What's you favourite incarnation of Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Gojira (1954)
15%
Showa Godzilla (1955-1975)
23%
Heisei Godzilla (1984-1995)
15%
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla (1998)
8%
Zilla Junior (Godzilla: The Series)
No votes
Godzilla from G2K (1999)
4%
Godzilla from GXM (2000)
4%
Godzilla from GMK (2001)
8%
Godzilla from the Kiryu Saga (2002-2003)
4%
Godzilla from Final Wars (2004)
No votes
Gareth Edwards' Godzilla (2014)
15%
Shin Godzilla (2016)
4%

Total votes: 26

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Please feel free to submit your vote and express your thoughts, opinions and reasons in the comment section down below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: What's you favourite incarnation of Godzilla?

Post by Ivo-goji »

Showa Godzilla is probably my favorite. Design wise I really like Mosugoji.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Showa Godzilla. He's pretty flexible in terms of story telling and is one tough ass mofo. The 64 suit is also the definitive Godzilla look.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Who voted for the 98 Godzilla? Just curious.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Heisei, an iconic and great looking design but the quality of his movies is very debatable .

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

GMK - not only do I adore the heavyset, intimidating design, but his indiscriminately evil attitude and intentional actions make him one of the most frightening Godzillas. He nears cartoonish exaggeration, while maintaining a legitimately powerful presence onscreen.

FW's Godzilla is a close runner up; he has no grace whatsoever, only wishing to destroy. He's probably the most literal interpretation of the character yet, characteristics-wise, and it can be fun to watch.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Keep in mind people that this list refers to the incarnations, as in different versions of the same character in terms of continuity, as opposed to the designs and suits themselves.

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

GMK is easily my favorite, those souless blank eyes are amazing.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

'54 is Godzilla to me. Everything else is a fun or interesting reinterpretation, but '54 - the movie, the design, the character - that's what Godzilla is.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

eabaker wrote:'54 is Godzilla to me. Everything else is a fun or interesting reinterpretation, but '54 - the movie, the design, the character - that's what Godzilla is.
I concur. This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Definitely Gareth Edward's Godzilla.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

eabaker wrote:'54 is Godzilla to me. Everything else is a fun or interesting reinterpretation, but '54 - the movie, the design, the character - that's what Godzilla is.
I like to think of MegaroGoji or perhaps MogeGoji as the 'standard' Godzilla; more than anything, a threat, but one capable of thought and willing to defend itself (and, therefore, us) under any means necessary. A villain, but not one dead set against any one goal.

ShodaiGoji's a bit too animalistic to really sum up the entire character; in fact, he's more or less a blank slate, and rightly so. Godzilla developed a bit of personality as time went on that '54 really didn't (and didn't need to) capture.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Mechagigan wrote:I like to think of MegaroGoji or perhaps MogeGoji as the 'standard' Godzilla; more than anything, a threat, but one capable of thought and willing to defend itself (and, therefore, us) under any means necessary. A villain, but not one dead set against any one goal.

ShodaiGoji's a bit too animalistic to really sum up the entire character; in fact, he's more or less a blank slate, and rightly so. Godzilla developed a bit of personality as time went on that '54 really didn't (and didn't need to) capture.
Keep in mind, this is about incarnations, not suits or designs.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Godzilla 1999/2000. Yeah, i know he's quite overrated because of his constant use in the Atari/Pipeworks games, but his movie (the USA cut, that is) was the first japanese Godzilla movie i watched and made me fall in love with the kaiju/toku genre. Plus, he's got a kickass design (even if many aren't fond of the green scales and purple, super saiyan hair-shaped scutes) and perfectly conveys Goji's nature as an anti-hero in his movie.
I also love GMK Godzilla, with his soulless eyes and demonic nature, Heisei Godzilla from 89-95, Showa Godzilla, Original Gojira, LegendaryGoji and the new Godzilla too.

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

'54 Gojira. Love him the best, along with the movie.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:I like to think of MegaroGoji or perhaps MogeGoji as the 'standard' Godzilla; more than anything, a threat, but one capable of thought and willing to defend itself (and, therefore, us) under any means necessary. A villain, but not one dead set against any one goal.

Keep in mind, this is about incarnations, not suits or designs.
That's what I mean - I see Megaro or Moge as much more of all-encompassing Godzillas. Not saying Eabaker can't have his opinion or anything, just considering which incarnation really is the closest to being the 'best', or more accurately, safest.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Mechagigan wrote:That's what I mean - I see Megaro or Moge as much more of all-encompassing Godzillas. Not saying Eabaker can't have his opinion or anything, just considering which incarnation really is the closest to being the 'best', or more accurately, safest.
That's alright, just wanted to make sure.