Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by MikeSTZillak »

KiryuGoji is one of the best designs.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MikeSTZillak wrote:KiryuGoji is one of the best designs.
That's one I used to like a lot more than I do now but I do think Wakasa fixed most of the problems with Mire/Giragoji with the 2002 costume.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Completely agree, it's such a beast. Probably a toss up between this one and the GMK suit for best Millennium suit.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

A Cybernetic Possum
GPN Volunteer

Post by A Cybernetic Possum »

I always thought the best thing about that design was how his neck looked a bit like a cobra hood, with the ridges and all that
Be a good element to bring back

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

A Cybernetic Possum wrote:I always thought the best thing about that design was how his neck looked a bit like a cobra hood, with the ridges and all that
Be a good element to bring back
Exactly, same here.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Nice to see some love for it here, it's in my top 3, easily the best Millennium suit if you ask me, and always felt like it was really underrated.

I even like those much maligned scenes when he's (or it, as in the obviously empty suit is) just standing there without moving a muscle, taking Kiryu's rockets to his face - it reminds me of the way real life reptiles act when they feel threatened and it's cool to see G doing something like that. Sort of creepy in an adorable way.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't mind the design of KiryuGoji but I think the suit itself is terrible. It's got a really stiff, plastic feel to it.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I don't mind the design of KiryuGoji but I think the suit itself is terrible. It's got a really stiff, plastic feel to it.
100% this. It may be the most lifeless Godzilla face ever.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Imo the expression is pretty ferocious, the exaggerated dragon-esque features and the larger eyes are pretty expressive imo

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The downward curve of the snout kills it for me. Straighten that up, and it actually does look pretty decent.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote:The downward curve of the snout kills it for me. Straighten that up, and it actually does look pretty decent.
Yeah, this always looked strange and bird-like to me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I fucking love the 2002 design, it's one of the few really great things to come out of Tezuka's movies. It can look a bit silly in some shots but it has the same villainous tint like the 64 Godzilla, thanks to the eyebrows. I'd pay good money just to see NECA and the sculpter for their 62 figure try their hand at both of those suits.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I fucking love the 2002 design, it's one of the few really great things to come out of Tezuka's movies. It can look a bit silly in some shots but it has the same villainous tint like the 64 Godzilla, thanks to the eyebrows. I'd pay good money just to see NECA and the sculpter for their 62 figure try their hand at both of those suits.
I quite like it myself. I love how expressive the eyes are, and how the pupils seem to dilate when he roars or is surprised. It takes the 2000 suit and puts a more classic spin on it with the color palette. The scar on the chest looks pretty cool too.
Last edited by Breakdown on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

I've come to really love KiryuGoji, to be honest. The cobra neck is awesome, and to me it makes him look more king and beast like.

It fixes pretty much everything about Miregoji, mainly the more traditional colors and spikes. Kiryu is also a lot more expressive and lifelike then Mire, who just has this unblinking mean crocodile face.

KiryuGoji is now my third favorite Godzilla design after SokogekiGoji and ShodaiGoji.
Resized Image 

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:Mire, who just has this unblinking mean crocodile face.
Shit, Miregoji doesn't blink? I never noticed that, and now I'll never not notice it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Dr. Professor wrote:
TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:Mire, who just has this unblinking mean crocodile face.
poop, Miregoji doesn't blink? I never noticed that, and now I'll never not notice it.
Yeah he doesn't blink at all. It makes MireG look so much more fake and lifeless.
Resized Image 

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I don't know, I sorta like the mean crocodilian-esque face of the Mire suit. Sure the eyes didn't blink, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I agree that the KiryuGoji suits look so plastic-y. I think that was a big problem with all of Shinichi Wakasa's monster costumes, going back to SpaceGodzilla, Little Godzilla, and Destoroyah. Every once in a while his company would produce something incredible like the 2003 Mothra or the '98 Ghidorah (which, come to think of it, had a really strange mouth ala his Godzillas...) but generally his monsters just weren't that good, sorry to say.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

That reminds me, I honestly really don't like Grand King Ghidorah's design. There's something about the necks that look awkward to me and the faces are weird. I've never really understood the praise GKG gets.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

I used to love GKG because he was like a modernized showa, but now he looks really bland to me, and he's just like a stiff bandai figure.
Resized Image