favorite films
- I think King Kong vs. Godzilla's story is bland
- I think King Ghidorah is ugly (Showa) but I still enjoy him
- I like Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
- I hate Minecraft mods about Godzilla (IDK if this would count)
- Finally, Millennium era is my favorite era

Nairbzilla
Samurai

Post by Nairbzilla »

I really don't care much for Gigan, at least compared to the average fan.
"A fandom divided against itself cannot stand."

~Abraham Lincoln, if he was a Godzilla fan

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

Nairbzilla wrote:I really don't care much for Gigan, at least compared to the average fan.
G1G4N_27 would be triggered.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I think Jet Jaguars leagues cooler than Ultraman and Zone Fighter
This is more of a scientific fact than an opinion.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Loganrules115 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I think Jet Jaguars leagues cooler than Ultraman and Zone Fighter
This is more of a scientific fact than an opinion.
8-)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like Slow Godzilla, especially big bulky and thicc. IMO, adds to the idea of the monster sort of being a living mountain and force of nature, without the edgy IM DA KINN. Shin Godzilla executed it perfectly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I like Slow Godzilla, especially big bulky and thicc. IMO, adds to the idea of the monster sort of being a living mountain and force of nature, without the edgy IM DA KINN. Shin Godzilla executed it perfectly.
Wait, that's an unpopular opinion?

Slow Godzilla is a thing people have an issue with?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Nairbzilla
Samurai

Post by Nairbzilla »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I like Slow Godzilla, especially big bulky and thicc. IMO, adds to the idea of the monster sort of being a living mountain and force of nature, without the edgy IM DA KINN. Shin Godzilla executed it perfectly.
Wait, that's an unpopular opinion?

Slow Godzilla is a thing people have an issue with?
A lot of people (including me) thought Shin was too slow and too stiff.
"A fandom divided against itself cannot stand."

~Abraham Lincoln, if he was a Godzilla fan