Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by BlankAccount »

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: His breath was orange on the japanese poster:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY679_.jpg
Too be fair the movie was in black and white, no one probably put much thought in what color his breath was at the time till they got to Godzilla vs KongKing Kong vs. Godzilla.
Right, it was probably the artist's interpretation, not a reflection of the filmmakers' intent. Also, artists continued to color Godzilla's heat ray orange on posters and in promotional art, even after the films had established it as blue/white, so colors on posters don't really matter a whole lot compared to what's actually in the film.
You tell an artist it's a movie about a fire breathing monster, their first thought is the normal orange-yellow color we are used to seeing. Also thanks for the fix.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: His breath was orange on the japanese poster:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY679_.jpg
Too be fair the movie was in black and white, no one probably put much thought in what color his breath was at the time till they got to Godzilla vs KongKing Kong vs. Godzilla.
Right, it was probably the artist's interpretation, not a reflection of the filmmakers' intent. Also, artists continued to color Godzilla's heat ray orange on posters and in promotional art, even after the films had established it as blue/white, so colors on posters don't really matter a whole lot compared to what's actually in the film.
Well duh. I was just saying that his breath exists in an orange state on the poster. There was obviously zero thought put into what the color of his breath was since the movie was in black and white.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ Exactly. I'm sure Honda would have shot it in color if he could have, but it's just not interesting to debate about what color he would have chosen. At that point, we might as well debate about whether he would have chosen suitmation if CGI were an option. These weren't purely artistic choices, they were budgetary and technological limitations. But within the limitations, you can get closer to the aesthetic intentions... the range of choices they DID have and what they chose. In the original, the heat ray is bright hot. It also varies in texture and general appearance... sometimes it's a cloudy mist, other times it has defined edges. The color it may or may not be just isn't relevant, so you focus on the texture and brightness.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

For what it's worth, Luigi Cozzi rendered it in an orange in many shots in Cozzilla. :P

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Then where did the blue come from? I’ve always wondered this but I can’t recall ever figuring out why they decided to render his atomic breath as blue

I mean I figure it’s either because Cherenkov radiation glows blue or because blue flame is hotter than red/orange flame but even so
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

When we talk about 2D films, we never talk about how near we are to the action. In non-Odorama films, it's rare for people talk about how a scene smells. With B&W films, you either don't think about the color, use whatever information is mentioned by characters, or just use your imagination.

What I really want to know is what color suits Steve Martin wore in GKOTM. My unpopular opinion is that he mostly wore dark blue.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Tamura wrote:What I really want to know is what color suits Steve Martin wore in GKOTM. My unpopular opinion is that he mostly wore dark blue.
Charcoal gray because that’s the most versatile
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I don't know how popular this opinion is but going from Mechagodzilla 2 to Moguera is a massive downgrade, I firmly believe that Super Mechagodzilla could have been extremely useful in dispatching Spacegodzilla.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

AllosaurHell wrote:I don't know how popular this opinion is but going from Mechagodzilla 2 to Moguera is a massive downgrade, I firmly believe that Super Mechagodzilla could have been extremely useful in dispatching Spacegodzilla.
That's not unpopular at all. Mechagodzilla was suppose to be in the movie but Toho thought it would be unfair for SpaceG to fight Godzilla and the monster who almost killed him so they replaced him.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tamura wrote:When we talk about 2D films, we never talk about how near we are to the action.
Yes we do. A close-up shot with a wide lens from very near the actor's face creates a very different effect from a similar framing using a longer lens at a greater distance, and that is absolutely a thing people discuss.

Sorry, I know this isn't relevant to the actual discussion going on, but I felt a compulsion to pick at a nit.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

eabaker wrote:
Tamura wrote:When we talk about 2D films, we never talk about how near we are to the action.
Yes we do. A close-up shot with a wide lens from very near the actor's face creates a very different effect from a similar framing using a longer lens at a greater distance, and that is absolutely a thing people discuss.

Sorry, I know this isn't relevant to the actual discussion going on, but I felt a compulsion to pick at a nit.
You're right, I hadn't thought about that. I was just trying to find equivalences to debating about color in a B&W movie. It doesn't really work there. Oh man I love wide angle close-ups...
Last edited by Tamura on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tamura wrote:Oh man I love wide angle close-ups...
I know, right?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

eabaker wrote:
Tamura wrote:Oh man I love wide angle close-ups...
I know, right?

Sweaty, twitchy faces in Techniscope ftw

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

tyrantgoji wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:I don't know how popular this opinion is but going from Mechagodzilla 2 to Moguera is a massive downgrade, I firmly believe that Super Mechagodzilla could have been extremely useful in dispatching Spacegodzilla.
That's not unpopular at all. Mechagodzilla was suppose to be in the movie but Toho thought it would be unfair for SpaceG to fight Godzilla and the monster who almost killed him so they replaced him.
Don't get that at all. Why not just make Space Godzilla stronger then.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Don't get that at all. Why not just make Space Godzilla stronger then.
I don't know they just didn't think right,i guess.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I find Mougera way more interesting then Mecha-Godzilla. It has a really unique design for a robot, and some abilities that make it stand apart than Mecha-Godzilla. I don't buy the fact that they chose Mougera over MG because it would have been "too overpowered".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I've never heard the "Mechagodzilla was too strong" rationale, only "four Godzillas in one movie would have been overkill."

Either way, I'd like to see an official source for this. I've combed through every English language reference I can think of and have never been able to verify that Mechagodzilla was initially slated to appear. The best I can find is the Japanese Wikipedia article, but even that lacks a source.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Yeah, sorry, tyrant but that's bupkus.

They scrapped Mechagodzilla because having Godzilla fight a evil Godzilla clone with Little and Mechag in supporting roles was too much.

Plus Moguera was techincally new and could be sold as a new monster toy

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Yeah, sorry, tyrant but that's bupkus.

They scrapped Mechagodzilla because having Godzilla fight a evil Godzilla clone with Little and Mechag in supporting roles was too much.

Plus Moguera was techincally new and could be sold as a new monster toy
Hey if they wanted to they could have just recolored MechaGodzilla a darker color and given him a new weapon to replace the G-Crusher system. ;)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Terasawa wrote:I've never heard the "Mechagodzilla was too strong" rationale, only "four Godzillas in one movie would have been overkill."

Either way, I'd like to see an official source for this. I've combed through every English language reference I can think of and have never been able to verify that Mechagodzilla was initially slated to appear. The best I can find is the Japanese Wikipedia article, but even that lacks a source.
You mean like this translation I posted just a couple of weeks ago?!? :) https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/triple ... anslation/

The original working title for this was "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla". Little Godzilla still appears of course, but he got GMK Baragon'd.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock