What unmade Godzilla film would you've wanted to see?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What unmade Godzilla film would you've wanted to see?

Bride of Godzilla
6%
The Volcano Monsters
No votes
Frankenstein vs. Godzilla
No votes
Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah
No votes
Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon
No votes
All Monsters Attack Directive
No votes
Godzilla vs. Redmoon
No votes
Godzilla vs. the Space Monsters: Earth Defense Directive
No votes
The Return of King Ghidorah
No votes
Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress
2%
Godzilla vs. Bagan
17%
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3-D
No votes
Mothra vs. Bagan
No votes
Godzilla vs. Mechanikong
2%
Godzilla vs. Gigamoth
No votes
Godzilla vs. Mechamothra
2%
Godzilla vs. Berserk
2%
Godzilla '96
19%
Godzilla vs. Astrogodzilla
No votes
Godzilla vs. Ghostgodzilla
4%
GODZILLA 2 (1998)
9%
Godzilla Reborn
2%
Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
19%
Godzilla vs. Gamera
11%
Godzilla 3D to the MAX
4%

Total votes: 47

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: What unmade Godzilla film would you've wanted to see?

Post by LegendZilla »

Look what I've found! It is actual concept art of Ghost Godzilla by Shinji Nishikawa!

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

For me, it's a tie between Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla and Godzilla vs Gamera. Godzilla vs Gamera, well... it's pretty obvious why I would love to see it, but, for Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla, I just would have loved to see Angurius in the Hesisi Series, and see Godzilla basically fight himself... sorta.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mastergodzilla wrote:Godzilla vs Gamera, well... it's pretty obvious why I would love to see it
This is not obvious to me. I've never had any desire to see Godzilla and Gamera together in any "official" capacity; I actually think it seems like a pretty bad idea.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

eabaker wrote:
Mastergodzilla wrote:Godzilla vs Gamera, well... it's pretty obvious why I would love to see it
This is not obvious to me. I've never had any desire to see Godzilla and Gamera together in any "official" capacity; I actually think it seems like a pretty bad idea.
It allegedly happened as a stage show in the 70s but pretty much the only proof of it happening is August Ragones word so take that as you will

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I'm surprised that "Godzilla vs Kamacuras" or "Godzilla vs M" are not on the list.

Unless they were just rumors...
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I wish Godzilla 94 came out when I was a kid.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla sounds interesting...but it basically would have been in place of Godzilla vs Destoroyah which I love with a passion.

The 94/96 film would certainly have been a more faithful/classical type of Godzilla approach than the 98 film....the Stan Winston design for Godzilla in that film was pretty fantastic, if you ask me.

A sequel to the 98 film COULD have been interesting, if there had been a bit of a notion to respond to fan criticism and evolve it accordingly. That final offspring could have been exposed to further nuclear radiation/waste as it grew, mutating it to an adult that looked a bit more like classic Godzilla and had the atomic breath...and one that couldn't be killed by missiles and was more aggressive. Could have been interesting.

Kaneko's original vision for GMK...with Varan and Anguirus, the Gotengo, and a maser tanks...could have been a pretty epic film.

I know they at least briefly considered Final Wars as a continuation of the Heisei series. I would have LOVED that if they perhaps could have brought back Takao Okawara as the director and given him the same resources/budget that Final Wars had. Still keeping fingers crossed that the Anime film is a return to the Heisei Series.

Also...it just seems crazy that out of all of the pitched and potential films that could have featured Bagan in one form or another...none of them ever came to fruition.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Mothra vs Bagan is my number one most desired uncreated project- more than any scrapped Godzilla film in fact.

Speaking of unmade kaiju films outside the Godzilla series, the other two I'd have most liked to see are the planned collaboration between Toho and Hammer Studios about the Loch Ness Monster, and Willis O'Brien's concept for King Kong vs Frankenstein. Would have been great to see ideas like that realized at the time they were conceived.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

It is just fun to go through the timeline, and at every interval sort of think about or pitch a 'what if' type of scenario.

What if Godzilla Raids Again had been grabbed up and adapted for the US in the same way as King of the Monsters, and "Americanized" as a sequel to that film? With Raymond Burr returning and everything?

What if Godzilla vs The Sea Monster were made as a King Kong film as it was originally intended?

What if All Monsters Attack never happened, and Godzilla vs Hedorah was directed by Ishiro Honda and scored by Akira Ifukube?

What if the 3D American Godzilla film pitched in the early 80s had happened?

What if the 94/96 Godzilla film were made and was a big hit?

What if that Godzilla Reborn, a US sequel to Godzilla 2000...had been made?

Just thinking about the ways different films happening/not happening might have impacted the films in the immediate years following, or the overall timeline of the Godzilla franchise in general, is very interesting.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I think it would have been cool if Toho backed Nakajima with his Godzilla vs The Wolfman project.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Chrispy_G wrote:
What if Godzilla Raids Again had been grabbed up and adapted for the US in the same way as King of the Monsters, and "Americanized" as a sequel to that film? With Raymond Burr returning and everything?
Volcano Monsters?
Chrispy_G wrote:
What if All Monsters Attack never happened, and Godzilla vs Hedorah was directed by Ishiro Honda and scored by Akira Ifukube?
This could have been the darkest film in Godzilla history, more than the original possibly.

