Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

I fucking love the score for Godzilla vs. Megalon. I might even go so far as to call it the best element of the movie. I lifted a bit of it for an exercise I did in grad school:

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Composers for me:

1.) Akira Ifukube
2.) Kow Otani
3.) Masaru Sato
4.) Michiru Oshima
5.) Reijiro Koroku
6.) Bear McCreary
7.) Alexandre Desplat
8.) Shiro Sagisu
9.) Koichi Sugiyama
10.) David Arnold
11.) Riichiro Manabe
12.) Takayuki Hattori
13.) Kunio Miyauchi
14.) Daisuke Yano/Keith Emerson

Can't say I flat out dislike any of their work, except for Yano & Emerson's GFW score but even then, there's some good to it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

1. Akira Ifukube
If for no greater reason than the sheer quality and quantity of his work. I mean the guy created Godzilla's iconic roar. You can get more important than that.
2. Reijiro Koroku
My favorite Godzilla score and hands down one of my favorite film scores of all time.
3. Kow Otani
I mean the guy is a legend. Not just his score for GMK but his work in anime and other kaiju films as well.
4. Masaru Sato
Yeah his Gigantis is nothing to write home about but the rest of his work in the series is so infectiously catchy it's hard not to love.
5. Shiro Sagisu
His original material in Shin is largely pretty great. He only really loses points for the fact he only scored a portion of the overall film.
6. Yano/Emerson
Yeah GFW has some duds for sure but some of my absolute favorite pieces of Godzilla music are from the film. For those alone they are able to hang on so high up.
7. David Arnold
Yeah there's only a handful of really exceptional tracks but those tracks stand head and shoulders about the output of most the rest of the field. Still find it lacking compared to his work in other D&E projects.
8.Koichi Sugiyama
His work in Biollante is nothing overly exceptionally but it all works well within the story the film is trying to tell. It's a solid score despite lacking any real outstanding tracks.
9. McCreery, Desplat, Oshima, Hattori, Miyauchi
I have them all tied largely because all their scores were serviceable enough in their respective films but found nothing about any of them that particularity stood out to me. They get the job done but little else. Don't help Desplat and McCreery's music barely even register in their respective films, being largely drowned out by dialogue and sound effects.
10. Riichiro Manabe
Yeah he's bottoms here. His music isn't exactly terrible but just so odd and slightly offputting and even slightly irritating at times.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

If we're throwing American Godzilla composers into the mix, I think Bear McCreary is hands-down the best, I would probably rank him toward the top, right after Ifukube, Sato and Otani. Alexandre Desplat ranks toward the bottom, his score for Godzilla '14 was serviceable but nothing special. David Arnold's score for the TriStar film was marginally better than everything else about that atrocious movie, but I'd still rank him dead last.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Like I think I already posted before in this thread, I prefer Oshima's Godzilla theme over Ifukube's, although his is obvs much more iconic and stuff.

Dunno, just feels more like the theme for a force of nature like Godzilla to have.

Although I do think that Ifukube overall has the better OSTs, with Otani being a close second (his themes for Godzilla, Mothra and Ghidorah are majestic af) with Oshima following the both of them.

From the American side, I agree with McCreary > Desplat > Arnold
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Desplat's theme was rather bland. Fitting for the movie it's in.

Bear has good themes, but unfortunately KOTM's sound effects have them all out-tuned and you can't really enjoy them with the film itself unlike other scores. Ifukube is still the best, but Oshima and Otani are close!

Also, i like Arnold's score, it's cheesy good.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

tyrantgoji wrote:Desplat's theme was rather bland. Fitting for the movie it's in.
Eh, I liked Desplat's theme, although It worked much better in the Opening Credits than in the movie
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I can't rank them right now, but Back To The Ocean is fukcing amazing and everyone who puts Desplat lower then 6 can't listen to it for a week

RIP Evan.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

One of my favorite tracks from Final Wars is this little cue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvhPIVi ... -&index=38

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Personally, I find David Arnold's Godzilla theme on par with Ifukube. And yes, I am ready to be banished from ever talking about Godzilla music again.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Personally, I find David Arnold's Godzilla theme on par with Ifukube. And yes, I am ready to be banished from ever talking about Godzilla music again.
If *anything* is subjective, it's music. Don't worry about it, man.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Personally, I find David Arnold's Godzilla theme on par with Ifukube. And yes, I am ready to be banished from ever talking about Godzilla music again.
Don't be ashamed, it's David Arnold of all people. For American compositors, his name is usually close to John William's.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Riichiro Manabe's score for Godzilla vs Hedorah isn't bad at all. It fits the bizarre nature of the film beautifully.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

^Yeah, I think Manabe is subject to way too much disdain. I enjoy his Godzilla vs. Hedorah score a lot and, to a lesser extent, I even enjoy his oft-derided Godzilla vs. Megalon score. He's not one of my favorite Godzilla composers, but that's only because there are so many great ones to choose from.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Nice to see David Arnold's score getting appreciation. His score really sets up the atmosphere in the first half perfectly- particularily in the Castle Brav...ehm, I mean "French Polynesian" testing opening credits. Just overall eerie and mysterious, really gives off a Godzilla vibe (unlike the actual film lol).
Although overall, I have to say that Oshima is my favorite non-Ifukube composer with McCreary closing in 2nd. I just love her version of the Godzilla march from GvMG, powerful and fits ideally. Gotta love that omnious beginning.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dv-218 wrote:Nice to see David Arnold's score getting appreciation. His score really sets up the atmosphere in the first half perfectly- particularily in the Castle Brav...ehm, I mean "French Polynesian" testing opening credits. Just overall eerie and mysterious, really gives off a Godzilla vibe (unlike the actual film lol).
Although overall, I have to say that Oshima is my favorite non-Ifukube composer with McCreary closing in 2nd. I just love her version of the Godzilla march from GvMG, powerful and fits ideally. Gotta love that omnious beginning.
Alright mister where have you been?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Nice to see David Arnold's score getting appreciation. His score really sets up the atmosphere in the first half perfectly- particularily in the Castle Brav...ehm, I mean "French Polynesian" testing opening credits. Just overall eerie and mysterious, really gives off a Godzilla vibe (unlike the actual film lol).
Alright mister where have you been?
Ah nothing special, just was particularily busy with work and studying in the last few months. Good to be back though :)

Back on composers, I will say that although he is not my favorite I always had a soft spot for Othani's techno-inspired GMK ost. Something about it just sounds unique but recognizeable.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Finally did a composer ranking.

Akira Ifukube
Shiro Saigsu
Bear McCreary
Takayuki Hattori
Kow Otani
Masuro Sato
Alexander Desplat
Koichi Sugiyama
David Arnold
Michiru Oshima
Reijiro Koroku
Keith Emerson, Daisuke Yano and Nobuhiko Morino
Riichiro Manabe
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: 8.Koichi Sugiyama
His work in Biollante is nothing overly exceptionally but it all works well within the story the film is trying to tell. It's a solid score despite lacking any real outstanding tracks.
*laughs in Bio Wars*
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

The_Human_Vapor
Yojimbo

Post by The_Human_Vapor »

Bio-Wars always seemed out of place to me
Last edited by The_Human_Vapor on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a spare NECA Rodan 2019 in box, DM me if interested.