Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Godzilla21 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The atomic bombings were a necessary evil to end the war before thousands more were killed. But the fact that two nuclear bombs had to be dropped is nothing short of tragic. There were innocent Japanese, just as there were innocent Germans. There were Americans that committed war crimes too.

War is almost always a conflict between states or political entities, and it's always the innocent who have to pay for the state's actions. It's wrong to say the Japanese did no wrong but it's just as wrong to say that the civilians deserved their fate.

That said, I can safely say I've never seen any Imperial Japanese defenders in the Western Godzilla fandom.
Probably because we go on different sites to discuss Godzilla than each other. At one point it got so bad that people were posting Literal Imperial Japanese Propaganda to deny their actions during WW2.
They might also be trolling if they knew it was pissing people off
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
They might also be trolling if they knew it was pissing people off
Testify my brother

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Japanese nationalists in general are incredibly obnoxious, there's definitely a spectrum to it as well, and it's not exclusive to Japan. Occasionally I'll see YouTube videos about how great Japan is (think of any famous spot) and actually having been there (or at least more familiar with it) I can see that it's not really representative of the whole culture. Worse off seeing Japanese media that is clearly incredibly toxic/pedophilic and people saying "well yeah it's just a different culture".

Anyone who justifies the actions of Japan during ww2 is an idiot. Same goes for those that willingly ignore the fact that the United States played a big role in the creation of Imperialist Japan. It's astounding that humans are close minded in that it's either "one side is the clear hero" and doesn't want to discuss what led up to many of these atrocities or the unfortunate truth of how fallible humanity is. Removing the human element from war is a dangerous thing within itself.

Tying this all back to Godzilla, it's why I think the original film does a really good job in some of the more gruesome scenes. The scene with the mother and the children, the reporters in the tower, and then the girls singing, really gives a lot of weight to the humanity. It's also why I like Godzilla and a lot of early Toho productions more than a lot of anime/modern Japanese media.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Structurally and visually, Godzilla 2014 is a better movie than Shin Godzilla. Thematically, Shin is still the better film; G14 - or LPG as I've seen it being called recently - doesn't have much thematic weight to it but it's a damn well-made movie. The plot flows at a nice, consistent pace and the cinematography is just gorgeous. By contrast, I find that Shin loses a lot of steam in its second half and the camerawork, while impressive, isn't on the same level. The two movies are about equal for me overall. I'm tempted to give Shin the slight edge for innovation but I find G14 to be the slightly more enjoyable watch. This probably isn't too unpopular but I still prefer GMK over both.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GMK is well liked generally.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’ve probably said all of my unpopular opinions by now but here I go...

I prefer Hattori’s scores to Otani’s.
For Emperor and Empire!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I’ve probably said all of my unpopular opinions by now but here I go...

I prefer Hattori’s scores to Otani’s.
Otani only did GMK right? I can see that. I LOVE the anine trilogy soundtrack, and I listen to that one much more than GMK's soundtrack.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I don't remember a single piece of music from the anime trilogy...

Which means it's still one of the better parts of the films, because at least I don't remember it for the wrong reasons.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^I think the Godzilla theme is somewhat memorable.

Hattori's live action Godzilla scores are OK but they suffer from weak orchestration.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I like that song they used in Planet Eater by XAI. Forget it's name but it's incredibly well done. "I was the king but then i lost control!"

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Terasawa wrote:^I think the Godzilla theme is somewhat memorable.

Hattori's live action Godzilla scores are OK but they suffer from weak orchestration.
I was never able to pinpoint why I enjoyed GvSG's soundtrack but also felt like something was lacking and this is it. Spacegodzilla has a really cool motif, but it doesn't feel as powerful as say Ghidorah or Destoryah's themes in the Heisei series.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The brass in Hattori's GvSG and G2K scores sounds especially weak. It might be the arrangement, the orchestra, the mix, or some combination of all of the above. I think it's the arrangement myself because the compositions with string leads sound really full. Of course, the arrangement might have been dictated by the orchestra size, so who knows.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Spacegodzilla has a really cool motif, but it doesn't feel as powerful as say Ghidorah or Destoryah's themes in the Heisei series.
I think the power in Ifukube's monster scores comes from the low brass. They really dominate. I love the way the trombones and/or baritones really growl on the low notes.

Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^ Yeah i think all can agree the music is a big highlight of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

I think my unpopular opinion is that SpaceGodzilla's score is kinda better though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I just like the heavy brass that Ifukube's Heisei scores had. Also does anyone know what brass instruments they used to make GTTHM's Ghidorah theme?

Anyways, another unpopular opinion is that I like Gabara's roar.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Also does anyone know what brass instruments they used to make GTTHM's Ghidorah theme?

0:00 Sounds like primarily trombones carrying the melody; a horn adds the rising, higher register flourish. The low, low end is a bass clarinet or other meaty low register woodwind. It might be joined by a tuba or baritone but I don't hear that sound here.

0:15 Melody is still trombone but now the horn plays the higher octave. Still a low woodwind.

0:25 Trumpets take the melody for a moment before the low winds take it back.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Also does anyone know what brass instruments they used to make GTTHM's Ghidorah theme?

0:00 Sounds like primarily trombones carrying the melody; a horn adds the rising, higher register flourish. The low, low end is a bass clarinet or other meaty low register woodwind. It might be joined by a tuba or baritone but I don't hear that sound here.

0:15 Melody is still trombone but now the horn plays the higher octave. Still a low woodwind.

0:25 Trumpets take the melody for a moment before the low winds take it back.
Thanks, man :) .
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Not too sure how unpopular this is, but the King Kong vs. Godzilla score is certainly one of my favorites of the entire franchise.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gigantis wrote:Not too sure how unpopular this is, but the King Kong vs. Godzilla score is certainly one of my favorites of the entire franchise.
The Ifukube score, or the American score? That will make a difference in how unpopular the opinion is. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

eabaker wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Not too sure how unpopular this is, but the King Kong vs. Godzilla score is certainly one of my favorites of the entire franchise.
The Ifukube score, or the American score? That will make a difference in how unpopular the opinion is. ;)
Oh, Ifukube's for sure. Love the native chant theme.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gigantis wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Oh, Ifukube's for sure. Love the native chant theme.
Then probably not that unpopular!

And I agree, definitely one of my favorites.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.