The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Smuggers » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 am

KingKong2005 wrote:There's a serious flaw in the logic tho but ay what're you gonna do

Welcome to kaiju movies.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Location: My parents basement

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby ManuJM1997 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am

KingKong2005 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:
TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:18:10...
https://youtu.be/xhSnKNwR6zg

I dunno why people think the MUTOs are weak.

It's not that, but they don't hit as hard as nukes (nor should any kaiju). He holds very solid points there. Godzilla shouldn't be surviving a fall like that if he's getting weakened and bleeds to kaiju. If he lands on the ground it'd be total bull, but him landing in the water I can barely buy. He's right, Godzilla is becoming way too overpowered.


Godzilla has been destroying planets and poop for some quite time in other media, and the anime novels had entire continental plates falling over him.
Godzilla's always been overpowered
Last edited by ManuJM1997 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 am

Smuggers wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:There's a serious flaw in the logic tho but ay what're you gonna do

Welcome to kaiju movies.


And superhero movies for that matter.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:There's a serious flaw in the logic tho but ay what're you gonna do

Welcome to kaiju movies.


And superhero movies for that matter.

Welcome to fiction!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

KingKong2005
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:33 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby KingKong2005 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:04 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:Welcome to kaiju movies.


And superhero movies for that matter.

Welcome to fiction!

Population: My girlfriend
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6853
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:05 pm

KingKong2005 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
And superhero movies for that matter.

Welcome to fiction!

Population: My girlfriend


This should be a shirt. :lol:

Not that I'd have any reason to wear it, of course...

:(

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Ben Shapiro » Wed May 01, 2019 4:18 am

KingKong2005 wrote:Godzilla is becoming way too overpowered.

Have you ever seen a Godzilla movie before?
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5281
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed May 01, 2019 5:43 am

Godzilla is Overpowered Incarnate lmao.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

KingKong2005
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:33 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby KingKong2005 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:32 am

Ben Shapiro wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Godzilla is becoming way too overpowered.

Have you ever seen a Godzilla movie before?

Obviously I have, haha :lol:

The Legendary take on him was more animalistic and showed he had weaknesses. I always liked that narrative better than the overpowered Godzilla. Audiences can't pinpoint what his weaknesses are and aren't anymore if he's surviving falls from near space. Hell, not even 20 Ghidorah's would remotely bother him. In 2014, Godzilla was just more like an animal and wasn't this OP thing he's turning into in 2019. I liked it before, personally.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14042
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed May 01, 2019 6:33 am

The general audience doesn't care about power levels.
Image

User avatar
ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Location: My parents basement

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby ManuJM1997 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:38 am

UltramanGoji wrote:The general audience doesn't care about power levels.


^This

The only people who really care about power levels are the Internet nerds that make power output calculations of unrealistic as hell things...of which I'm part of.
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Dr. Professor » Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 am

As long as the movie's bangin, I don't really care who's OP and who isn't.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

Online
User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 826
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed May 01, 2019 8:52 am

Ichiro's daisy dukes. That alone is the most cringe worthy thing in a Godzilla movie.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 am

Having seen KKvG last night... that smoking scene is really uncomfortable to sit through for several reasons. That might be one of the most grossly dated scenes in the entire series.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Terasawa » Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 am

I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

I think the more dated aspect of that scene today is the use of “black face” to help portray Japanese as Pacific Islanders. I can usually overlook embarrassing things like that, but it’s hard to in that case.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Terasawa wrote:I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

I think the more dated aspect of that scene today is the use of “black face” to help portray Japanese as Pacific Islanders. I can usually overlook embarrassing things like that, but it’s hard to in that case.


Yeah, the black face is definitely one of the several reasons that scene made me uncomfortable. Sadly, Mothra did black face too.

I don't remember if the later 60s films did that, but I have Mothra vs Godzilla next on my marathon today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby Dr. Professor » Wed May 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

I think the more dated aspect of that scene today is the use of “black face” to help portray Japanese as Pacific Islanders. I can usually overlook embarrassing things like that, but it’s hard to in that case.


Yeah, the black face is definitely one of the several reasons that scene made me uncomfortable. Sadly, Mothra did black face too.

I don't remember if the later 60s films did that, but I have Mothra vs Godzilla next on my marathon today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Mothra vs. Godzilla has it as well. It's much less noticable (though that might have more to do with how well done the scene is in other aspects), but it's still there. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep has it too, iirc.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:07 pm

KingKong2005 wrote:The Legendary take on him was more animalistic and showed he had weaknesses. I always liked that narrative better than the overpowered Godzilla. Audiences can't pinpoint what his weaknesses are and aren't anymore if he's surviving falls from near space. Hell, not even 20 Ghidorah's would remotely bother him. In 2014, Godzilla was just more like an animal and wasn't this OP thing he's turning into in 2019. I liked it before, personally.

Eh, I mean to a monster like Godzilla an atomic bomb would be more like a grenade to him, maybe think about it that way. So when battling monsters there's more a of chance to repeatedly get beaten and receive fatal blows.

Ultimately though, like others have said it doesn't really matter. I barely think twice about it, especially if the narrative is engaging.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
LockBite
Interpol Agent
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby LockBite » Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

I think the more dated aspect of that scene today is the use of “black face” to help portray Japanese as Pacific Islanders. I can usually overlook embarrassing things like that, but it’s hard to in that case.


Yeah, the black face is definitely one of the several reasons that scene made me uncomfortable. Sadly, Mothra did black face too.

I don't remember if the later 60s films did that, but I have Mothra vs Godzilla next on my marathon today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

The blackface never made me uncomfortable, because I’ve always figured the filmmakers (Japanese people in the 1960s) had a pretty innocent view on it; if it weren’t for minstrelsy in the past, maybe blackface wouldn’t be offensive today.

User avatar
EternalMothra
Ronin
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:23 am

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Postby EternalMothra » Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 am

One of the cringiest moments for me is in Godzilla 2000 when Katagiri hollers "GODZILLAAAAAA!!" dramatically before dying. It is so unbelievably campy. I just felt like that movie was trying so hard to be serious... but setting itself back with moments like that.
Image


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests