Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ZinK
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla Unpopular Opinions

Post by ZinK »

JVM wrote:
Rodan wrote:
JVM wrote:This is pretty much the same topic I intended with "Kaiju Fan Confessions" and is quickly falling to the same flaws - people using it to air views that aren't especially controversial.
This is why we need an actual fan confession thread, in which the only kinds of posts allowed are along the lines of, "I bludgeoned a man to death with a Trendmasters figure," or "I pirated every movie and refuse to buy any DVDs," or "I never apologized to Tokumei, who really was Mr. Knowledge in Japan."
I would love that, personally. It would certainly be more exciting than people coming out of the closet about liking Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
I pirated a few Godzilla movies.
I pirated alot of them. :/ (almost all)
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I've pirated every single one, plus the majority of other Kaiju films. I own a few, but only one has come from a source which would pay the actual creators. And besides, I'm not paying $40+ to buy the rarer movies.

That's the primary flaw with anti-piracy; some movies simply aren't accessible to the viewing public anymore. I don't intend to 'steal' from content creators, but when said content is under bars, I don't have a reasonable choice beyond downloads.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wait, you pirated every single Godzilla film, even though all but two are currently easy to find on DVD and Bluray for under $20 each? Or did I read that wrong?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I've a soft spot for Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Legion1979 wrote:Wait, you pirated every single Godzilla film, even though all but two are currently easy to find on DVD and Bluray for under $20 each? Or did I read that wrong?
Well, that's where the "owning some" comes in. They're mostly pretty cheap, so I do have a good handful - obviously not all of them, but you get the idea.

But even then, I bought most of those either from eBay or from flea markets... not quite paying the company, either way :/

Just for clarity - I don't exactly promote doing this, but I guess it's a confession.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Final Wars is my favourite G film, and though I'll admit it isn't the best in general, it is personally the best to me because it has most of what I want in a G film, and the Showa era is the era I like the least...

Can that opinion be any more unpopular? How long until an angry army of fans kick down my door and try to take me like those Brotherhood knights tried to take Dracula in the prologue of Lords of Shadow 2? They're already here...? Well then... have at you!
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Final Wars is my favourite G film, and though I'll admit it isn't the best in general, it is personally the best to me because it has most of what I want in a G film, and the Showa era is the era I like the least...

Can that opinion be any more unpopular? How long until an angry army of fans kick down my door and try to take me like those Brotherhood knights tried to take Dracula in the prologue of Lords of Shadow 2? They're already here...? Well then... have at you!
Godzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Final Wars is my favourite G film... the Showa era is the era I like the least...
That's an interesting pair of statements, to my mind. While GFW is one of my least-favorite G-flicks, and Showa is my preferred era, I do feel like a lot of aspects of GFW show a Showa influence that feels a lot stronger than any connection between that movie and the Heisei series or the other Millennium entries.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

eabaker wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Final Wars is my favourite G film... the Showa era is the era I like the least...
That's an interesting pair of statements, to my mind. While GFW is one of my least-favorite G-flicks, and Showa is my preferred era, I do feel like a lot of aspects of GFW show a Showa influence that feels a lot stronger than any connection between that movie and the Heisei series or the other Millennium entries.
I do think Showa generally has the best fight scenes, but I'm a bigger fan of the Heisei/Millennium tones and atmospheres, for the live action movies at least.

The fast paced, brutal kaiju combat in FW hits a lot of the right notes for me (though the fights could've been longer) though granted if we ever get a movie with FW/Showa style fights again I'd be very happy, though a touch of Asura's Wrath (or along those lines) style action would be appreciated: give hits more impact, make kaiju pull off a few more 'spectacle' moves and use the environment more (throw boulders, use cranes as baseball bats, smash/ram each other through buildings), throw in a beam struggle when necessary. I just like fights to be fast paced and impactful. I also love that the humans got their own suitably awesome action scenes, they were very enjoyable to me. To put it in perspective, something like the forest fight in RotF is the sort of fight scenes I want in a Godzilla film, only instead of transformers you have kaiju and instead of a forest put them in a city, and that's if I want a more 'subtle' fight scene.

I'm also a bigger fan of the Heisei/Millennium 'art direction' (don't know what else to call it) for kaiju and mechas and just in general, which is unfair because that's just the result of bigger budgets/better design teams but it's what appeals to me. Plus Final Goji was lean and nimble, I love Godzillas that aren't bulky, that have leaner builds and can be surprisingly quick. Big fan of Megaro Goji because of that actually.

At the end of the day, if the story is well written, if it can be deep, if it can develop well that's great, that's perfect. But what I'm looking for above all else in Godzilla films is fun. I'm looking for fast paced, impactful fights; fun (not necessarily deep) human characters, creative and good cinematography (get those unique/lesser used camera angles in there in the fights) and just for the film to be a spectacle in one way or another.

I'll admit it, I'm easy to please. I understand the importance of plot and character development and insightful commentary (Big, big fan of Metal Gear because of that, and also LotR) but if you're going to sell me a Godzilla film that isn't social commentary, or trying to be something deep, then I want a spectacle. I want to see heated conflicts between kaiju and mechas, I want to see stunning cinematography and visuals, I want to see something fun. I do require a good plot and characters as well, but I won't particularly care if they're not A-star material, just give me something I can enjoy. I'm easy to please, I know, but I'm here to see kaiju and mechas kick ass in spectacular fashion.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Mechagigan wrote:some movies simply aren't accessible to the viewing public anymore.
I certainly feel differently about films that are either out of print or have never been available in your region. Do what you have to do to keep the movies in circulation.

But as far as I'm concerned, anything I do obtain that way, I'm committed to buying if it's licensed.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rodan wrote: But as far as I'm concerned, anything I do obtain that way, I'm committed to buying if it's licensed.
Yuuuup.

Said this in another thread some time ago: I only download movies/TV shows with OOP R1 releases or ones that have NOT had one yet. Once an easily obtainable version comes out, I buy that and delete the pirated version.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

eabaker wrote:
Agreed. It's no love letter, but I always saw GFW being filled to the brim with Showa inspirations. It almost feels like how Hollywood would modernize that era if given the chance... which turned out as you might expect.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

I still really like Godzilla's Revenge/All Monsters Attack and it was the perfect introduction to Godzilla for my 5 year old nephew because of the child-centered story and the theme about bullies. It held his attention unlike some of the other films which have too much dialogue for a small child to care about and it made him want more when it was over.

Not as controversial, but I hated Giant Monsters All-Out Attack for this reason: King Ghidorah should never be the hero. He should always be the baddie. He's too goddamned scary to be a good guy. This film was just wrong.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Final Wars is my favourite G film
BROTHER!
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I actually enjoy like 90% of Godzilla raids again. Sue me

Also I think rodan may be my favorite monster movie ever. Not necessarily an overly unpopular thing to say but I have heard a lot of my friends hate on the movie so there's that
Resized Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Also I think Today may be my favorite monster movie ever. Not necessarily an overly unpopular thing to say but I have heard a lot of my friends hate on the movie so there's that
I think most of that has to do with Matt Lauer it is a very polarizing design.
Godzilla

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I dislike GhidoGoji. It's just BioGoji with a cartoonish big chest added and the latex of the suit looks like it's in terrible condition. Fuck GhidoGoji, man.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

g2vd wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:Also I think Today may be my favorite monster movie ever. Not necessarily an overly unpopular thing to say but I have heard a lot of my friends hate on the movie so there's that
Oops, damn auto correct lol

I think another unpopular opinion I have is the fact that I hate Godzilla vs biollante
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Beef Bigshot wrote:
g2vd wrote:

I think another unpopular opinion I have is the fact that I hate Godzilla vs biollante
Still not sure what movie title auto corrected to "Today." Was it Rodan?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:
g2vd wrote: I think most of that has to do with Matt Lauer it is a very polarizing design.

Still not sure what movie title auto corrected to "Today." Was it Rodan?
Ya it's supposed to rodan but my glorious auto correct seems to think I want to talk about the news program
Resized Image