On the other hand, could Godzilla vs Hedorah exist in any form without Yoshimitsu Banno?
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I think it would have been cool if Toho backed Nakajima with his Godzilla vs The Wolfman project.
Is that still a thing/was it released?
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Saansilt wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:I think it would have been cool if Toho backed Nakajima with his Godzilla vs The Wolfman project.
I was actually just reading up on it. Nakajima had been splicing footage together trying to push it for a DVD release and I guess he released a picture on his Facebook stating it would coming summer of 2016. Obviously that's come and gone so who knows.
I would love for another classic showa era film. I think I would be more excited to see an unreleased showa era film then anything new coming out.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Saansilt wrote:
Not released but Toho wants to see the finished film before deciding if they want to release it

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Chrispy_G wrote:I would have LOVED that if they perhaps could have brought back Takao Okawara as the director and given him the same resources/budget that Final Wars had.
Personally, I don't really like Okawara's movies outside of Godzilla 2000. (Although Destoroyah has it's moments, I definitely prefer Kazuki Omori's films) I would like to hear why you chose Okawara.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I suppose I just fall on the other side of that argument. I absolutely love Godzilla vs Destoroyah. It is one of my favorites in the franchise, and I suppose I just romanticize the potential of Okawara directing a sequel/followup to that film/series, but with the budget of Final Wars at his disposal.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Chrispy_G wrote:It is just fun to go through the timeline, and at every interval sort of think about or pitch a 'what if' type of scenario.

What if Godzilla Raids Again had been grabbed up and adapted for the US in the same way as King of the Monsters, and "Americanized" as a sequel to that film? With Raymond Burr returning and everything
I suppose it could work. If it was successful, Toho might consider making more sequels prior to King Kong for an international audience, perhaps just having an all-American cast, with the action scenes all done by Japanese crew. Perhaps Momoko Kochi and a few others from Gojira and Raids Again could make Hollywood debuts if the Americanized Raids Again does better than expected.

Although with the success of this Godzilla franchise, would we still get Mothra or King Kong to fight Godzilla? How different would it be from our own movies, I don't know. Maybe a Hollywood version would come out earlier and we'd get Harryhausen working on the effects for a movie or a few, or they just stick to the suits. Who knows? And if that happens, I doubt that we'd get any of the classic monsters unless there was some co-production in place, and if we did, it could be in Harryhausen's hands instead of Tsuburaya's. Who knows what this would do to Ultraman or the rest of TV tokusatsu, but I bet it would be different today.
What if Godzilla vs The Sea Monster were made as a King Kong film as it was originally intended?
Imagine the movie, but with Kong Kong. That's basically how I view it.
The darkest film, assuming Banno bailed and Honda was given the reins.
What if the 3D American Godzilla film pitched in the early 80s had happened?
If it was successful, then it will basically spark a new interest in Godzilla, and probably launch careers for all involved. The sequel might coem around the same time as Biollante, but be on a different trajectory. Or the movie changes gears, gets darker and the movie still is a hit and surprises studios. Other kaiju films come about, or the studio bottoms out and a new studio snaps up the rights for a sequel, or brings over 1984 and invests far more money into 1985 as a serious measure. Meaning, there are more American scenes, or they ship Burr to Japan to do a sequel that has a bigger backing from Hollywood.

That said, Godzilla could come out to be taken seriously as a movie monster of its own right by mainstream audiences earlier.
What if the 94/96 Godzilla film were made and was a big hit?
The Millennium series never comes out, unless Toho intended for 2000 to be made, which I doubt given their insistence of bowing out on the franchise.
I believe the project would've went through had the initial plan been accepted, meaning Sony accepted the 120 million budget of Debont's and goes forward with his version of the movie. MechaGodzilla is the final movie of the Heisei series.

Godzilla gets an animated series and that could be a hit. Poaching animators from the studio who did BTAS's first season, the show proves to be a hi, but fizzles around the third season.

The rest of the trilogy are spaced with one in 1998, and then another in 2002. Debont's third film bottoms out due to too many monsters and plot elements producers wanted in, while he can't handle it. The rights aren't allowed to expire, and a reboot that's more akin to Gojira debuts in 2007 or 2008. Fans complain how much darker it is than the previous series, but the reboot manages to gain ground. Maybe we see more remakes of kaiju films like Gorgo and several others, but seeing as Godzilla hasn't moved new Kaiju competition to the fold right now, it would take at least a few years until it takes to the bandwagon.

This would force any Godzilla movie, whether it's Reborn based or on the success of Debont's trilogy, to be better.
What if that Godzilla Reborn, a US sequel to Godzilla 2000...had been made?
A series of lower budgeted Godzilla movies become a staple in cinemas. They're made on the same budget as 2000, and their larger grosses lead them to keep it that way. Maybe they don't adhere to continuity as fiercely, but Jamie Lee Curtis becomes the American Miki Saegusa because why not reuse a great idea? Maybe a Japanese director does one, or there's a higher budget film. either way, it tanks, and the franchise goes back to Japan.

Or, the effects get largely improved as the series goes on, and traditional effects gain a resurgence in Hollywood, which GREATLY affects the reboots of the Wolfman, superhero movies and other genre films. The only people who use CG are either those who can afford to make it polished well or its a lower budgeted tier.

Godzilla 2008 destroys Cloverfield at the box office either way unless audiences are burned out.

Just thinking about the ways different films happening/not happening might have impacted the films in the immediate years following, or the overall timeline of the Godzilla franchise in general, is very interesting.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:I'm surprised that "Godzilla vs Kamacuras" or "Godzilla vs M" are not on the list.
I wish I could add them in, but due to the maximum limit of 25.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:I'm surprised that "Godzilla vs Kamacuras" or "Godzilla vs M" are not on the list.
I wish I could add them in, but due to the maximum limit of 25.
Ah. I would love to how those two would have turned out!
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

DaruniaDancing
Samurai

Post by DaruniaDancing »

Watching Godzilla '98 now, I definitely wish there was a sequel. It was a really different take on the character which I enjoyed.