Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote:Well that's extremely dumb logic. I guess we don't need anymore shark movies, Jaws has it covered. We don't need anymore superhero movies, Dark Knight has it covered. Hell, we don't even need anymore giant monster movies since Godzilla (1954) has it covered.

Just because others have done it is no excuse to avoid putting your own spin on it. The MonsterVerse's way of handling a giant mecha would be completely different from the way Pacific Rim handles it. Same basic idea, very different thematic interpretations.

And I can't stress this enough: the "IT'S NOT REALISTIC" argument needs to skreeonking die. It's such a hypocritical argument. You can buy mankind building Jaegers in less than a year since the first kaiju attack, but Mechagodzilla is suddenly too far out there? Who cares? Who literally cares? Stop hindering the creative potential the MonsterVerse has just because of some stupid "rule" that hasn't even been established by anyone on the MonsterVerse team.

There IS no "Man vs. Nature" theme in the MonsterVerse because the MonsterVerse has only existed since May of last year. Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island both started off as completely independent from each other and were never originally pitched with the idea of a cinematic universe tying them together. Just because both films share a similar theme does NOT make it the overarching plan for the universe at large. Especially when in the next film we're likely going to have a completely alien monster in the form of King Ghidorah.

I want this stupid "REALISTIC" running gag to die already. It has no foundation besides personal interpretation of two completely independently produced films.
As long as they've a good explanation for creating a Mechanical clone here, outside of just mere fanservice. Not to mention, make it believable, not realistic, believable. There's a difference.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I’ve never cared for the name ‘Kiryu’, nor understood why it’s there in the first place. I use it myself, admittedly, but only because it’s become so accepted and normalized I can’t even catch myself. And I suppose it’s a quicker way to differentiate the incarnation. But still, come on it’s Mechagodzilla, guys. THE CHARACTER IS MECHAGODZILLA.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Of course not; Mechagodzilla is a malevolent alien killing machine.

Kiryu is a resurrected Godzilla trapped in a metal shell.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ivo-goji wrote:^Of course not; Mechagodzilla is a malevolent alien killing machine.

Kiryu is a resurrected Godzilla trapped in a metal shell.

I just think it's kinda stupid.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

I used to think it was dumb too. But I got used to it, and it's almost weird to refer to it as Mechagodzilla now.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I accept it fine; Mechagodizlla, to me, is the name of an antagonistic force- as this was the first explicitly 'good guy' Mechagodzilla, and one with a sort of soul, giving it a name with more personality and less sinister connotations works for what they were going for, to me.

BUT, I wish that any kind of rationale for the name was provided in-movie. That is a little jarring.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I think what annoys me more is when people explicitly refer to it as "MechaGodzilla 3".
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Dr. Professor wrote:I think what annoys me more is when people explicitly refer to it as "MechaGodzilla 3".
blame the Atari games for that one

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzillian wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:I think what annoys me more is when people explicitly refer to it as "MechaGodzilla 3".
blame the Atari games for that one
Those bastards.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Zarm wrote: as this was the first explicitly 'good guy' Mechagodzilla
It was the second, but you already know this.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

There was nothing heroic about Heisei Mechagodzilla. We were definitely supposed to be rooting for Godzilla in that movie.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Goji wrote:
Zarm wrote: as this was the first explicitly 'good guy' Mechagodzilla
It was the second, but you already know this.
The heisei Mechagodzilla is a weapon defending humanity, but in the film he’s still portrayed as kind of a villain. The way the film is done, the audience is definitely put on Godzilla’s side.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That's why I said 'explicitly'. The Heisei MG was positioned somewhat ambiguously; a necessary evil, a noble defender, or a cruel villain depending on the framework of your viewpoint. Kiryu was more of a straight-up superhero in tone and intent, and was also more of a personality than a tool or device, which the Heisei portrayal tended toward.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

*shrugs* It's a man-made Mechagodzilla built to defend Japan from Godzilla, and that to me is enough to validate it as a "good guy" MG, but nobody is wrong here.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I really Godzilla to continue (in Toho productions) as suitmation. Particularly because this complements the shorter turn-around time... and because the fandom seems to be very focused on screen-time. And just like Narnia fans already discovered... when your hero creature is CGI, you're just automatically going to get less every-second-costs-money screentime than you will with a practical suit that can be in front of the camera any amount of time.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:I really Godzilla to continue (in Toho productions) as suitmation. Particularly because this complements the shorter turn-around time... and because the fandom seems to be very focused on screen-time. And just like Narnia fans already discovered... when your hero creature is CGI, you're just automatically going to get less every-second-costs-money screentime than you will with a practical suit that can be in front of the camera any amount of time.
I absolutely want suitmation to come back to Toho's productions. 100%. I'm sure it won't happen, but I'd be so extremely happy if it did.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Somehow, there's nothing so pleasant on these forums as when an 'unpopular opinion' gets a second. :)

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:I really Godzilla to continue (in Toho productions) as suitmation. Particularly because this complements the shorter turn-around time... and because the fandom seems to be very focused on screen-time. And just like Narnia fans already discovered... when your hero creature is CGI, you're just automatically going to get less every-second-costs-money screentime than you will with a practical suit that can be in front of the camera any amount of time.
I absolutely want suitmation to come back to Toho's productions. 100%. I'm sure it won't happen, but I'd be so extremely happy if it did.
Make it a third!!! CGI will just never match the raw awesomeness of a practical set along with a suit.
Like, when a city is CGI-ied it just sort of blurs together, while with a practical city you can pick out certain details if that makes sense.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If the design is more traditional, I can see suitmation making a comeback.

Shin was CGI because the design was more outlandish. According to Shinji Higuchi at G-FEST last year, the tail was the biggest factor in turning it completely CGI. It would've been a wirework nightmare.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^Oh yeah I remember that. Interesting stuff, if only he didn't "forget to bring pictures of Shin's first form". :D

This sounds stupid but I've always dreamed of a suitmation Godzilla film with a huge budget. Like, something with G14's budget if that makes sense. Suits already look great as is, but if a blend of suits and CGI could be achieved with time and resources it would be something.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos