The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Dv-218 wrote:Say what you want about the USA Godzilla dubs, atleast they are not as bad/cringeworthy as the Russian Heisei dubs lol. Everyone is voiced by the same fucking dude in a monotone voice, and you can still hear the original dialogue underneath. Hearing Miki Saegusa speak like a 40+ tired, drunk Russian man is priceless :lol:
Hehe, what? :lol: any links to this?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dunno if it can be found on youtube, found a russian site called "fantastika-online". Not sure if I can post it here lol.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Dv-218 wrote:Dunno if it can be found on youtube, found a russian site called "fantastika-online". Not sure if I can post it here lol.
Oh wow dude, you really weren’t kidding… you can hear the Japanese audio followed by a 3 second pause, then the Russian dub audio comes in, which is literally the same person for every character… including the female parts.

Damn, I think I just learned to appreciate the Millennium dubs a tad more.…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

And here's the absolute best part: for some reason, the Russian dub of "Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla"(1993) is called "Legend of the dinosaur 2"- as in, a sequel to this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_ ... ster_Birds
:lol:

EDIT: Also, "Godzilla vs Mothra"(1992) is called "The dinosaur returns" :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would be interesting to hear their dub of AMA and hear Minya in that voice.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Every time I hear "Godzilla" and "Russia" in the same sentence (and even moreso if Mechagodzilla is involved) I think of that old "I too love the Godzilla movie" copypasta
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

G2000 wrote:Every time I hear "Godzilla" and "Russia" in the same sentence (and even moreso if Mechagodzilla is involved) I think of that old "I too love the Godzilla movie" copypasta
What's that?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Living Corpse wrote:What's that?
I too love the Godzilla movie. In long nights in Soviet Russia, Godzilla Movie brought joy for many hours. It has distracted us from harsh reality of brethren dying in Cold Russian Winter outside. And potential of us doing same. Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. I remember mine Papa rummaging for alcohol. He has long day at Mill. We settle in front of television, and bang on antenna until we receive signal. Mine Mama would make dinner, and Papa would scream obscenities at her when the meat came cold. She would call him alcoholic. He would then grab her by hair and pull her into bedroom where there was much screaming. I then got to sit in Papa's chair and watch movie. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Aw man, I remember this, just recently used that on Reddit the other day :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm glad that Godzilla brings comfort to people. It makes up for all the destruction he's caused.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

edgaguirus wrote:I'm glad that Godzilla brings comfort to people. It makes up for all the destruction he's caused.
#Godzilladidnothingwrong comrade.
#slatternking

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:I'm glad that Godzilla brings comfort to people. It makes up for all the destruction he's caused.
Yes he has........hes a thief.

He stole my heart :oops: .

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

goji89 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Yes he has........hes a thief.

He stole my heart :oops: .
Годзилла is a good tovarish :D
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Anyone else think it’s weird how in the 70s films there’s always some countryside right next to the downtown core of Tokyo? I’ve been to Tokyo, it ain’t like that, and I bet it wasn’t even in the 70s.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah, at least it made sense in Terror of Mechagodzilla, Mechagodzilla uprooted streets and Titano blew it away. Basically the countryside in that film is where Tokyo was. Keyword was.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Anyone else think it’s weird how in the 70s films there’s always some countryside right next to the downtown core of Tokyo? I’ve been to Tokyo, it ain’t like that, and I bet it wasn’t even in the 70s.
That's because it was too expensive to make Tokyo models to be destroyed for every movie

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzillian wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Anyone else think it’s weird how in the 70s films there’s always some countryside right next to the downtown core of Tokyo? I’ve been to Tokyo, it ain’t like that, and I bet it wasn’t even in the 70s.
That's because it was too expensive to make Tokyo models to be destroyed for every movie
David Kalat actually talks about this in his book, A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series. It was apparently just as expensive, so the most likely reason was because Godzilla was a hero at this point, so they set in the country side all the time to avoid having him cause collateral damage.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
David Kalat actually talks about this in his book, A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series. It was apparently just as expensive, so the most likely reason was because Godzilla was a hero at this point, so they set in the country side all the time to avoid having him cause collateral damage.
Just as expensive to build the set maybe, but if nothing is getting smashed then you could probably reuse it a lot. I wonder if those countryside sets are actually just the same set shot in different ways for every movie?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It wouldn't be surprising. Reusing sets is one way to knock a little off the budget.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Wait really? JUST as expensive to make hillsides as to make a miniature city? I find that a tad hard to believe.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.