Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

I've often wondered what the Henson company would come up with for a suitmation Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:If the design is more traditional, I can see suitmation making a comeback.

Shin was CGI because the design was more outlandish. According to Shinji Higuchi at G-FEST last year, the tail was the biggest factor in turning it completely CGI. It would've been a wirework nightmare.
Makes sense.

Man, if suitmation made a come back I'd be absolutely thrilled. Nothing compares to it, in my opinion, for the Toho films.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:I've often wondered what the Henson company would come up with for a suitmation Godzilla.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mup ... 0705175930

Enjoy....... :lol:
Last edited by goji89 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:I've often wondered what the Henson company would come up with for a suitmation Godzilla.

I would watch an entire movie of that.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

A Dark Crystal style Godzilla film would have been glorious.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:

I would watch an entire movie of that.
As would I, as would I.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

My top 5 Godzilla movies all feature Godzilla as the antagonist. Of my top 10, 8 feature him as antagonist, 1 as a sympathetic neutral character, and only one positions him as the hero.

It's not that I dislike Godzilla-as-hero, but clearly it just doesn't have the same resonance for me as Godzilla-as-threat.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

eabaker wrote:My top 5 Godzilla movies all feature Godzilla as the antagonist. Of my top 10, 8 feature him as antagonist, 1 as a sympathetic neutral character, and only one positions him as the hero.

It's not that I dislike Godzilla-as-hero, but clearly it just doesn't have the same resonance for me as Godzilla-as-threat.
I'm with you, man.
It's not that Godzilla as a hero is a bad thing, it's just that he works better as an antagonist
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Destorogoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:My top 5 Godzilla movies all feature Godzilla as the antagonist. Of my top 10, 8 feature him as antagonist, 1 as a sympathetic neutral character, and only one positions him as the hero.

I'm with you, man.
It's not that Godzilla as a hero is a bad thing, it's just that he works better as an antagonist
I like him best to be kind of in the middle. That's why I like the later heisei movies, his 'alignment' in those feel spot-on for me. But I'm open to all of it. I feel like anytime you do multiple films in a continuous continuity, like the showa series or the heisei series, you can start at a place of antagonism but if Godzilla's role doesn't change somewhat then the movies will get really stale. Godzilla vs. Mothra 2 wasn't the greatest for a lot of reasons, but one of them for me is that it's just like, oh we gotta get rid of Godzilla for the fourth time? But then in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 the audiences sympathies get spun around and G-Force kind of becomes the antagonist, even though actually nothing has really changed that much and Godzilla is still a massive threat to humanity - we're just seeing the conflict in a different light.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My 2 favorite Godzilla films are Godzilla 1985 and Son of Godzilla. There's barely two films with more polar opposite portrayals of the character than those two.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:If the design is more traditional, I can see suitmation making a comeback.

Shin was CGI because the design was more outlandish. According to Shinji Higuchi at G-FEST last year, the tail was the biggest factor in turning it completely CGI. It would've been a wirework nightmare.
Makes sense.

Man, if suitmation made a come back I'd be absolutely thrilled. Nothing compares to it, in my opinion, for the Toho films.
You know, they could have used a suit and just CGI the tail.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I find SpaceGodzilla to be overrated. It's a cool monster, but I don't find him interesting as a character. I like the idea of an evil clone of Godzilla, but with SpaceGodzilla, I just don't feel it.
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Living Corpse wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Makes sense.

You know, they could have used a suit and just CGI the tail.
They probably could have, but honestly I think the cg was the best choice for that particular film. It was a major win for Toho in my mind that they were able to make a CG monster movie that looked that convincing. That said, I also hope suitmation makes a return. Maybe combined with other technologies to create something really cool and unique looking.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I find SpaceGodzilla to be overrated. It's a cool monster, but I don't find him interesting as a character. I like the idea of an evil clone of Godzilla, but with SpaceGodzilla, I just don't feel it.
I feel like this is the fault of the execution of the film, not the monster design/origins itself. They could have done SO much with Spacegodzilla and they really dropped the ball, in my opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I find SpaceGodzilla to be overrated. It's a cool monster, but I don't find him interesting as a character. I like the idea of an evil clone of Godzilla, but with SpaceGodzilla, I just don't feel it.
I feel like this is the fault of the execution of the film, not the monster design/origins itself. They could have done SO much with Spacegodzilla and they really dropped the ball, in my opinion.
Did the movie really need to be anything else that it was though? I mean the character is named SPACEgodzilla. It’s already so silly and charmingly ludicrous. I feel like the movie did just fine with the concept.

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Did the movie really need to be anything else that it was though? I mean the character is named SPACEgodzilla. It’s already so silly and charmingly ludicrous. I feel like the movie did just fine with the concept.
Maybe be a semi-remake of war of the gargantuas? Lol I don't know, personally I would just change his origins to something more simple and more digestible for the audience.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I suppose it depends on what you wanted. The concept of a Godzilla formed from a black hole, with giant space crystals forming out of his shoulders, telekinetic powers, and who is implied to be vengeful and full of rage (creating "Hell on Earth") could have been very dark, very interesting. But instead it was campy. It took that route, which is understandable. But it COULD have gone a much darker, bleaker, Godzilla vs his Dark doppleganger route. Could have been quite interesting.
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I suppose it depends on what you wanted. The concept of a Godzilla formed from a black hole, with giant space crystals forming out of his shoulders, telekinetic powers, and who is implied to be vengeful and full of rage (creating "Hell on Earth") could have been very dark, very interesting. But instead it was campy. It took that route, which is understandable. But it COULD have gone a much darker, bleaker, Godzilla vs his Dark doppleganger route. Could have been quite interesting.
Oh yeah I never thought of it that way, that could have been really cool. I’m a fan of the movie as it is personally, but if they ever brought Spacegodzilla back maybe that’s how it should be approached. I see Destroyah as something similar already though - not a true doppelgänger obviously, but sort of a darker, satanic ‘brother’ of Godzilla who was also born of a destructive man-made weapon.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Oh yeah I never thought of it that way, that could have been really cool. I’m a fan of the movie as it is personally, but if they ever brought Spacegodzilla back maybe that’s how it should be approached. I see Destroyah as something similar already though - not a true doppelgänger obviously, but sort of a darker, satanic ‘brother’ of Godzilla who was also born of a destructive man-made weapon.
Yeah, I don't hate Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla. But I understand why a lot of people do. I prefer Destroyah, and Godzilla vs. Destroyah is one of my top 5 Godzilla films, personally.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Son of Godzilla just recently bumped Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster off my top 10.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: