Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Speaking of Kong, that Netflix show: Kong: King of the Apes, is pretty good for kids show. I only caught a handful of episodes.

It's also interesting that both Netflix Godzilla and King Kong related things are based in the future.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

-incoming pitch forks and torches-

King Kong vs. Godzilla > Mothra vs. Godzilla

To verify, I'm speaking of the JAPANESE versions. Not the American versions.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Nope. Doesn't help. Still pitchforks and torches. :)

To be fair, while I've recently developed a newfound appreciation for MvG, I felt this was for a long time, too- and I'd still only rank KKvG slightly under it, myself.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:Nope. Doesn't help. Still pitchforks and torches. :)

To be fair, while I've recently developed a newfound appreciation for MvG, I felt this was for a long time, too- and I'd still only rank KKvG slightly under it, myself.
It's hard because I just think MvG is *so* overrated. So that kind of twists my opinion a bit.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:-incoming pitch forks and torches-

Although both movies are among my favorites, I'm with you in ranking KKvsG higher. Mothra vs. Godzilla is a really solid, entertaining entry with great effects, but it can play a little flat at times, and has a major narrative stumble in the third act. King Kong vs. Godzilla is a completely unique entry, and the handful of more serious scenes balance out the broad comedy in a way that really makes the movie work from beginning to end.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

This video sums up how I feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgfHtx2MJk
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

TheRedKing1979 wrote:This video sums up how I feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgfHtx2MJk
There was quite a few points that I agree with, but Ford Brody's involvement wherever there was destruction felt forced.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've never been the slightest bit concerned with how much sense the time travel elements make in vs King Ghidorah. I know that completely ruins the movie for a lot of people, but it's never been a factor for me. I quite enjoy the movie as a whole, and the time travel, regardless of execution, gives it a unique and memorable story that stands out from the rest of the series.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote:I've never been the slightest bit concerned with how much sense the time travel elements make in vs King Ghidorah. I know that completely ruins the movie for a lot of people, but it's never been a factor for me. I quite enjoy the movie as a whole, and the time travel, regardless of execution, gives it a unique and memorable story that stands out from the rest of the series.
Agreed completely.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote:I've never been the slightest bit concerned with how much sense the time travel elements make in vs King Ghidorah. I know that completely ruins the movie for a lot of people, but it's never been a factor for me. I quite enjoy the movie as a whole, and the time travel, regardless of execution, gives it a unique and memorable story that stands out from the rest of the series.
For me, what's important there is that Godzilla is a historical inevitability. Exactly how the mechanics of that play out take a back seat.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The time travel element was never a problem. It added a bit of flavor to the film, and served its purpose.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I do not want Mechagodzilla in the MonsterVerse. Why should they anyways? The theme is Man vs. Nature and by adding Mechagodzilla would rob away any remaining connection the theme ever had. Besides Pacific Rim already has Monsters vs. Robots covered so we don't need it in the MonsterVerse.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I do not want Mechagodzilla in the MonsterVerse. Why should they anyways? The theme is Man vs. Nature and by adding Mechagodzilla would rob away any remaining connection the theme ever had. Besides Pacific Rim already has Monsters vs. Robots covered so we don't need it in the MonsterVerse.
I don't think it would stray away from that theme too much, since MG would be man-made, and not a creation of nature/evolution.

P.S. OOT: Post #2600! :)
Last edited by G-Matt on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

G-Matt wrote:I don't think it would stray away from that theme too much, since MG would be man-made, and not a creation of nature/evolution.
You get what I mean about Man vs. Nature though. Again too Pacific Rim already has monsters vs. robots covered. No need for it in the MonsterVerse. I'd like a different approach please and thank you. Leave the MonsterVerse simply to monsters fighting other monsters.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Besides Pacific Rim already has Monsters vs. Robots covered so we don't need it in the MonsterVerse.
Well that's extremely dumb logic. I guess we don't need anymore shark movies, Jaws has it covered. We don't need anymore superhero movies, Dark Knight has it covered. Hell, we don't even need anymore giant monster movies since Godzilla (1954) has it covered.

Just because others have done it is no excuse to avoid putting your own spin on it. The MonsterVerse's way of handling a giant mecha would be completely different from the way Pacific Rim handles it. Same basic idea, very different thematic interpretations.

And I can't stress this enough: the "IT'S NOT REALISTIC" argument needs to fucking die. It's such a hypocritical argument. You can buy mankind building Jaegers in less than a year since the first kaiju attack, but Mechagodzilla is suddenly too far out there? Who cares? Who literally cares? Stop hindering the creative potential the MonsterVerse has just because of some stupid "rule" that hasn't even been established by anyone on the MonsterVerse team.

There IS no "Man vs. Nature" theme in the MonsterVerse because the MonsterVerse has only existed since May of last year. Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island both started off as completely independent from each other and were never originally pitched with the idea of a cinematic universe tying them together. Just because both films share a similar theme does NOT make it the overarching plan for the universe at large. Especially when in the next film we're likely going to have a completely alien monster in the form of King Ghidorah.

I want this stupid "REALISTIC" running gag to die already. It has no foundation besides personal interpretation of two completely independently produced films.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If you watch it with the right mindset, then you can say it’s one of the best.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote:

I don't think he does shrooms.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There is no Man vs Nature theme in G14 to begin with. More like man stand around gawking while monsters fight except they'd rather focus on the gawking and not the fighting.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I do not want Mechagodzilla in the MonsterVerse. Why should they anyways? The theme is Man vs. Nature and by adding Mechagodzilla would rob away any remaining connection the theme ever had. Besides Pacific Rim already has Monsters vs. Robots covered so we don't need it in the MonsterVerse.
I only agree with this because we're already getting a new Mechagodzilla in like three months with the second anime film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

I don't think he does shrooms.
Considering some of the things I've read on here recently, I think I might have taken some and I'm still trippin bawls.